House Price Crash Forum

Leahey Slams Education

bogbrush

HOLA441

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8306013.stm

Terry Leahey, Chief Exec of Tesco, complains that the education system just isn't churning out the right quality little robots to feed his business requirements.

He was backed up by other consumers of the drone production units, the CBI and the BRC;

Sir Terry's views were echoed by other business leaders.

John Cridland, director general of the CBI, said the Tesco chief's concerns were "shared by a wide range of the business community"

"That's why the CBI is putting so much effort into the partnership between business and education, to tackle these challenges," he added.

The British Retail Consortium says employers are entitled to expect "an education system that equips young people with the right skills and mindset for the world of work"

"Yet, retailers spend huge amounts on training school leavers, who often lack basic skills. Retailing provides a range of opportunities for improving skills and developing careers - vital to those the state has been unable to engage," says the consortium's business environment director, Tom Ironside.

So now we have further proof that the alleged purpose of these units is not to expand the minds and imagination of young people and open them up to greater possibilities, but to produce "young people with the right skills and mindset for the world of work"

As a mid-sized employer my view is that Sir Terry and the rest should just f*ck off and take care of their own businesses and stop asking the state to become more effective at running the Tesco pre-employment training programme.

The whole concept is just sick. I'm not here defending schools, which I agree with Leahey are probably pretty useless on the whole, I'm complaining that the whole sick concept is wrong. Education should be focussed on expansion and discovery and broadening imagination. If it can't do that then it shouldn't get involved as all it will do is harm people.

Edited by bogbrush

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442

Terry Leahey, Chief Exec of Tesco, complains that the educatiion system just isn't churning out the right quality little robots to feed his business requirements.

He was backed up by other consumers of the drone production units, the CBI and the BRC;

So now we have further proof that the alleged purpose of these units is not to expand the minds and imagination of young people and open them up to greater possibilities, but to produce "young people with the right skills and mindset for the world of work"

As a mid-sized employer my view is that Sir Terry and the rest should just f*ck off and take care of their own businesses and stop asking the state to become more effective at running the Tesco pre-employment training programme.

The whole concept is just sick. I'm not here defending schools, which I agree with Leahey are probably pretty useless on the whole, I'm complaining that the whole sick concept is wrong. Education should be focussed on expansion and discovery and broadening imagination. If it can't do that then it shouldn't get involved as all it will do is harm people.

+1

"Parasite wants taxpayer to train his workers."

HOLA443
HOLA444

Check out assistant 'Whats that?'

Me: 'It's broccoli'.

Checkout assistant punches code for broccoli into till / weighing system.

Me (keeping thoughts firmly to myself ): I bet you could name every celebrity thats ever ben to the jungle, couldn't you?

Nearly as good:

Assistant (in his 60s, ffs) in Tescos Barnsley: What's that?

Me: It's garlic.

Assistant: I've never seen that before.

HOLA445

I was helping at my daughters school yesterday, one to one reading with her class of 5/6 year olds.

Part way through we went to see the 'energy bus' in the playground. It is a large minibus from the energy trust decked out with energy saving lightbulbs and a bike with a dynamo hooked up to a radio etc etc.

For half an hour at a time groups of kids were being brainwashed that low energy cack lightbulbs will save the planet from global warming and stop the polar bears from drowning. And that cars are bad and we should walk more and swicth more off at the plug etc etc.

I almost wet myself laughing when she was telling them about how great sustainable energy was because here wind turbine on the roof wasn't working due to lack of wind and here solar toys wouldn't work due to lack of sun.

If they spent the same effort trying to teach our kids to read and write at an early age rather than brainwash them then things may just improve. I do find it disgusting though that the school almost relies on the help of parents to teach basics whilst the teachers concentrate on indoctrination.

Edited by richyc

HOLA446

Me (keeping thoughts firmly to myself ): I bet you could name every celebrity thats ever ben to the jungle, couldn't you?

:)

I had the same thing but with limes & courgettes - young girl in Tescos - wythenshawe...

HOLA447

I was helping at my daughters school yesterday, one to one reading with her class of 5/6 year olds.

