House Price Crash Forum

Boe: Approvals Up 5% To 60,518

HOLA441
HOLA442

I really can't see prices rising much in 2010, but I really can't see them crashing when you've got strong numbers like these!

http://www.bankofeng...nov/lendind.pdf

approvals.

we are the land of broken chains...more approvals= more dissappointment. the papers were full of recovery news but bankers letting the side down.

HOLA443

Updated charts.

approvals1109.gif

Average mortgage value dipped slightly in November to £137,381. The peak was £148,231 in December 2007.

AvMortApproval1109.gif

The gap between BBA mortgage approvals and the total recorded by the BoE continues to increase, but we're still way below the peak difference of 56,837 in January 2007.

The low was 7,881 in January 2009. In November it was 15,805.

BOEvsBBAapprovals.gif

HOLA444

Could just be the extra people looking to beat stamp duty deadline, bringing forward some demand from Dec and Jan?

Isn't there also a bit of a rush to get in by Xmas, mortgage being sorted some time in November?

Could be a slow couple of months now!

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

I really can't see prices rising much in 2010, but I really can't see them crashing when you've got strong numbers like these!

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/statistics/li/2009/nov/lendind.pdf

well, november was an uncharacteristically mild month. And in theory, there could have been an unusually high

number in the first half of the month trying to get in before the stamp duty end.

:huh:

HOLA448

There will always be strong demand for houses as we are an over populated little island. Even with 3 million unemployed there is still a large population of people working and wanting property. In my view the only thing that will bring prices down is when interest rates go up or sterling has a crisis which may or may not happen. Only time will tell.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

There will always be strong demand for houses as we are an over populated little island. Even with 3 million unemployed there is still a large population of people working and wanting property. In my view the only thing that will bring prices down is when interest rates go up or sterling has a crisis which may or may not happen. Only time will tell.

where are all the working people who havent got houses.

Prices are all determined by lending...just check the average loan size against prices and you wont go far wrong.

HOLA4411

where are all the working people who havent got houses.

Prices are all determined by lending...just check the average loan size against prices and you wont go far wrong.

Rent I guess like in parts of europe. I'd love to see the prices come down to a sensible level, like whats happened in the USA and in Ireland. Who knows whats around corner.

HOLA4412

JUST A little homework would of told you...1 million houses for sale on rightmove and There are nearly a million properties lying empty in the UK waiting for someone to come along to turn them into homes again...

you have fell for the propaganda ;););)

http://www.emptyhomes.com/britains_empty_homes.html...

HOLA4413

JUST A little homework would of told you...1 million houses for sale on rightmove and There are nearly a million properties lying empty in the UK waiting for someone to come along to turn them into homes again...

you have fell for the propaganda ;););)

http://www.emptyhomes.com/britains_empty_homes.html

*) Fixed the link in the above quote to make things easy for the lazy...

Really surprising is that the number of vacant properties is actually increasing year-on-year by about 20.000 properties: see http://www.theyworkforyou.com/wrans/?id=2009-10-15b.292814.h

Barbara Follett (Minister of State (the East of England), Regional Affairs; Stevenage, Labour)

The following table shows estimates of the number of empty dwellings owned by local authorities, registered social landlords and in the private sector in England in each of the last three years. 2006 2007 2008

Local authority 42,870 40,960 36,940

Registered social landlords 30,170 30,770 29,240

Private enterprise 675,120 691,590 717,840

Total number of vacants 748,160 763,320 784,020

HOLA4414

Yep - just like Japan....

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Personally, I think we could be at the Return to "Normal" phase as I have detailed here

http://retirementinvestingtoday.blogspot.com/2010/01/uk-property-market-december-2009-update.html

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

approvals.

we are the land of broken chains...more approvals= more dissappointment. the papers were full of recovery news but bankers letting the side down.

+1

What can you tell from approvals?

Surely the only indicator of real growth would be sustained increases in completions of mortgages for FTBs and upgraders.

All else is noise. Unfortunately the 'people' seem to want the media to spin anything and everything as evidence for HPI.

HOLA4420

explain normal? 2007 normal or 1999 normal.........ps i think you are wrong.....................do you not believe in bubbles?

Have you looked at the link provided where I chart where I think we are in the cycle and explain my thoughts in detail. The charts suggest we may be nearing the end of the dead cat bounce phase (Return to "normal").

I very much believe in bubbles and busts. They've occurred for hundreds of years across many asset classes. Why would then stop occuring now.

HOLA4421

We're 50% less densely populated than Japan, at about the same density as Germany and Netherlands, slightly more than Italy, so maybe there's something else explaining it.... :lol:

Being Dutch I simply have to comment on this. The population density in the UK is in reality far less than in the Netherlands. The Dutch population density is ~400/km^2 which puts it ahead of Japan (340/km^2) and very far ahead of the UK which has a population density of ~250/km^2! (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_and_dependencies_by_population_density)

*) For completeness: last time i saw the Dutch news house-prices were declining steadily even though expensive and houses are of a very high standard in comparison to my experience in the UK.

**) For people putting in the argument that a lot of area in the UK is not suitable to build on. If I look around the Bristol area when driving to London (or to Cardiff) there is an awful lot of space next to existing train or road-connections that the Dutch would have used to build towns seeing the problems that exist of unaffordable housing!

Edited by moesasji

HOLA4422

England is 375/km^2, almost as much as Netherlands! Either way, the argument about the small, overpopulated island is still false when it comes to explaining house price levels versus income

Being Dutch I simply have to comment on this. The population density in the UK is in reality far less than in the Netherlands. The Dutch population density is ~400/km^2 which puts it ahead of Japan (340/km^2) and very far ahead of the UK which has a population density of ~250/km^2! (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_and_dependencies_by_population_density)

*) For completeness: last time i saw the Dutch news house-prices were declining steadily even though expensive and houses are of a very high standard in comparison to my experience in the UK.

**) For people putting in the argument that a lot of area in the UK is not suitable to build on. If I look around the Bristol area when driving to London (or to Cardiff) there is an awful lot of space next to existing train or road-connections that the Dutch would have used to build towns seeing the problems that exist of unaffordable housing!

Edited by fallingbuzzard

HOLA4423

Sorry, the fools who have bought houses in the last two years will rue the price they paid for another decade.

They are sliding down a bannister of falling house prices in order to sever their scrotum on the inevitable newel post at the bottom of the stairs. What is wrong with these idiots?

HOLA4424

A graph for Nov 1993-2009. Looks to me like we are still 50% down from the peak. :D

The second graph is the amount of adjustment they make to get the seasonally adjusted figures. I started this last night, but updated it for the new data. What surprised me was not that they changed the amount of the SA every time, but they also back dated it. ie. The SA figures for 1993 are reworked every time they release the new figures.

"Who controls the past, controls the future: who controls the present controls the past" (Orwell 37).

HApproveNov09.gif

HOLA4425

England is 375/km^2, almost as much as Netherlands! Either way, the argument about the small, overpopulated island is still false when it comes to explaining house price levels versus income

Clearly off-topic, but I don't see on what source you base this equality between Holland and the UK....the wiki-page I linked to definitely shows the large gap I mentioned: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_and_dependencies_by_population_density ?

I don't think including Guernsey, Jernsey, Gibraltar and Bermuda into the UK would closing of the gap, but couldn't be bothered to add the numbers.

edit) Ignore me : stupid continental European not reading carefully that you mention England instead of UK. :blink:

Edited by moesasji