House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

50,000 A-level Students To Miss Out On Place At University

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2009/a...sity-admissions

The government stands accused today of abandoning its commitment to get more school-leavers into university, triggering an unprecedented scramble for degree places when students discover their A-level results this morning.

University applicants face the most intense competition ever after ministers capped student numbers in England to cut costs despite a 10% increase in applications, fuelled in part by the recession. It leaves a potential shortfall of 60,000 places.

Universities are warning that more courses than ever will be full by the end of today and the head of the university admissions system said the clearing system for allocating leftover places will be over within the week. Usually it takes up to a month.

The number of A-levels awarded at grade A is also expected to go up for the 27th year running to about 26%, intensifying the competition in the system.

Sally Hunt, the head of the lecturers' union UCU, accused Labour of abandoning its policy to expand universities. "The government's widening participation agenda was one that should have been celebrated and allowed to flourish. Sadly, the government's failure to stand up for education and to properly fund the policy has led to its apparent demise," she said.

"The decision to cap the numbers of student places at university this year, and most likely permanently cap the ambition of thousands of potential students, marks the nadir of a policy which has become, in essence, the rationing of hope."

The places were restricted last year after a £200m hole was discovered in the Whitehall funding for universities.

How dare the govt restrict students ability to take on student debt which isn't real debt to benefit their future.

This is scandalous?

Another boost to the unemployment figures coming?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2009/a...sity-admissions

How dare the govt restrict students ability to take on student debt which isn't real debt to benefit their future.

This is scandalous?

Another boost to the unemployment figures coming?

Hopefully some of them will get a job. I think it is a waste of resources to send everyone to uni.

Some chap on the radio today talking about his passes and wanting to study law. Some bloke rings up, says he studied the same A levels in his spare time for a year whilst holding down a job and a family and got better passes.

Asked what the kid had been doing for the past 2 years to get such poor grades - LMAO!

Some chap on the radio today talking about his passes and wanting to study law. Some bloke rings up, says he studied the same A levels in his spare time for a year whilst holding down a job and a family and got better passes.

Asked what the kid had been doing for the past 2 years to get such poor grades - LMAO!

Yebbut isn't an ability to think rationally a serious drawback as a lawyer? You'd end up at cross-purposes to the rest of the profession, and lose most of your cases :wacko:

Where are all these excluded students coming from? I thought the norm was to secure a place - and if necessary a fallback place - back in the winter/spring!

Watched BBC Breakfast News this morning... it was laughable. Some kid got an A, C and a D (felt sorry for her to be honest) and said it was enough to get into uni.... is it? IS it really??? I was lucky to get 4 Bs and managed to redeem myself when I got my 1st class in engineering. But what course could require such low entry grades? The story was bigging up how proud people were of these achievements and all the kids seemed set on going to uni - looked like they were brainwashed, same as the housing phenomenon we are seeing. Something just didn't feel right about the whole thing.

It depends on how popular a course is, my friend's older sister got into to study dentistry with CCC, five years later I got ABB and couldn't get a place anywhere in the UK, I've never gotten over the disappointment and the unfairness of it all.

Does anyone know if any chaps have passed A-levels this year?

I hear rumours that one is pictured in the Guardian but that is unsubstantiated at this time.

"Fruity" girls have done well (of course) for the 1000th consecutive year. ;)

The Daily Mail has surpassed itself, in recent years I thought it had reached the limit, but its even taken the opportunity of jazzing up a what would otherwise by a rather dry barchart this year.

article-1207815-061E66E2000005DC-279_233x420.jpg

Watched BBC Breakfast News this morning... it was laughable. Some kid got an A, C and a D (felt sorry for her to be honest) and said it was enough to get into uni.... is it? IS it really??? I was lucky to get 4 Bs and managed to redeem myself when I got my 1st class in engineering. But what course could require such low entry grades? The story was bigging up how proud people were of these achievements and all the kids seemed set on going to uni - looked like they were brainwashed, same as the housing phenomenon we are seeing. Something just didn't feel right about the whole thing.