Part way through we went to see the 'energy bus' in the playground. It is a large minibus from the energy trust decked out with energy saving lightbulbs and a bike with a dynamo hooked up to a radio etc etc.

For half an hour at a time groups of kids were being brainwashed that low energy cack lightbulbs will save the planet from global warming and stop the polar bears from drowning. And that cars are bad and we should walk more and swicth more off at the plug etc etc.

I almost wet myself laughing when she was telling them about how great sustainable energy was because here wind turbine on the roof wasn't working due to lack of wind and here solar toys wouldn't work due to lack of sun.

If they spent the same effort trying to teach our kids to read and write at an early age rather than brainwash them then things may just improve. I do find it disgusting though that the school almost relies on the help of parents to teach basics whilst the teachers concentrate on indoctrination.

Don't forget that we also need to teach our children that music piracy funds terrorism (The 3 Rs can wait :) )

HOLA448
Guest UK Debt Slave

I find it hard to contain my anger reading things like this.

But this little story kinda sums up what the state education system is all about. It is all about churning out obedient slaves, debt peons, morons who will never question authority, never think and who are conditioned from an early age into subconscious 'fear' a fear that if they don't behave in a certain manner, they will have to face terrible consequences.

What a start in life.

I was never treated like that when I was at school.

It is pure unadulterated evil.

HOLA449
Guest UK Debt Slave

Trust me, the only fresh vegetable she's ever seen is her parents

HOLA4410
Guest tbatst2000

Spot on. Monkeys can be trained, people should be educated.

HOLA4411

But this little story kinda sums up what the state education system is all about. It is all about churning out obedient slaves, debt peons, morons who will never question authority, never think and who are conditioned from an early age into subconscious 'fear' a fear that if they don't behave in a certain manner, they will have to face terrible consequences.

Oh I agree. Education is power so teaching children to think is an absolute no-no in Moron Brown's modern Britain. After all - they may not buy houses, or listen to his endless cr*p, and where would the red party be then eh?

Laughed when I saw the one-eyed wonder's next trick was privatisation of the student loan book. I wonder what the long term implications for student loan interest rates and affordability of higher education will be then? Hmmmm. Let me guess...

The plan seems to be trash free state education so that you can rear an army of unquestioning, terrified little red army conscripts whilst at the same time increasing the cost of higher eduction (which might in some instances actually open your mind) so that its dangerous effects are limited to the select, well monied few. Wouldn't want the average person knowing what the f*ck's going on now would we?

Disgusting.

Edited by JonnyTomes

HOLA4412

I guess they havent been reduced to unquestioning disciplinable worker drone's motivated by the prospect of a lifetime of being paid peanuts in exchange for a lifetime of debt yet then.

Funny re the energy thingy though. One of the local radio stations had some govt sponsored energy saving week a while back. The very next week their sponsor was a local limo company ferrying the chav caller ins round and round the town centre all week in a stretch Hummer blasting out music.

HOLA4413

Me (keeping thoughts firmly to myself ): I bet you could name every celebrity thats ever been to the jungle, couldn't you?

I like paying with change. Fuses blow, they give up and just throw it all in the till.

HOLA4414

I was helping at my daughter's school yesterday. One to one reading with her class of 5/6 year olds.

For half an hour at a time groups of kids were being brainwashed that low energy cack lightbulbs will save the planet from global warming and stop the polar bears from drowning. And that cars are bad and we should walk more and switch more off at the plug etc etc.

I almost wet myself laughing when she was telling them about how great sustainable energy was because her wind turbine on the roof wasn't working due to lack of wind and her solar toys wouldn't work due to lack of sun.

I've made a few corrections. There are still many grammatical errors though and the whole post could do with a rewrite but I haven't the time at the moment.

You're helping the children to read? :unsure:;)

Edited by youthoftoday

HOLA4415

I find it hard to contain my anger reading things like this.

What a start in life.

I was never treated like that when I was at school.

It is pure unadulterated evil.

