House Price Crash Forum

Religion Is Evil - A Classic Example Of Why

HOLA441
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12...ers-throat.html

Hmm, so she had a bit on the side. Well clearly the solution is to murder him in the most horrible way imaginable.

Cheers all round from the muslim apologists.

It's not the religion though is it? It's the people.

Guns don't kill people, other people do.

Religions don't start wars or oppress women, people do.

I'm at all religious BTW.

HOLA443
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12...ers-throat.html

Hmm, so she had a bit on the side. Well clearly the solution is to murder him in the most horrible way imaginable.

Cheers all round from the muslim apologists.

Twaddle.

"Community leader Imtiaz Qadir, of the Active Change Foundation, said: ‘Honour crime happens a lot in our community, especially the Pakistani community, but we do try to educate the people.

‘It's a cultural thing from back home. But this type of horrible crime is not exclusive just to Muslims, there have been cases in other religions.’ "

And some crap.

"Honour killings have been recorded among Muslim, Hindu, Sikh and Christian communities but occur predominantly in immigrant families from south Asia and the Middle East."

HOLA444
It's not the religion though is it? It's the people.

Guns don't kill people, other people do.

Religions don't start wars or oppress women, people do.

I'm at all religious BTW.

Well they seem to get their stupid ideas from the books allegedly containing the written words of "god".

Surely if the 10 commandments have any meaning then the one about thou shalt not kill should be at the top if the list, rather than equal to the one about coveting another man's wife?

Funny how often the "peace loving religion that is islam" seems to create monsters who don't fit into Western society. No doubt they'd be happier if time travel was invented so they could go back a few centuries in time.

Kn0bheads the lot of them.

HOLA445
Well they seem to get their stupid ideas from the books allegedly containing the written words of "god".

Surely if the 10 commandments have any meaning then the one about thou shalt not kill should be at the top if the list, rather than equal to the one about coveting another man's wife?

Funny how often the "peace loving religion that is islam" seems to create monsters who don't fit into Western society. No doubt they'd be happier if time travel was invented so they could go back a few centuries in time.

Kn0bheads the lot of them.

Religious texts are written by people, usually religious leaders, and are deliberately vague so as to allow them to interpret them however they wish. They are also re-written and translated through the ages to adapt them to suit the purposes of whoever is in power.

However, you can't just say religion is evil, that's a ridiculous generalisation, and Islam is no exception. Sure there are extreme people with extreme views, but you get the same across all societies and all belief systems of the world. There are hard-line Christians in the US Bible Belt, animal rights activists sending death threats to people, and extremist atheists will say all religions are evil.

People use a variety of ideals to justify their actions, but it doesn't mean the ideology is at fault, just those observing it.

HOLA446
HOLA447
Religious texts are written by people, usually religious leaders, and are deliberately vague so as to allow them to interpret them however they wish. They are also re-written and translated through the ages to adapt them to suit the purposes of whoever is in power.

However, you can't just say religion is evil, that's a ridiculous generalisation, and Islam is no exception. Sure there are extreme people with extreme views, but you get the same across all societies and all belief systems of the world. There are hard-line Christians in the US Bible Belt, animal rights activists sending death threats to people, and extremist atheists will say all religions are evil.

People use a variety of ideals to justify their actions, but it doesn't mean the ideology is at fault, just those observing it.

Islam does seem to be the only one that requires all male followers to recite text from their book like zombies. Doing this from a young age does seem to be slightly like brain washing as practised by the Moonies.

HOLA448
Islam does seem to be the only one that requires all male followers to recite text from their book like zombies. Doing this from a young age does seem to be slightly like brain washing as practised by the Moonies.

Hmmm... I'm fairy sure all the Abrahamic religions require some kind of text recital.

Perhaps you're just being selective because you're actually a bit of a racist but are trying to excuse yourself by saying it's to do with 'barmy' religion?

HOLA449
HOLA4410
Hmmm... I'm fairy sure all the Abrahamic religions require some kind of text recital.

Perhaps you're just being selective because you're actually a bit of a racist but are trying to excuse yourself by saying it's to do with 'barmy' religion?

No I'm just interested in why it seems to be a certain group of religions (including allegedly Christian ones) that attract zealots who go beyond the bounds of our "normal" society due to their belief systems.

In the matter of honour killings I'm struggling to remember the last Christian one that made the news.

Unless I'm mistaken adultery is not a criminal offence in the UK.

