House Price Crash Forum

Can Someone Turn Off The Good News !

HOLA441
You have an endowment?!!!!!! :blink:

Oh dear! I was prepared to give you the benefit of the doubt, but by admitting to that you have just proven that you are a financial muppet of the highest order, willing to believe any old cr*p you are told, providing the advice comes from the mouth of an "expert".

Have you not heard the term "front-end loading" and the effect it can have on the final value of any "investments" you make?

Er.... read it again S-L-O-W-L-Y - I have 3 endowments which are U-N-I-T L-I-N-K-E-D !!! - do you U-N-D-E-R-S-T-A-N-D ......

That means with the FTSE flying they are making gains that no other investments outside a known Peruvian gold strike could make - as for mouth of an expert, I arranged them myself, I have yet to meet an IFA that is more knowledgable on finance than me (modest with it)

I paid off my mortgage and kept them - now if anyone has any U-N-I-T L-I-N-K-E-D policies they would like to offload at a small discount - I'm your man

Jeeze you just can't help some people

So Phaedrus - your current investment strategy is ?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Yet more good news to prevent the BoE reducing interest rates, then...

You really don't get it, do you? If you want an interest rate cut, you need to be praying for _BAD_ news.

Honestly ? Really ? Damn it

Thanks for the lesson in amatuer finance but I meant everything coming up roses FOR ME - the high street combined with manufacturing still on its ar$e guarantees a rate cut next month (small chance month after) but it will be 4.25% by year end.

Got it ?

HOLA443
Er.... read it again S-L-O-W-L-Y - I have 3 endowments which are U-N-I-T  L-I-N-K-E-D !!! - do you U-N-D-E-R-S-T-A-N-D ......

That means with the FTSE flying they are making gains that no other investments outside a known Peruvian gold strike could make - as for mouth of an expert, I arranged them myself, I have yet to meet an IFA that is more knowledgable on finance than me (modest with it)

I paid off my mortgage and kept them - now if anyone has any U-N-I-T L-I-N-K-E-D policies they would like to offload at a small discount - I'm your man

Jeeze you just can't help some people

So Phaedrus - your current investment strategy is ?

Tell me about front-end loading in relation to investment performance.

My current investment strategy is as follows:

1. A very generous final salary pension scheme, and buying added years.

2. Overpaying on my mortgage. (>100% monthly payment/month)

3. Saving 10-20% net salary/month in cash.

4. Using full ISA allowance to put monthly sum into UNIT LINKED funds within an ISA wrapper.

HOLA444
Tell me about front-end loading in relation to investment performance.

My current investment strategy is as follows:

1. A very generous final salary pension scheme, and buying added years.

2. Overpaying on my mortgage. (>100% monthly payment/month)

3. Saving 10-20% net salary/month in cash.

4. Using full ISA allowance to put monthly sum into UNIT LINKED funds within an ISA wrapper.

Whats with the fascination with front end loading ? Its dwarfed by the gains HOWEVER nearly all the fees were refunded straight back to me as I work for a fund managers !

I too have TWO final salary schemes (1 obviously frozen) and a money purchase with a fat sum in it

Well done on the ISA again I save the full 7 grand a year and have ALL fees returned to me - however I had the foresight to put a lumpsum in in April whereas you are missing tons of gains bt drip feeding

Mortgage - like I said haven;t got one now - paid it off in 13 years

You're saving ? where ?

Oh and I told the DM's on Thisismoney last year to slap all they could into japan and emerging markets - of course they won't have listened - I could buy your average house now with the return from those two areas alone - but will leave it as emerging's have a long long way to go (Don't say I don't help you)

So anything else I can help with ?

HOLA445
Whats with the fascination with front end loading ? Its dwarfed by the gains HOWEVER nearly all the fees were refunded straight back to me as I work for a fund managers !

I too have TWO final salary schemes (1 obviously frozen) and a money purchase with a fat sum in it

Well done on the ISA again I save the full 7 grand a year and have ALL fees returned to me - however I had the foresight to put a lumpsum in in April whereas you are missing tons of gains bt drip feeding

Mortgage - like I said haven;t got one now - paid it off in 13 years

You're saving ? where ?

Oh and I told the DM's on Thisismoney last year to slap all they could into japan and emerging markets - of course they won't have listened - I could buy your average house now with the return from those two areas alone - but will leave it as emerging's have a long long way to go (Don't say I don't help you)

So anything else I can help with ?

Put simply, front-end loading means the majority of charges are levied in the first few years of investment. Due to the effects of compound interest these are the years that really count in terms of performance, so heavy charges in the early years can have a significant effect on long-term performance of the fund. Obviously, you are a special case, being as you do not pay charges, something you failed to mention when you originally posted. For the average punter who does have to pay fees then an endowment is not really that good an investment.

BTW I always do my own research, so thanks for the investment tip, but I'll make my own decisions, thanks.

(The savings are in my offset mortgage account, together with the money I save to pay the tax man twice a year)

HOLA446
HOLA447
and now the darn FTSE is off and racing AGAIN !! Where will it all end

Actually please don't answer that - the plethora of hopeful graphs could crash my system !

Here you go folowing my post up there, just found this - see if you want to invest wisely just ask - if you want to be one of life's alsorans ask a doom-mongerer/marina/morientes etc etc

The Nikkei 225 stock average in Japan may rise as much as 11 percent to 13,000 by year-end as the dollar strengthens and global economic growth withstands higher oil prices, according to Hajime Kitano at Mitsubishi Securities.

Exporters, in particular electronics companies, are the best investments amid signs excessive inventories are being reduced, Kitano said in an interview Monday. He is the top-ranked chief strategist for Japanese stocks this year in a survey by the newspaper Nihon Keizai.

HOLA448
Here you go folowing my post up there, just found this - see if you want to invest wisely just ask -  if you want to be one of life's alsorans ask a doom-mongerer/marina/morientes etc etc

The Nikkei 225 stock average in Japan may rise as much as 11 percent to 13,000 by year-end as the dollar strengthens and global economic growth withstands higher oil prices, according to Hajime Kitano at Mitsubishi Securities.

Exporters, in particular electronics companies, are the best investments amid signs excessive inventories are being reduced, Kitano said in an interview Monday. He is the top-ranked chief strategist for Japanese stocks this year in a survey by the newspaper Nihon Keizai.

Perplexed,

You write as though you are some kind of mega rich investment guru. However, browsing through some of your messages I notice that:

1) you work for a living,

2) it took you 13 years to pay off your mortage

3) you live in a 5 bedroom house (comfortable I'm sure but not exactly palatial)

4) you drive an M3 (early 21st century ford capri).

You may be wealthy compared with some of the first time buyers posting on this site but none of this suggests you are rich. More like mass affluent.

Did you follow your own advise and invest in Japanese equities last year? It hasnt been a scorcher over the past twelve months. What was top ranked strategist Kitano saying back in 1990?

HOLA449
Perplexed,

You write as though you are some kind of mega rich investment guru. However, browsing through some of your messages I notice that:

1) you work for a living,

2) it took you 13 years to pay off your mortage

3) you live in a 5 bedroom house (comfortable I'm sure but not exactly palatial)

4) you drive an M3 (early 21st century ford capri).

You may be wealthy compared with some of the first time buyers posting on this site but none of this suggests you are rich. More like mass affluent.

Did you follow your own advise and invest in Japanese equities last year? It hasnt been a scorcher over the past twelve months. What was top ranked strategist Kitano saying back in 1990?

Sorry only got as far as your knowledge of cars (M3 = Capri ??) and files you under 'M' for muppet

on and whilst I don't live in St Johns Wood , a 5 bedder down there would set you back ooh 4/5 mil ? so your generalisations make you look even dafter !

Mortgage - well I kept it until the tax breaks went then paid it off

There you go all cleared up - now about your car knowledge ....................oh dear

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Sorry only got as far as your knowledge of cars (M3 = Capri ??) and files you under 'M' for muppet

on and whilst I don't live in St Johns Wood , a 5 bedder down there would set you back ooh 4/5 mil ? so your generalisations make you look even dafter !

Mortgage - well I kept it until the tax breaks went then paid it off

There you go all cleared up - now about your car knowledge ....................oh dear

Rubbish, you can get five bed houses in St Johns Wood for well under 2m. Where do you live? What is your "mortgage free" house worth?

You still havent answered my question about why you still work if you are such a successful investment guru. What asset management firm do you work for? I bet they dont let you manage money!

As for the M3, I stick with my comments. Its a chav car. The BMW 3 series outsells the Ford Mondeo in the UK.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Rubbish, you can get five bed houses in St Johns Wood for well under 2m. Where do you live? What is your "mortgage free" house worth?

You still havent answered my question about why you still work if you are such a successful investment guru. What asset management firm do you work for? I bet they dont let you manage money!

As for the M3, I stick with my comments. Its a chav car. The BMW 3 series outsells the Ford Mondeo in the UK.

You may find an apartment for 2mil and the odd house on the outskirts but anything IN St Johns Wood half decent will be twice that - but its never likely to be an issue for the Doom Mongerers - their destiny is to bleat from afar.

M3 a chav car ? Its won more awards than ANY other in its price range and continues to do so - you are referring to the standard 3 series from £16,000 - the M3 (loaded like mine) is £53,710.41. Your ignorance is tragic but typical of the jealous brigade who want everything dumped in their lap for minimal effort.

Oh yes I work because its easy and beats watching Neighbours - I do work for a City funds management company who will remain nameless however one manager last year picked up a £20.1M bonus and he'll be at work at 06:30 tomorrow morning. Its what ambitious (non moaning) people do

Try to drive yourself through the envy - you'll be a happier person the other side

HOLA4414
Er.... read it again S-L-O-W-L-Y - I have 3 endowments which are U-N-I-T   L-I-N-K-E-D !!! - do you U-N-D-E-R-S-T-A-N-D ......

errrrr.......no

unit linked means it is bought and sold as ......errr.....units - unfortunately they could be units of absolutely anything dependent upon what funds they include - they will only fly with the ftse if they include a significant ftse element - most average risk unit funds are made up of a combination of equities from various parts of the world and property - you can also add commodities and other wonderful things dependent upon your risk strategy

Edited by the end is nigh

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
I'm glad things are going well for you Perplexed.

Unfortunately i still can't afford to buy a house, any house, although my salary is well above average for the area i live in.

Any suggestions?

Move to another area !

Sometimes in life you have to go through A to get to B - make a plan to make it happen instead of waiting for divine inspiration to drop it in your lap. Thats the strategy of a Doom Merchant

HOLA4417
Move to another area !

Sometimes in life you have to go through A to get to B - make a plan to make it happen instead of waiting for divine inspiration to drop it in your lap. Thats the strategy of a Doom Merchant

Yes Withnail it's actually your own fault that you can't afford a house due to your lack of ambition.

B)

HOLA4418
You may find an apartment for 2mil and the odd house on the outskirts but anything IN St Johns Wood half decent will be twice that - but its never likely to be an issue for the Doom Mongerers - their destiny is to bleat from afar.

M3 a chav car ? Its won more awards than ANY other in its price range and continues to do so - you are referring to the standard 3 series from £16,000 - the M3 (loaded like mine) is £53,710.41. Your ignorance is tragic but typical of the jealous brigade who want everything dumped in their lap for minimal effort.

Oh yes I work because its easy and beats watching Neighbours - I do work for a City funds management company who will remain nameless however one manager last year picked up a £20.1M bonus and he'll be at work at 06:30 tomorrow morning. Its what ambitious (non moaning) people do

Try to drive yourself through the envy - you'll be a happier person the other side

Some M3's are indeed fantastic. Unfortunately the E34 is the fantastic one. The following models are indeed chav-mobiles, regardless of their cost. A friend has one of the latest, fully loaded, etc. It's a great car but sadly far too common and carries a terrible image with it nowadays.

HOLA4419

Come on then bright boy - name some of the 95% of analysts who predict a rate cut.

Can u even name, cite, link or quote 10 of them?

Theres a challange for ya.

Prove you're not the webmaster trolling for hits.

Name 10.

Surely an Uber-genius like you shouldnt have too much trouble proving your point.

HOLA4420
Move to another area !

Sometimes in life you have to go through A to get to B

Perplexed,

Look, you just happen to have had a bit of luck to have bought at the right time. I don't believe for one moment you have done sod all to arrive where you are. You just happen to have been lucky. No different from the lottery really. Well, congratulations. I'm sure no-one here really resents your good fortune, but they might be getting pretty annoyed with your repeated "look at me" posts.

Please don't post multiple threads here claiming that you are some shrewd investor/entrepreneur/guru. The more you do it, the more folks here just see you as a smug git. I don't know if you've noticed this, but most people who've made a mint through pure luck are a bit more modest, count their blessings and get on with life quietly and without fuss.

You seem to indicate a worrying insecurity in your compulsion to repeatedly tell everyone how marvellous you are, but worse still, tell everyone else how they can all do the same if they were as ambitious/thrusting/clever as you.

The truth is (and it is quite clear from your posts) that you are a person of very little depth of thought and entirely lacking in any other ambition apart from looking at your paid off mortgage deeds. It may have passed you by that life has infinite and rich rewards outside your life of obsessive materialism.

I recommend a little Mozart, or perhaps a good novel to divert you away from your illusion that life is solely about paying off the mortgage.

Do give it a try. It would make you a much nicer person.

Thanks very much.

VP

Edited by VacantPossession

HOLA4421
Perplexed,

Look, you just happen to have had a bit of luck to have bought at the right time. I don't believe for one moment you have done sod all to arrive where you are. You just happen to have been lucky. No different from the lottery really. Well, congratulations. I'm sure no-one here really resents your good fortune, but they might be getting pretty annoyed with your repeated "look at me" posts.

Please don't post multiple threads here claiming that you are some shrewd investor/entrepreneur/guru. The more you do it, the more folks here just see you as a smug git. I don't know if you've noticed this, but most people who've made a mint through pure luck are a bit more modest, count their blessings and get on with life quietly and without fuss.

You seem to indicate a worrying insecurity in your compulsion to repeatedly tell everyone how marvellous you are, but worse still, tell everyone else how they can all do the same if they were as ambitious/thrusting/clever as you.

The truth is (and it is quite clear from your posts) that you are a person of very little depth of thought and entirely lacking in any other ambition apart from looking at your paid off mortgage deeds. It may have passed you by that life has infinite and rich rewards outside your life of obsessive materialism.

I recommend a little Mozart, or perhaps a good novel to divert you away from your illusion that life is solely about paying off the mortgage.

Do give it a try. It would make you a much nicer person.

Thanks very much.

VP

Top post I couldn't agree more - when I tire of looking at the deeds I tour my house looking at my Mackenzie Thorpe/Rolf Harris/Govinder and now stunningly my Robert Lenkiewicz original paintings. I was fortunate to acquire some after being tipped off about him following his recent death - one of his recently sold at Sotherbys with a reserce of 6-8,000..............went for £57,000 !!! Didn't I do well ?

And if I tire of that its off to Sri Lanka for some diving - you should try that FAR more relaxing than listening to Mozart in a rented flat and with no mortgage you can stay in the top places !

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
I wonder how tall Perplexed is.

lol - not tall enough to reach the keyboard and answer a simple question.

Who are the "95%" of analysts who believe in a rate drop perplexed?

Name a few, show us some links, reports, something, anything!

We all believe you (snigger, snigger) but you gotta back it up for the record.

PS - reports from the Bank of The North Circular Road, or quotes from "www.perlexed-cant-answer-his-critics.com" dont count.

Tighten those braces city-boy.