House Price Crash Forum

Gordon Lying Again?

OnlyMe

HOLA441

Taxman planning room-by-room inspections of family homes

http://www.conservatives.com/News/News_sto...mily_homes.aspx

Sunday, September 13 2009

Caroline Spelman

Caroline Spelman has responded to new evidence that emerged today of Gordon Brown’s secret plans for council tax hikes on family homes.

A new electronic Government tax handbook, complete with audio commentary, reveals how taxmen are being trained to conduct inspections of people’s homes and tax every home improvement and room.

Caroline Spelman MP, Shadow Secretary of State for Communities & Local Government, said that Labour Ministers have been "caught red-handed" in training a "cadre of state snoopers" for a council tax revaluation in England.

"These new electronic learning tools blow out of the water any claims that the revaluation has been postponed, and proves the more tax hikes are on the cards for after the election if Gordon Brown clings to power", she said.

Spelman added: "Families face being taxed for their sash windows and en-suite bathrooms. There is nothing that Gordon Brown won’t tax. State bureaucrats are being trained to measure up people’s homes and gardens and take intrusive photographs for a sinister Big Brother database.

These inspectors have alarming powers to enter people’s homes - and there is clear evidence that they now intend to exercise them. A Conservative Government will protect hard-working families from this home invasion; we will cancel the revaluation and abolish council tax inspectors’ right of entry."

Edited by OnlyMe

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
It was just 19 years ago when people were rioting in the streets of London to avoid paying this tax, now look where we are.... Apathy??

Don't think you'll see too much apathy if council jobsworths with clipboards start demanding to snoop round our houses.

"But we are the people of England; and we have not spoken yet."

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Aren't the Valuation Office Agency just doing what they are supposed to do i.e. value the price of houses. :lol:

The whole thing is a lot of Mail/Telegraph/Tory nonsense - it was the Tories that introduced council tax linked to property values after all.

Its crazy that we have valuations for council tax purposes based on 1991 relative prices - time they were adjusted for 2009 relative prices.

HOLA4410

So they call round to inspect? what if you don't let them in?

"Mr Fletcher, don't make us put the door in."

"You're not coming in!"

"Miss Jones, get The Enforcer ready, well what are you hiding in there, Mr Fletcher, come on we've got information from a snout at Wickes that you've got an Armitage Shanks suite and Aqualisa enclosed shower unit, don't deny it, you slag..."

"I've got nuffink, its the original bathroom suite from 1975, it's a horrible pink for chris' sakes..."

"Shut it, come on Miss Jones, put the door in, I've heard enough..."

HOLA4411
It was just 19 years ago when people were rioting in the streets of London to avoid paying this tax, now look where we are.... Apathy??

Nobody mentioned poll tax did they?

Can't see why they would do this to increase council tax any way. What's to stop them reducing the block grant and leaving the council to levy the increase across the existing bands. In theory revaluation has nothing to do with council tax increases anyway just the distribution of houses into bands (I did say in theory though...)

HOLA4412

Window Tax

During the reign of William III and Mary II, inflation increased because of various conflicts in Ireland and mainland Europe in the 1690s.

Previous financial crises had prompted a 'hearth tax' under which people were charged in relation to the number of fireplaces in their house, but in 1696 a new property tax - the window tax - was introduced. This was less intrusive than the hearth tax because the windows could be counted from the outside.

However, people saw it as a tax on fresh air, light and health.

Initially the tax was at a flat rate of 2 shillings, or 8 shillings on houses with more than ten windows.

People dodged payment by bricking in windows, camouflaging them or even building dummy windows so that inspectors were confused. Some people blocked in windows and then unblocked them as soon as the tax man had gone.

Over the years people became so clever at avoiding the tax that revenue fell and the law was tightened in 1747.

The window tax continued until 1851.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/northyorkshire/iloven...gallery25.shtml

minstergates_fakewindow2.jpg

To the untrained eye these might seem like three normal Georgian sash windows: the top one blocked like so many, because of Window Tax in the 17th century. But if you look more closely, you'll notice that not only is the top window blocked but so is the middle one - a 'dummy window,' perhaps to confuse the tax man?

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

British Jobs for British People.

http://www.contractoruk.com/news/004532.html

Migrant IT worker rules 'still not tough enough'

The state’s tightening of immigration rules to stop skilled workers from outside the European Union taking jobs in Britain does not go far enough, an IT staffing body is warning.

Despite ministers claiming the reform means UK job-seekers will no longer be bypassed, APSCo says the changes may actually cause the number of non-EU IT workers coming to Britain to increase.

The group said this is because the state wants graduates working at UK firms’ overseas offices to be eligible for transfer to Britain without the employer having to advertise the UK role which they will fill.

This comes despite a recent amendment to Tier 2 of the points-based immigration system which means such intra company transfer workers will not be able to “directly replace a UK worker”.

Edited by OnlyMe

HOLA4416

Tory cuts,

After Moron had control of the tiller.

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/cn_news_ca...e.asp?id=448910

Worst council cash crisis since the war

rachel.extance@cambridge-news.co.uk

A "CRISIS" in public funding will create a £113 million black hole in Cambridgeshire County Council's finances.