HOLA4411

Religion isn't evil in tiself I agree. It's what's done in the name of religion that is such a problem.

Always has been, always will be.

I still find it really hard to understand why 90% of the Earth's population believe in some kind of God or higher being.

HOLA4412
No I'm just interested in why it seems to be a certain group of religions (including allegedly Christian ones) that attract zealots who go beyond the bounds of our "normal" society due to their belief systems.

In the matter of honour killings I'm struggling to remember the last Christian one that made the news.

Unless I'm mistaken adultery is not a criminal offence in the UK.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2005/jun/23/israel

You probably don't hear about it as often because it rarely happens here because,

A.) it's not a very protestant thing to do

B.) it tends to happen in the developing world more often

C.) it tends to be a belief from people who have emigrated from a developing world culture

A long time ago I'm sure such things were relatively common across Western Europe, but we've moved on since then.

And as I said, extremist views are not the sole preserve of religious people. Extremists will use whatever they can to justify their actions, be it religion or something else.

HOLA4413
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2005/jun/23/israel

You probably don't hear about it as often because it rarely happens here because,

A.) it's not a very protestant thing to do

B.) it tends to happen in the developing world more often

C.) it tends to be a belief from people who have emigrated from a developing world culture

A long time ago I'm sure such things were relatively common across Western Europe, but we've moved on since then.

And as I said, extremist views are not the sole preserve of religious people. Extremists will use whatever they can to justify their actions, be it religion or something else.

Fair point in your final sentence. The animal rights supporters go to extreme lengths as they seem to put the rights of animals above those of humans. Perhaps they're right and we're wrong?

HOLA4414
Fair point in your final sentence. The animal rights supporters go to extreme lengths as they seem to put the rights of animals above those of humans. Perhaps they're right and we're wrong?

My fiancée's uncle is a vicar, and obviously his whole family are quite religious, but they're really nice people and don't blabber on about their religion or lecture me on pre-marital sex etc... It's the same with most religious people I've met from various different faiths.

There will always be a few nutters because,l well, there's always some people who are just nuts. They may use religion to defend their actions, but it doesn't mean the religion is to blame. Religion has plenty of good aspects. Most major religions do a lot of worthwhile charity work, and the basic moral codes they give society are a good starting point.

HOLA4415
Guest X-QUORK

Religion is a social control mechanism, and by default, those who fall for it are easily malleable and lacking any inner moral compass. If the good book says it's ok to commit atrocities, these people will go ahead and commit atrocities, no questions asked.

I don't trust the critical faculties of anyone "of faith".

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Islam isn't a race, it's a faith. People can't choose their race and hence shouldn't be insulted for it, but religion means making a choice. If someone chooses to follow a barbaric religion such as Islam, then they deserve to be insulted.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
Religion is a social control mechanism, and by default, those who fall for it are easily malleable and lacking any inner moral compass. If the good book says it's ok to commit atrocities, these people will go ahead and commit atrocities, no questions asked.

I don't trust the critical faculties of anyone "of faith".

well said that man

I can also understand what FH is saying, and agree in most part, but like you say religion is a control mechanism

HOLA4420
It tends to happen in the undeveloping world more often

It tends to be a belief from people who have emigrated from a primitive world culture

HOLA4421
Islam isn't a race, it's a faith. People can't choose their race and hence shouldn't be insulted for it, but religion means making a choice. If someone chooses to follow a barbaric religion such as Islam, then they deserve to be insulted.

Exactly right.

You just saved me posting the same comment.

HOLA4422
Guest skullingtonjoe

Why is this being called an `honour` killing? I mean, it wasn`t exactly a very honourable act - why not just say it as it is: murder.

HOLA4423

Most religious people follow the religion that they were indoctrinated in from an early age - hence the Jesuit saying 'give me a boy to the age of 7 [i.e. to indoctrinate] and I will give you back the man.'

One of the saddest things I've seen on TV was young muslim boys being 'educated' by endless rote learning of the Koran. This was in north west Pakistan - some of those young lads could conceivably be Taliban fighters now.

The religious memeplex's need a constant supply of malleable young minds to be propagated. Some of the targets turn out moderate, some non practising, some fanatics - the indoctrination is indiscriminate. But as someone once said 'to make a good man do evil things usually requires religion!'.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
Guest portwinestain

They're all the same.

The 'Kings' Bible? Speaks for itself really.

Imagine if there was no religion? Bliss.

Archived