House Price Crash Forum

50,000 A-level Students To Miss Out On Place At University

HOLA441
Guest absolutezero
Sad to note OCR exam board no longer offering "Three Sciences" for GCSE. Only a matter of time before these are replaced by a Generic "Scienceology" A Level.

They do offer 3 sciences at GCSE.

Where did you get that from?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
My university, Brunel, used to be known for science and engineering, but has seen many of its engineering and science degrees halted. It is now primarily a social science and sport science university.

What the hell is 'sport science'?

..... You throw a ball - it goes up and then some time later it comes down again

HOLA443

..... You throw a ball - it goes up and then some time later it comes down again

Well I'm not an expert, but sport science contains a lot of biology, its fairly narrowly focused though. Useless if you're not going to be a sports coach\trainer.

HOLA444
Well I'm not an expert, but sport science contains a lot of biology, its fairly narrowly focused though. Useless if you're not going to be a sports coach\trainer.

Wow! And we have a whole university dedicated to THAT? We must be the envy of Europe!

HOLA445
Wow! And we have a whole university dedicated to THAT? We must be the envy of Europe!

The universities must be loving the extra income though. :P Education on the continent is fairly cheap at the point of use (assuming you're 18 and haven't paid much in the way of taxes).

HOLA446

An engineer would be able to calculate its flight path.

A sports science graduate would catch it.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
To be honest the A level system for engineers is cack. BTEC is the route I wish I had gone down as I would have a better grasp of the practicalities of engineering before I arrived at uni. (Witness the perfectly designed (to a 3 safety factor) axle I created in my second year which my course leader looked at and said "The maths are perfect; but does it look right?" Which it did not; and also it was before I fully nderstood momentum of inertia properly but I digress).

I wish I did mechanics... I could do a BEng in 3 years if I skip the first year (as I've done it already!). I'd do it if I came into some money!

HOLA4411
I think in that case that maye we are. A number of sports teams across Europe seem to have British 'physios.'

Im sure that as we have a whole university churning them out there is going to be a large world population of 'sport scientists' (or whatever they call themselves) swamping the market.

HOLA4412
1 Our time will come have patience, bit like HPC we can call it Bullsh1t qualifications crash

2 Sh1t the bed, tell me its a lie,how will this country manage, I still have hope but its going to be a long tough road

Hopefully our time WILL come - I wonder how many people have left the profession meanwhile, though.

Travelled a bit for work in the last two years - over in Europe I was hailed with the respect a doctor gets here from women in Switzerland, Germany, Spain.. obviously it's a different story here, but I was quite taken aback by how impressed the odd person I spoke to overseas was with the qualification!

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Anyone know how to do an a-level from home and just sit the exam?
Your best bet, like for me, is probably to sign up for an A level through your local adult community college/nightschool. You might need to attend one or two of the classes, if only to find out when and where the exam is, but they're not exactly going to send you to the headmaster for bunking off classes.....

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Pick up or look at the 10 nearest items to you at this moment in time and ascertain their origins.

Keyboard and Mouse - China

Fleece throw - China

Ixos cable - China

Timberland shorts - Turkey

Philips phone - China

Daewoo TV - Korea

Specialized mountain bike frame - Taiwan

Mission speakers - Malaysia

NAD amp - China

Motorola phone - unidentified, though battery claims China

Why on earth did I study engineering? I should have just got a trade.

HOLA4419
Pick up or look at the 10 nearest items to you at this moment in time and ascertain their origins.

Fleece throw - China

Ixos cable - China

Philips phone - China

Daewoo TV - Korea

NAD amp - China

The 2012 Olympics seems to be quite the lucrative project for engineers...

HOLA4420

As I think I mentioned earlier.... two of my friends went and got trades. One is a printer - gets £35k basic without overtime and works 7.5 hours a day. Other is a mechanice at a brewery on same money as me. I'm 2 years out of uni after a (5 year) Masters in electronics & electrical engineering.. bought a car outright, fair enough, but £15k student debt looming, still living at home, and probably worse off than my friends who've now got some savings!

It's not all bad.. but for the money and opportunities - up in Edinburgh, anyway - you'd be better off doing something simpler. Sounds like you're quite disillusioned - what are your future plans? Wish I knew what mine were.

EDIT - the things I've learnt have been amazing... but sometimes I wonder if I'd have been better of getting that job with Standard Life at 18 than going to uni.. noooo! ;)

Edited by thomasross20

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Fleece throw - China

Ixos cable - China

Philips phone - China

Daewoo TV - Korea

NAD amp - China

I work for a company that has its products inside over 50% of all mobile phones. Its British..

I agree that engineering is disappearing off the radar in Britain, but what remains is still world class..

HOLA4423

Hail to the UK Housing Ponzi Scheme, Hail to the UK University Ponzi Scheme, Hail to our dear leaders Bliar and Brown who created these pyramid scams. The UK is infinately better off now after the creation of these two scams. Well done for conning the sheep and loading up youngers with unmanageable debt! The UK - Island of the Ponzi Schemes!

HOLA4424
I wish I never went. Just ended up missing the housing boat. Because whilst I was there you ***** were busy selling your houses to one another at ever increasing amounts thus rendering my 'security' and 'aspiration' I was studying for mute.

I feel exactly the same.

After being told all my young life "study hard, get a good education" and "getting qualifications will mean you can get a good job and have nice cars and a nice house" etc etc I did exactly that - worked hard and got a good degree in Aerospace Engineering. Seems the generation above who were peddling me this ******** were all busy pushing up the price of housing for me when I emerged.

I now have a decent enough job on well above average pay but I cant afford the same standard of housing as the thick shits in my class at secondary school who left at 16 and became binmen etc and bought a house before 2000. At least not without taking on the kind of crazy debt no generation previous would ever have had to contemplate.

And I've got £20k of student debt for my troubles.

Great.

Edited by I Crap In The Woods

HOLA4425

A levels are the perennial weed that spring up every August to fill the pages of the media who have b*gger all else to write about during the silly season.

For once I am coming to agree with those trendy educationalists who wanted to abolish the grading structure (something which is de facto coming to pass anyway as no one seems to fail exams any more).

As for University I would imagine that now days it must be a bit of a struggle to achieve what used to be known as the 'Gentleman's Degree' since it is nigh impossible to get lower than a 2:2.

Edited by up2nogood