House Price Crash Forum

Upcoming Discussion Of Pay Cut

HOLA441

I'm guessing you're recent graduate in the foothills of a legal career. In which case ignore the advice to become Jimmy Hoffa and just hang on as long as you can. Spend the time adapting and looking for another niche, there'll be masses of law grads chasing an ever shrinking number of jobs.

Better to be an early entrant into another lottery with better odds.

Edited by Soon Not a Chain Retailer

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Pretend you're one of the bosses. What are they looking for? Someone who offers constructive comments such as estimated timeframes but crucially isn't doing it in a negative way.

On the quiet get looking and apply for other jobs. Like Q said to Bond, "Never let them see you bleed. And always have an escape plan."

In the NHS I've been through 3 reorganisations in the last 5 years (yes boomtime for the private sector was not boomtime for the NHS) and have always followed Q's advice.

I took the last escape route I had and it was much less stressful to go looking before you needed another job. You can approach the interviews much more relaxed and therefore be more likely to perform well.

The sense of being in control of your own destiny is vital to keeping your cool and your sanity.

I advise you to heed my counsel. ;)

TFH

HOLA443

abharrison is talking sense, troublemakers are the first to go in the professions (the poster's a solicitor) :unsure:

There are no unions or appeals there :(

They are probably going to have another go, but why be a sacrificial lamb who gets shot for speaking out :angry:

Sit meekly, but plan your escape ;)

I've seen both approaches over the years and I know which one works in the real world

While you may be correct, who wants to spend their life being a pussy?

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
Guest theboltonfury
He said go on strike not blow up the office with a gas cylinder! ;)

Still, that approach did seem to work in France....

True, there are very few problems that propane and a match cannot solve.

HOLA448

As ever as ever here advice given without fully understanding circumstances. How strong is the sector you work in long term outlook, is competion doing the same thing, are there other jobs to exit to, how secure is the firm? All questions to ask

Commercial solicitor I would guess pretty dire straits so options may be limited

Funnily enough I am in same position but in construction,. Meeting tomorrow where salary cuts in some shape or form will happen

Options for me pretty limited. Construction is in a depression just now, I believe output down over 10% already. First in recession, last out pretty much! Generally all our competitors have cut salaries hours months ago 15% or so so we have done not bad so far.

Need to see options proposed and take it from there for me

What also makes me laugh is people on here saying wouldn't take a pay cut. If you think about it growth over most of last decade built on credit boom, therefore salary increases also backed by credit boom . Erm so where is the money now going to come from to support your salary, good luck to you. If you don't get your salary cut then expect low/no pay rises for a while till the system re-balances. Get used to it.

Way to increase your salary be more productive, justify your worth. May need to try something new. Considering it myself but holding on for the moment.

Edited by Unknown

HOLA449
HOLA4410