A C D isn't bad really, depends on subject.. I got a 2:1 engineering, not that it did me many favors... there was a guy on my course with an A and two E's that also got a 2:1.. most of my classmates got a mixture of A's and B's..

I wish I never went. Just ended up missing the housing boat. Because whilst I was there you ***** were busy selling your houses to one another at ever increasing amounts thus rendering my 'security' and 'aspiration' I was studying for mute.

Probably not that hard if you can break the syllabus down into 6 modules, study a module for 3 months, take a test, re-take it if you aren't happy with the first grade and move on to amass a Grade A via 6 bite sized self-study modules.

Shame life isn't like that. Do we want doctors who can only remember what they learned 3 months ago? No.

FFS we need academic rigour to show that people have "higher than average" intelligence and may benefit from a university degree where they can interact with other smart people.

Must re-sit my poor A-levels to boost my grades!

I had a student house next door to me for about 10 years. Every single group of students in that house seemed to be on a permanent p*ss-up yet all got their degrees.

Had to laugh a few months back when I learnt that two of the feckers, who subsequently got married after leaving the uni, bought a house together and are now about 100K in negative equity!

A couple of years back I took an A level for job development reasons: After what amounted to 30 hours study with a Letts revision guide I got an A (heaven knows what i'd have got if I'd had the chance to resit modules and boost my marks). Makes me wonder what me/my school wasted my time on when I sat my original A levels back in the mid 80s, as 2 after years of full time study and I didnt get any A's..... :ph34r:

Edit to add: Me too, Warwick Watcher.

Edited by General Melchett

What a shame, 50,000 students not able to do :

Business studies - "Sod the hard graft of making stuff to sell lets look at the process of business"

Media Studies - "Important we are able to analyse the way media influences what people think and believe"

I am willing to wager that none of the courses for engineering, physics, chemistry, maths,biology, bio-chemistry etc are full and I suspect many will remain unfilled owing to the hard work involved. How many of this 50,000 would be willing to years course for foundation engineering for example to get onto a real degree.

A C D isn't bad really, depends on subject.. I got a 2:1 engineering, not that it did me many favors... there was a guy on my course with an A and two E's that also got a 2:1.. most of my classmates got a mixture of A's and B's..

I wish I never went. Just ended up missing the housing boat. Because whilst I was there you ***** were busy selling your houses to one another at ever increasing amounts thus rendering my 'security' and 'aspiration' I was studying for mute.

Can I ask... are you still in engineering, and what type? Just out of plain curiosity! :)(I'm electronics - analogue design, but would like to move into oil/nuclear/power).

My niece got C,D and E at Alevel five years ago.

Got a place at one of the crapiest ex polies on a course that wasnt very popular and got a 2:1.

Then did 8 month teacher training.

Started on 24K as a teacher in london.

Can I ask... are you still in engineering, and what type? Just out of plain curiosity! :)(I'm electronics - analogue design, but would like to move into oil/nuclear/power).

Babcocks are recruiting.

EDF are recruiting.

Unfortunately you need some experince of power generation to get a foot on the ladder. Contracting is a great way to go if you can deal with the fact you are a gun for hire and ultimately can be gone in a week. Your best bet is to try Alstom in Leicester as I believe they are still looking and all experience with wiggly amps is usable. At the moment we have a real shortage of people who are familiar with MV and HV and cabable of sorting out site design work for switchgear.

It depends on how popular a course is, my friend's older sister got into to study dentistry with CCC, five years later I got ABB and couldn't get a place anywhere in the UK, I've never gotten over the disappointment and the unfairness of it all.

You do sound rather down in the mouth. :lol:

I did an engineering degree. It was pointless. We don't make anything. I will soon stick a hosepipe from the exhaust to the car interior and do myself in.. I have given up. I don't want to be part of the system any more. but I digress...

