House Price Crash Forum

How Long Will This Forum Carry On For?

Optobear

HOLA441
Guest anorthosite
Just as the title. His view is that the crash has already happened, so why should the forum carry on?

What is the correct answer?

This forum is living the deathly half life that only a fallen empire can live, just prior to its ultimate destruction. Like Carthage in its final days, it is a shadow of its former self, its inhabitants secretly longing for it to end.

HOLA442
HOLA443
Fear not my friend we had 17 good months of fun, now that it is going back up again our party is not over, even if it goes to rampant HPI Again this forum will survive until the next inevitable crash happens.

This one peetered out at an average of 17% the next one will be bigger 2022 is the date mark it in your diary until then we dooms day predictors must prevail.

Indeed, this is where I think we are going.

The QE hasn't had any impact yet. But wait another 12 months and we'll see what happens.

We'll have a pretend boom when the prices of all things rise.

HOLA444
HOLA445

Dont know. If we get more general economics folk like Bill Still maybe it could become like that ticker forum, and discuss the general farcical state of the economy. Maybe it should be renamed. I dont know of any other (UK based) forums that attract many posters. And im not joining Money saving expert to talk about this stuff.

HOLA446
HOLA447
Dont know. If we get more general economics folk like Bill Still maybe it could become like that ticker forum, and discuss the general farcical state of the economy. Maybe it should be renamed. I dont know of any other (UK based) forums that attract many posters. And im not joining Money saving expert to talk about this stuff.

Agreed! Even doing some Googling for economic/monetary information leads back to here frequently!

HOLA448
Guest Parry aka GOD
Just as the title. His view is that the crash has already happened, so why should the forum carry on?

What is the correct answer?

The Off-Topic forum will prevail, rising like the Phoenix from the HPC ashes . . .

HOLA449
I'd say up until about a year ago this site had the X factor.

Everything was there in the economy for a HPC.

It was looking like it was going to happen. You had the attention of the media on here.

Then the rules changed.

The government started throwing everything at homeowners to make sure none of the bad scenario's you were hoping for happened.

Without the QE and other measures you probably would have got your crash.

I think you understand now that nothing will ever allow it to happen.

I think the sites lost it's legs now and most people get bored quickly and suss out it's just doom mongers posting bad news out of the papers and trying to spin it in Armageddon.

You will always have the Eric's of this world saying 'Houses will crash 90%'.

Granted if things had stayed as they was you might have seen 50% drops but now.......Not a chance.

If you sold your house now you would probably have to accept 10% less than in 2007. That's your crash. Houses did go down so you got something.

Saying that, most homeowners aren't interested in selling and are staying put until prices rise be it now, next year or 5 years time.

We've seen it all before. People selling in the low times only to watch somebody else make thousands when houses rise again.

I think the market will go up and down a few % for a year or so. Any Halifax or the like gains or drops aren't really worth crowing about. Silly really.

That's it.

As far as any crash is concerned there won't be one and the posh houses haven't dropped much if anything.

That's my take on it.

Im a bear BUT I must say this is probably the most accurate description of how it actually is and it describes what has happened in the SE of England perfectly IMO.

Its funny as im in Surrey and I have experienced EXACTLY as described.

Its now apparent that the Govt will do EVERYTHING they can to stop it from drastically crashing. It could still crash and it should as the prices of homes in my area are totally unrealistic compared to wages.

Prices should go back to that seen in 2002 for it to be affordable and acceptable.

If IR's rise then prices will drop. Nothing else will bring down prices as the Govt are shielding the market from every possible threat. This is fact.

The housing market is the back bone of the UK's wealth. Thats all they have. Rates will rise and people will struggle but all in all it is whats best for stability IMO. I wouldnt be suprised if rates rise to just below 10% in a few years time. I hope not but I wouldnt put it past them.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Prices should go back to that seen in 2002 for it to be affordable and acceptable.

If IR's rise then prices will drop. Nothing else will bring down prices as the Govt are shielding the market from every possible threat. This is fact.

I think it depends. If rates stay low and there is a restriction on the amount of credit available then there will be very long drawn out Japanese style crash, possibly last 10 years.... If rates go up, crash will accelerate again.

So I guess the forum will continue for as long as prices are not sustainable, and for as long as people think they should drop further.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
Guest pioneer31
Without the QE and other measures you probably would have got your crash.

and that's why we'll get one.....unless you think QE will go on and on. At whcih point they can stop taxing UK citizens altogether and just print what they need.

HOLA4416

It should stop now.

You have had your crash and should get used to this fact. Earlier this year was the low in terms of nominal prices.

There will be further falls in real prices in the next 2 to 5 years but this will be accompanied by higher interest rates and inflation meaning that the nominal prices won't fall below the lows reached this year.

HOLA4417
It should stop now.

You have had your crash and should get used to this fact. Earlier this year was the low in terms of nominal prices.

There will be further falls in real prices in the next 2 to 5 years but this will be accompanied by higher interest rates and inflation meaning that the nominal prices won't fall below the lows reached this year.

You are assuming that if we get inflation and higher interest rates, wages will rise to match thus maintaining our wealth I take it?

Why do you think that?

HOLA4418
It should stop now.

Hang on a minute, I haven't had mine; I was probably down the newsagents getting a pint of milk when it happened.