I believe that this has been going on for many years now. I didn't get the education that my parents did and the kids since couldn't even take a stab at much of what I learnt. It seems that my daughters generation will be lucky to leave the state system being able to read and count with their fingers.

Everyone knows that kids are being dumbed down. Exam qualifications are fast becoming meaningless as employers view them with suspicion because everything is now pointlessly easy.

children are no longer being educated they are simply being schooled and conditioned, learning the basics has become a by product of the system.

HOLA4416

I've made a few corrections. There are still many grammatical errors though and the whole post could do with a rewrite but I haven't the time at the moment.

Well it wasn't that badly written, and I imagine the poster is more than capable of listening to small children's reading.

I'm all for picking on people, but your effort is, in my opnion, misguided.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
Guest skullingtonjoe

Oh dear, their shit wages which won't pay for a lifestyle in teh UK are shit wages that won't even pay for a migrant lifestyle with the sterling crash.

Maybe Tesco should have a pop at Poland's education system on their next job touting exercise abroad.

F*ck Tesco - the food is overpriced and low quality. Better produce can be bought at Lidl (yoghurt, meats etc - the savings made there can buy better fruit and vegetables at Waitrose.)

Who needs Teskank? ;)

HOLA4419

I've made a few corrections. There are still many grammatical errors though, and the whole post could do with rewriting but I do not have the time at the moment.

I made a few corrections to make you sound grown up :P

When I wrote "etc etc" it was not grammatically incorrect, much like in speach when one says " et cetera et cetera".

What I type quickly here and how I start a sentance is largely irrelevant. I could educate many of the teachers in the system about the english language.

It was a little funny but don't be a tool.

Edited by richyc

HOLA4420

I made a few corrections to make you sound grown up :P

When I wrote "etc etc" it was not grammatically incorrect, much like in speach when one says " et cetera et cetera".

What I type quickly here and how I start a sentance is largely irrelevant. I could educate many of the teachers in the system about the english language.

It was a little funny but don't be a tool.

My post was in jest. Just a gentle tease.

I expect you are more than capable of helping a 5 year old learn to read. My daughter's school asks parents to help out too.

Something that would really help with literacy would be the banning of the Nintendo DS and a reduction in the time children spend watching TV. I know people who have bought their two year old a DS. FFS!

HOLA4421

Laughed when I saw the one-eyed wonder's next trick was privatisation of the student loan book. I wonder what the long term implications for student loan interest rates and affordability of higher education will be then? Hmmmm. Let me guess...

Actualy, if deflation were to happen over the long term selling off the student loan book could be one of Bron's better ideas. If the interest rate is still linked to inflation the student could have a negative interest rate while Briwn has got real appreciating money for a non performing asset.

Edited by Rare Bear

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Terry Leahey, Chief Exec of Tesco, complains that the education system just isn't churning out the right quality little robots to feed his business requirements.

Our captains of industry astonish us with their sharpness.They've milked cheap labour for ages,so nice of them to turn up to the party,albeit a bit late.

it's also a security risk.Should we come up against opponents which are a little more intelligent than us in military conflict(which thanks to Dubya we most certainly will in the not too distant future),then he can say goodbye to his little empire because it will all be in smouldering ruins.Having a multitude of stars in front of your A grade at psychobabble is not going to be a great deal assistance.

HOLA4424

and then they endlessly rabbit on mobile phones talking utter nonsense.

what do they think the base-stations run on??...thin air??

HOLA4425

Oh I agree. Education is power so teaching children to think is an absolute no-no in Moron Brown's modern Britain. After all - they may not buy houses, or listen to his endless cr*p, and where would the red party be then eh?

The plan seems to be trash free state education so that you can rear an army of unquestioning, terrified little red army conscripts whilst at the same time increasing the cost of higher eduction (which might in some instances actually open your mind) so that its dangerous effects are limited to the select, well monied few. Wouldn't want the average person knowing what the f*ck's going on now would we?

Disgusting.

if you wan't to know where it's heading then your best bet is to read some of alistair crowleys work.

he,and a few of his compatriots were talking of the "new human" over 100 years ago,and it's aim is to make the human being androgyne.