My university, Brunel, used to be known for science and engineering, but has seen many of its engineering and science degrees halted. It is now primarily a social science and sport science university.

If you are a brunel graduate what are your qualifications? Have you any experience with power generation? Have you signed up to oil&gascareers website?

In the engineer this week there are a few jobs for bright graduates.

Babcocks are recruiting.

EDF are recruiting.

Unfortunately you need some experince of power generation to get a foot on the ladder. Contracting is a great way to go if you can deal with the fact you are a gun for hire and ultimately can be gone in a week. Your best bet is to try Alstom in Leicester as I believe they are still looking and all experience with wiggly amps is usable. At the moment we have a real shortage of people who are familiar with MV and HV and cabable of sorting out site design work for switchgear.

Thanks for the leads, seriously..! I studied electronics & electrical at Edinburgh, decided to get into electronics but discovered I'd rather be doing something electrical/power-based. I've heard of the EDF graduate scheme though having no real experience with electrical I'm going to find it tough.

Anything else you can add is much appreciated - sorely need a new job come the end of the year.

Engineering does look a bit messed up here (as does housing, education.. .the whole nation!) - I'm training for the police, also. If I can't get any engineering or police jobs I'll be buggered.

If you are a brunel graduate what are your qualifications? Have you any experience with power generation? Have you signed up to oil&gascareers website?

In the engineer this week there are a few jobs for bright graduates.

Is it not notoriously difficult to get into the oil & gas industry? I turned down an offer from BP two years ago (big mistake in hindsight) and Rolls Royce (nuclear controls engineer - another big mistake!!). Re-applying for these big jobs in September when grad roles open up again, even though I'm not a (fresh) grad!

Engineering at Edinburgh is also taking a dive. When I was there the electronics class was about 60 strong... 7 years on it's about 20 or less, I hear..

Edited by thomasross20

This reinforces my assertion that they are definitely getting easier (A levels I mean). I have lost count of the times I have argued with younger people about this. I say "how can everyone be getting better and better results year on year" they say "teaching is a lot better these days' I say "b0ll0x, that cannot account for these ridiculous increases in A grades, if they weren't getting easier why do they need to introduce an A star ?" they say "you're just jealous" I say " No, I got ABB which was a very respectable result in the 80s" i then normally degenerates into intergenerational bickering. However a teacher friend of mine who I was at school with says that they are definitely less intellectually challenging. Any other teachers who took A level in the 80s - 90s out there care to comment ??

Is it not notoriously difficult to get into the oil & gas industry? I turned down an offer from BP two years ago (big mistake in hindsight) and Rolls Royce (nuclear controls engineer - another big mistake!!). Re-applying for these big jobs in September when grad roles open up again, even though I'm not a (fresh) grad!

Engineering at Edinburgh is also taking a dive. When I was there the electronics class was about 60 strong... 7 years on it's about 20 or less, I hear..

It is either too much like hard work for todays students or they have very sensibly decided not to bother with it as there are no prospects. Or a bit of both.

I'm not an engineer: I'm a scientist, so I have no VI in saying, IMHO, the engineering courses were generally the most demanding of all back in my day. And I'm not just taling timetabled work, although generally engineers had more of that in a week than most arts and humanities did in a term.

Depressing, right?

Well, for us engineers, anyway...

IWantaHome - are you thinking of changing profession? I'm looking at everything but there's not much out there IMO - police looks one of the best alternatives for me, personally, if it comes to leaving engineering. Other than that - Standard Life!? Bugger about engineering is most of the jobs (if any!) are down South in obscure locations and I live up here in Scotland and am reluctant to move. Also, it's all so specific - you need 10 years experience in this and that... ridiculous! You really have to get on a good grad scheme and work on everything, covering all bases. I stupidly decided to do a doctorate (which I quit a year and a half later) and feel I'm getting nowhere right now. I'm pouring over my old power notes at night in prep for interview questions.