House Price Crash Forum

Sold Stc 6 Months Ago,

HOLA441

Not hugely important in the great scheme of things, but this has been intriguing me.

I noticed this cottage recently on Rightmove,

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sa...ncludeSSTC%3Don

It's the sort of thing we are interested in (especially at that sort of price) although not really in the right area.

The odd thing is that, according to PropertyBee, it was sold STC in December last year, so can anyone think of any reason why is it still being advertised. Surely it shouldn't take that long to complete on a sale.

I suppose it could be a sloppy EA not removing the listing from their website, but I've noticed a few similar cases recently where the house is labelled SSTC but is still showing up many months later.

HOLA442

I'd go for sloppy estate agent. When we were looking to rent our first house at Christmas 2007, the estate agents windows and websites were full of properties. When we came to try to find somewhere they had all gone. The estate agents had kept them on display just to attract attention, even though they had nothing to offer. There was a 3 bed place in particular that was up for about 2 months after it'd been rented out.

HOLA443
I'd go for sloppy estate agent. When we were looking to rent our first house at Christmas 2007, the estate agents windows and websites were full of properties. When we came to try to find somewhere they had all gone. The estate agents had kept them on display just to attract attention, even though they had nothing to offer. There was a 3 bed place in particular that was up for about 2 months after it'd been rented out.

yeah i think it's the agent saying look how good we are we can sell properties like this. so attracts both new buyers and sellers?

HOLA444

It may just be stuck in a chain - you'd be surprised how long it can take for chains to resolve themselves. In this type of market I would be negotiating the price down further if I was involved or backing out to seek out a property with no upward chain - it's a buyers market and you need to be a bit ruthless to ensure that you get the best bargain possible for your money. Sellers were ruthless during the boom years so buyers shouldn't hold back in being ruthless during the bust.

HOLA445

I'm firmly of the belief that Estate Agents are doing 2 things: 1) Putting a new property on as 'sold', when in fact it sold & completed a year ago!! and 2) Even after it has sold/completed leaving the property listed on rightmove as 'sold' purely to keep their profile as high as possible AND to mislead the public that loads of stock is selling - (when in fact loads of this stock is out of date)

I'm completely, utterly convinced of this

HOLA446

Local non-rightmove EA near me wouldn't let me visit one "she's not interested in selling at the moment because the market has dropped", then it's appeared for sold on landreg recently and is still on their website and in the paper.

Sold for above asking price by 5k.

Something well dodgy.

HOLA447
I'm firmly of the belief that Estate Agents are doing 2 things: 1) Putting a new property on as 'sold', when in fact it sold & completed a year ago!! and 2) Even after it has sold/completed leaving the property listed on rightmove as 'sold' purely to keep their profile as high as possible AND to mislead the public that loads of stock is selling - (when in fact loads of this stock is out of date)

what the old, you'd better hurry or you will miss out trick!

nothing new under this sun of ours.

HOLA448
Not hugely important in the great scheme of things, but this has been intriguing me.

It's the sort of thing we are interested in (especially at that sort of price) although not really in the right area.

The odd thing is that, according to PropertyBee, it was sold STC in December last year, so can anyone think of any reason why is it still being advertised. Surely it shouldn't take that long to complete on a sale.

I suppose it could be a sloppy EA not removing the listing from their website, but I've noticed a few similar cases recently where the house is labelled SSTC but is still showing up many months later.

Chain Took 7 Months

Take a look at this thread yesterday

HPC Link

HOLA449

Give the EA a ring and see what their excuse is.

HOLA4410

Thanks for replies,

It could well be that it is part of a chain and, considering how slow the market is, they are waiting for someone else to sell.

It may just be my suspicious mind, but, I did wonder if it is a deliberate ploy to make it look as though things are selling. Without PropertyBee you wouldn't be able to see the date of it going sstc.

I may e-mail the EA to ask what's happening, if it was 10-15 miles further this way I'd definitely be tempted to put in a cash offer and see what happened :ph34r:

Regards

DH

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

How about 3), Putting completely fictitious properties as SSTC on Rightmove.

Earlier this year I noticed 2 local EAs apparently trying to create there own mini spring bounce by taking it in turns listing SSTC properties, about 6 at a time, every few days. The descriptions frequently didn't match the photos, eg "Grimsby, 2 bed terrace, £60,000" was accompanied by what were clearly the pictures of a 4/5 bedroom detached with a large garden!

Sometimes the pictures of the interiors couldn't possibly have come from the same building as the exterior, eg different shaped windows. Frequently though there were no pics at all, and the listings dissapeared a day or two later.

Although this was doubtless intended to create the impression of the boom times returning, all it did was to show just how quiet things must be if EAs have both a ) the time and b ), the inclination, to resort to these tricks

Edited by Neil D Possitt

HOLA4413

I sold in 2008.

When I accepted an offer in mid March the property was on RM as under offer until I completed in June and then it was STC until Feb 2009

I guess they like to advertise that they sold one?