Staff have been told jobs cannot be guaranteed while voters will be asked what they want council cash to be spent on in years to come.

Bosses at the council say it is the worst cash crisis "since the Second World War" and tough choices about services will have to be made.

The crisis stems from the huge amount of public debt incurred by the Government when it bailed out the banks.

Finance chiefs at the council are predicting it will be £113 million worse off in five years' time - that's a cut in spending power of 35 per cent.

And with people living longer and the county's population growing, councillors say they are going to have to "completely rethink" the way services are delivered.

HOLA4417

I suspect that is was because there are two distinct groups involved.

In my experience, most of the poll tax non-payers were part of the labour voting client group who were not used to having to part with any of their hard claimed benefits in order to make a contribution to the common good.

The second group (those who are used to paying rates, income tax etc) just grumbled & then paid up.

Any increase in council tax will only affect the second group - who will grumble & pay up again.

HOLA4418

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window_tax

The richest families in the kingdoms used this tax to set themselves apart from the merely rich. They would commission a country home or a manor house whose architecture would make the maximum possible use of windows. In extreme cases they would have windows built over structural walls. It was an exercise in ostentation, spurred by the window tax.

Reminds me of the contempt people held for such taxes in the 17th Century. Last gasps of a desparate government who can think of nothing better to do than find new ways to enslave the masses.

HOLA4419
How long would I get in prison should I attack these room improvement taxmen with a baseball bat in the hallway? Would I receive a rebate if their blood is spattered everywhere and spoiling my carpet and walls?

The length of your sentence will be directly proportional to the size of the hallway in which you perform said act. If you have enough room to get in the full George Herman Ruth swing prior to connection with skull, your house is clearly far too big and will be divided up between needy chavs while you enjoy a lengthy sentence.

Rebates will be available for the spilling of brains or bone marrow, but not blood.

HOLA4420
The length of your sentence will be directly proportional to the size of the hallway in which you perform said act. If you have enough room to get in the full George Herman Ruth swing prior to connection with skull, your house is clearly far too big and will be divided up between needy chavs while you enjoy a lengthy sentence.

Rebates will be available for the spilling of brains or bone marrow, but not blood.

Thanks for that, I shall beat them with increased savagery in order to draw out bone marrow from broken bones.

HOLA4421
I suspect that is was because there are two distinct groups involved.

In my experience, most of the poll tax non-payers were part of the labour voting client group who were not used to having to part with any of their hard claimed benefits in order to make a contribution to the common good.

The second group (those who are used to paying rates, income tax etc) just grumbled & then paid up.

Any increase in council tax will only affect the second group - who will grumble & pay up again.

Never looked from that angle .. Very nicely put, seems to make pefect sense to me

HOLA4422

Remember the f'wits who come on here saying "Nothing to hide - Nothing to fear".

Sorry my hearing aid is playing up again. What that you just said. "You wont let them in".

Too Late. Your living in a Police State and they have the right, obstruct them and you will be arrested for obstruction, plus you cant smoke in your own home while they are there.

HOLA4423
Aren't the Valuation Office Agency just doing what they are supposed to do i.e. value the price of houses. :lol:

The whole thing is a lot of Mail/Telegraph/Tory nonsense - it was the Tories that introduced council tax linked to property values after all.

Its crazy that we have valuations for council tax purposes based on 1991 relative prices - time they were adjusted for 2009 relative prices.

I think we have a volunteer to be the first to invite the snoopers in. Good show old boy.

HOLA4424
Nobody mentioned poll tax did they?

Can't see why they would do this to increase council tax any way. What's to stop them reducing the block grant and leaving the council to levy the increase across the existing bands. In theory revaluation has nothing to do with council tax increases anyway just the distribution of houses into bands (I did say in theory though...)

Seems we have another volunteer. If the plebs keep up like this, they might get to me last. Dont stop, keep volunteering. :lol::lol::lol:

HOLA4425

Particularly nasty little tax trap. Not designed to make the roads safer, but designed to catch out the unwary. If you want to make the roads safer throw the book at those that cause accidents through recklessness (especially the uninsured).

What were all those ANPR cameras for then? Another waste of money?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/6...ment-curbs.html

Owners of uninsured cars face new fines under new Government curbs

Motorists who leave their cars uninsured face fines of up to £1,000 even if they are locked away in a garage or kept on a driveway without being driven.

By David Millward, Transport Editor

Published: 10:00PM BST 15 Sep 2009

Taxed but uninsured cars left on a public road would be clamped or seized under the new laws which are being unveiled by the Government.

The draconian new powers are intended to tackle an estimated two million uninsured motorists who, the Government says, are responsible for 160 deaths a year.

But the changes have angered civil liberty campaigners and also alarmed motoring groups who fear that law-abiding motorists could be penalised for innocent mistakes, such as allowing their insurance to lapse while they are on holiday.

At the moment, a motorist is only committing a crime if he or she drives while uninsured.

The new law will make it an offence to be the registered keeper of an uninsured car, whether or not the vehicle is being used and regardless of whether it has a valid tax disc or is kept on private property.

The only way to avoid a fine will be to go through the bureaucratic process of making a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency.