House Price Crash Forum

Nasty "boycott Britain" Campaign Kicks Of In The Usa

HOLA441
The ones I've mentioned this to have been ignorant of the IRA fund-raising that used to go on there. It does tend to take the wind out of their "righteous war on terror" sails, though -- assuming they're open-minded enough to even accept the possibility ;)

The IRA is a drop in the ocean of the US's sponsorship of global terrorism.

Closer to this thread: one conspiracy theory about the Lockerbie plot is that it was Iran's revenge for a civilian airliner shot down by the 'merkins.

So where is the outrage about the terrorist act of shooting down an Iranian airliner? Who has been brought to trial for that?

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
It's gonna be LOL if McGrahey doesn't have the decency to drop dead quite soon and the cancer isn't quite as bad as everyone thought...

If the Doctor's who diagnosed him are the same ones as those who assess people on incapacity benefits for their fitness to work, then I think we can look forward to seeing McGrahey running the Tripoli marathon.

HOLA447
C'mon, the Irish abroad raised money for the Irish Republican Movement. Hardly a shock. They still haven't forgotten the oppression, starvation and poverty that drove their people over to Americay.

It's hardly a shock that Palestinians and others in the Middle East would turn to (ahem) direct action either ... Fund raising here, a training camp there ... what's the difference?

HOLA448
Guest anorthosite
It's hardly a shock that Palestinians and others in the Middle East would turn to (ahem) direct action either ... Fund raising here, a training camp there ... what's the difference?

The Merkins have better PR.

HOLA449
The IRA is a drop in the ocean of the US's sponsorship of global terrorism.

Well, yes. For the FBI director to accuse the Scottish Justice secretary of making "a mockery of the rule of law" kind of takes the biscuit (which will presumably not be of the Scottish Shortbread variety :P )

Like it or not, the rule of law is what we've seen in action; attempts by outsiders to influence it are where the mockery comes from. I just wish the appeal had gone ahead; I would love to see the egg all over these whining self-righteous faces.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Very true - I was just pointing out that the Americans were less likely to see Irish Republicans as 'terrorists' because of historical ties with the fenians.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

But the US has released terrorists too. One can't draw an exact parallel between the Al Megrahi case and Guantanamo Bay situations for several reasons. Megrahi was convicted in court whereas most of the Guantanamo cases are sort of POWs who have not been charged or tried. Also Libya's regime was left-wing extremist rather than radical islamist.

But some prisoners have been released from Guantanamo Bay who have subsequently returned to Al Qaeda and anti-western activities.

And it must be remembered that a lot of Americans supported IRA terrorism, as they had some sort of romantic notion about Irish roots, which turned out on further investigation to be protestant, or 'Scots-Irish' in many cases, including Bill Clinton, I believe!

Edited by blankster

HOLA4414
Very true - I was just pointing out that the Americans were less likely to see Irish Republicans as 'terrorists' because of historical ties with the fenians.

I agree with that. But one of the things that grown-ups are supposed to be able to do, is to see beyond their own prejudices and preconceptions. It's not an intellectually sustainable position to pick one set of bombers and call them freedom fighters, and another set and call them terrorists, and insist that your definitions should be accepted by everybody (which is what the WoT "with-us-or-against-us" doctrine calls for).

I'm fine with a more nuanced view of freedom-fighter/terrorism, but the same nuanced consideration should apply to all.

HOLA4415

It is simply the spiteful and vindictive nature of some peoples psyches. The engineer sees a system and attempts to arrange things in an optimal way. The capitalist is simply someone that sees optimal as his own advantage. However there is another type of mind that sees the world in terms of lists of wrongs done to them. Each person is such a list and other aspects of reality do not exist to them. They feel wronged by the bombers and seek petty revenge to even the score. Since Scotland released this bomber, they see a wrong to add to their list and seek revenge upon Scotland. The fact that the Scots could not get him back now, even if they wanted, has no bearing, the score must be equalled. Thus they begin their campaign. It is a nasty mindset that leads to perpetual blood feud. Argument on the grounds of compassion, arguments about best for all, arguments about best for them will be rejected. The lists must be balanced.

HOLA4416
Guest Skinty
But some prisoners have been released from Guantanamo Bay who have subsequently returned to Al Qaeda and anti-western activities.

Would they have joined Al Qaeda and partook in anti-western activities if they had not been put in Guantanamo Bay in the first place?

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
Guest Skinty
'merkins

I like that word! Mind if I start using it as well?

We should have a thread on phrases that we want to establish in common usage. For example, one I saw yesterday about Schrodingers fat cats. Both multimillionaires and penniless at the same time. Fantastic!

Hehehe 'merkins.

HOLA4419
It is simply the spiteful and vindictive nature of some peoples psyches. The engineer sees a system and attempts to arrange things in an optimal way. The capitalist is simply someone that sees optimal as his own advantage. However there is another type of mind that sees the world in terms of lists of wrongs done to them. Each person is such a list and other aspects of reality do not exist to them. They feel wronged by the bombers and seek petty revenge to even the score. Since Scotland released this bomber, they see a wrong to add to their list and seek revenge upon Scotland. The fact that the Scots could not get him back now, even if they wanted, has no bearing, the score must be equalled. Thus they begin their campaign. It is a nasty mindset that leads to perpetual blood feud. Argument on the grounds of compassion, arguments about best for all, arguments about best for them will be rejected. The lists must be balanced.

Excellent insight IMO.

HOLA4420
Would they have joined Al Qaeda and partook in anti-western activities if they had not been put in Guantanamo Bay in the first place?
Most of the inmates of Guantanamo Bay were caught red-handed in Al Qaeda training camps in Afghanistan, which equals 'guilty' in my book.
Well, they're calling for a general boycott of British goods.
Duchy biscuits? I've always boycotted those myself, as a British Republican I have never knowingly eaten a Duchy product.

A lot of Americans will have to boycott electricity, since our National Grid PLC owns much of the power grid in the North East of the USA. Also our FirstGroup owns Greyhound Buses in US and I just learned that First are starting a new network of Greyhound express services here - but with European coaches, so no gleaming corrugated stainless steel or snarling Detroit 2-strokes!

Edited by blankster

HOLA4421
I agree with that. But one of the things that grown-ups are supposed to be able to do, is to see beyond their own prejudices and preconceptions. It's not an intellectually sustainable position to pick one set of bombers and call them freedom fighters, and another set and call them terrorists, and insist that your definitions should be accepted by everybody (which is what the WoT "with-us-or-against-us" doctrine calls for).

I'm fine with a more nuanced view of freedom-fighter/terrorism, but the same nuanced consideration should apply to all.

I wish!

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

just on a general objective kick i'm finding this quite funny. So a deal has clearly been done but TPTB think they can get away with it by trying to focus the peoples anger on the Libyans with the "hero's welcome"(sic) propaganda. But fully screwed up by son of Gadafi just coming out and saying a deal was done. I expect TPTB didn't think that was going to happen but if the Libyans are in such a strong position that they can demand his release then surely they can do what they like.

Yanks proved themselves a fickle bunch again though, soon forgetting our following them into 2 illegal and immoral wars. But not being 2 ft up Americas **** probably won't matter soon enough anyway, if anything it might make it less likely we'll feel the need to hold their hand as they inevitably go down the pan.

HOLA4425
I like that word! Mind if I start using it as well?

We should have a thread on phrases that we want to establish in common usage. For example, one I saw yesterday about Schrodingers fat cats. Both multimillionaires and penniless at the same time. Fantastic!

Hehehe 'merkins.

Not seen 'merkins before? I thought it was in (fairly) common usage.

As for Schrödinger, I agree about the fat cats, but maybe we also need Schrödinger's paupers? People on benefits with a lot more than those who work hard for low to middle incomes?