House Price Crash Forum

Icelandic Stock Market Fell 94%!

HOLA441
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/97cb78ba-a3ea-11...144feabdc0.html

Thank God that can't happen here. Britain has never had any truck with overleveraged, overblown puffed up companies with any of that off-balance sheet trickery. Thank goodness we never succumbed to temptation during the boom, and therefore have had nothing to cover up since.

is that fall in their currency

HOLA442
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/97cb78ba-a3ea-11...144feabdc0.html

Thank God that can't happen here. Britain has never had any truck with overleveraged, overblown puffed up companies with any of that off-balance sheet trickery. Thank goodness we never succumbed to temptation during the boom, and therefore have had nothing to cover up since.

RBS beat the Icelanders. £7.50 to 10p I make that 98.7% fall.

Whatever the Icelanders can do the Scottish Bankers can do better.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
Guest UK Debt Slave
Sounds like there should be some great recovery opportunities in Iceland. Anyone know how to put a punt on it? A grand now should be in with a good chance to be a ten-bagger if it survives long enough ...

They'll accept the Euro

Which of course was the plan all along and the reason why their economy had to be destroyed

I wouldn't invest in any EU country.............. or Iceland

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
Interesting ... from step 3 on the chart: "the stock market rose ninefold, or an average of 44% a year, from 2001 to 2007."

In that context, a 94% fall is not so shocking.

So that's something between 6 and 7 years. Let's take the maximum of 7. That leaves the change at 1.44 ^ 7 * (1 - 0.94), or in other words a 23% fall from 2001. If we say just 6 years it becomes a 47% fall.

So the crucial question is: what currency is each of those figures measured in? Makes a big difference!

And of course, how much of the bubble was accounted for by just three big banks: I expect excluding them will materially affect the figures.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
They'll accept the Euro

Which of course was the plan all along and the reason why their economy had to be destroyed

I wouldn't invest in any EU country.............. or Iceland

Your choice.

My EU investments are doing nicely - including those from more than a year ago. Oh, and my "new Europe" investments are doing even better. Yes, I'm aware they can fall too, but they've held up better than the UK portfolio ...

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
I really want to see what is happening to the man on the street over there

The world didn't end, their government bailed out the banks. Imports became dearer for icelanders, and unemployment has risen considerably. Apparantly there are soup kitchens to help those suffering, but not anything like the images from the US in the 1930s. Most building projects are stopped, and there are lots of new apartments standing empty.

The man in the street is wearing this T-shirt

http://www.flickr.com/photos/borkurdotnet/3221461589/

Can you blame them?

HOLA4417
Your choice.

My EU investments are doing nicely - including those from more than a year ago. Oh, and my "new Europe" investments are doing even better. Yes, I'm aware they can fall too, but they've held up better than the UK portfolio ...

not saying much

Edited by InternationalRockSuperstar

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
The world didn't end, their government bailed out the banks. Imports became dearer for icelanders, and unemployment has risen considerably. Apparantly there are soup kitchens to help those suffering, but not anything like the images from the US in the 1930s. Most building projects are stopped, and there are lots of new apartments standing empty.

The man in the street is wearing this T-shirt

http://www.flickr.com/photos/borkurdotnet/3221461589/

Can you blame them?

Lol I went to iceland earlier this year, and went to that exact shop! And loved the t-shirt, so did everyone I showed the photo too

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
2) I have read that (because of over-leverage) 80% of companies went bust after the South Sea Bubble, and those that remained lost 90% of their value, leading to a 98% destruction of capital. I think by some metrics the recent bubble was as large or even larger than the South Sea Bubble (in real terms). IMO all the government and central bank shenanigans thus far have only delayed the day of reckoning. (But they have certainly succeeded in making the nominal outcome fuzzy and unpredictable, which is a bugger).

Aren't you ignoring currency effects? Iceland's 94% reported here was measured in dollars, which exaggerates the effect in local currency.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425