House Price Crash Forum

Moderation Of Distasteful Threads

HOLA441

All,

There are currently two threads on this forum where various posters are repeatedly and delightedly posting about how great it is that some one who appears to have characteristics they dislike has killed themselves. There seems to be a real attitude of delight about this.

This thread has been present for several hours now, and no effort seems to have been made to lock or close the discussion.

To be honest, if this site has deteriorated to the point where it is acceptable to revel in someones death, I'm not sure that it isn't a site I want to participate in.

I have worked in a bank. I have been paid a bonus. I work in finance. I have owned a house. I have some designed clothes. I have been to some nice bars. It seems that this means that some members of this site would like me dead, would revel in my death, and perhaps would like to kill me. I don't think this is very nice, or in the spirit of the site.

What do you lot think?

PS. Moderators, if you feel this is not relevant and should be moved, fine - but I hope you agree that this is an important point?

HOLA442
Guest happy?
All,

There are currently two threads on this forum where various posters are repeatedly and delightedly posting about how great it is that some one who appears to have characteristics they dislike has killed themselves. There seems to be a real attitude of delight about this.

This thread has been present for several hours now, and no effort seems to have been made to lock or close the discussion.

To be honest, if this site has deteriorated to the point where it is acceptable to revel in someones death, I'm not sure that it isn't a site I want to participate in.

I have worked in a bank. I have been paid a bonus. I work in finance. I have owned a house. I have some designed clothes. I have been to some nice bars. It seems that this means that some members of this site would like me dead, would revel in my death, and perhaps would like to kill me. I don't think this is very nice, or in the spirit of the site.

What do you lot think?

PS. Moderators, if you feel this is not relevant and should be moved, fine - but I hope you agree that this is an important point?

It's part of the general tenor of intolerance exhibited on this site nowadays. The question is - do all sites deteriorate in the way HPC has?

HOLA443
Guest absolutezero

I think it's fine to feel slightly better if certain people die.

For example, when Ian Brady croaks it or the killers of Jamie Bulger die I'll be of the "I'm glad they're dead, they were neasty pieces of work" mindset.

I'd not gloat about it but I'd certainly shed no tears.

HOLA444
All,

What do you lot think?

+1

HOLA445
Guest happy?
I think it's fine to feel slightly better if certain people die.

For example, when Ian Brady croaks it or the killers of Jamie Bulger die I'll be of the "I'm glad they're dead, they were neasty pieces of work" mindset.

I'd not gloat about it but I'd certainly shed no tears.

So the moral difference between two misguided children and a grown man who repeatedly abducted, tortured and murdered children (and still tortures their parents) is as zero. My view is that there's no parallel between the conduct of two pre-teen boys (however repugnant their crime) and that of the guy who daily tortures Keith Bennett's elderly mother.

You've made the original poster's point.

HOLA446

Other...

There are a very small number of people out there whose passing wouldn't be a negative. I wouldn't call it pleasure though. With regard to the threads in question, no, that sort of thing gives me no pleasure at all.

HOLA447
Moderation Of Distasteful Threads, Does freedom of speech here extend to sick levels of hatred

This forum is for adults, if you find a thread so distastesful stop reading it. Anything else is the Mary Whitehouse school of censorship where because she didnt want to see / hear something no one else should either.

Edit. Corrected as per p-o-p

Edited by Johnny Storm

HOLA448
Other...

There are a very small number of people out there whose passing wouldn't be a negative. I wouldn't call it pleasure though. With regard to the threads in question, no, that sort of thing gives me no pleasure at all.

I personally wouldn't crassly revel in the death of a banker, but given what they as a class are guilty of:

Quite unbelievable greed;

Trashing the economy in the name of said greed;

Being paid astronomical sums whilst doing so;

Having a stranglehold over the Western governments, which now operate in their interests, not the interests of the demos;

Throwing yokes over the backs of millions so they can retire in spectacular comfort and luxury.

I can understand why people join in, distasteful though it is.

HOLA449
This forum is for adults, if you find a thread so distastesful stop reading it. Anything else is the Mary Woodhouse school of censorship where because she didnt want to see / hear something no one else should either.

Mary Whitehouse or Barbara Woodhouse please! Morphing the concepts is just plain wrong.

p-o-p

HOLA4410
Guest anorthosite
It's part of the general tenor of intolerance exhibited on this site nowadays. The question is - do all sites deteriorate in the way HPC has?

Its different with this site for some reason. I guess we went mainstream. Add to that the fact that its a profit making enterprise now and quality isn't an issue as opposed to bums on seats.

Wow, we're the "Britain's Got Talent" of internet forums :(

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Yeah to be honest, I've only been here a week but I'm already trying to find a proper forum elsewhere to discuss economic issues. This place has a small % of intelligent posters and well-thought out analysis, with an awful lot of timewasters, one-liners, and blatant trolls.

That's what happens to every internet forum eventually unless the moderators absolutely hammer people.

HOLA4413
Guest absolutezero
So the moral difference between two misguided children and a grown man who repeatedly abducted, tortured and murdered children (and still tortures their parents) is as zero. My view is that there's no parallel between the conduct of two pre-teen boys (however repugnant their crime) and that of the guy who daily tortures Keith Bennett's elderly mother.

You've made the original poster's point.

Please do correct me if I'm wrong but I'm reading that as though you're saying the Bulger killers didn't know what they were doing was wrong.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
Guest tbatst2000

I don't think posts gloating about people killing themselves add anything to the debate about economics or house prices. Best bet is to ignore them I think.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Guest tbatst2000
Please do correct me if I'm wrong but I'm reading that as though you're saying the Bulger killers didn't know what they were doing was wrong.

It's entirely possible they didn't - which is why letting them out seems like such a bit risk to me.

HOLA4418

Its certainly a balance, but speaking from a personal point of view, just because someone finds it distasteful, it doesn't mean it should be moderated.

On your specific point, I don't think we have a rule for people saying that they are glad someone is dead, or they wish someone was dead. The line however has been clearly drawn in the past at the point where a threat to kill, or a suggestion that people should go and kill or otherwise infringe on someones quality of life.

Personally, the moderating team in general i think would be considered "liberal" on most things.

If you don't like a thread, then please don't read it.

If you don't like what a paticular poster has to say, please just put them on ignore.

If anyone is seen to have overstepped the line, some action will be taken, depending on whats happened.

HOLA4419
Guest KingCharles1st

I reckon the bloke had probably "Gordoned" himself up to the hilt in debt- ie failed really really clever business schemes etc etc. Knew he was going to lose his job, and being from the "social background" he originally came from, knew his fall from grace would have been so complete- he chose the easy way out. Maybe he was with Charlie at the time- who knows?

HOLA4420
Guest KingCharles1st
Its certainly a balance, but speaking from a personal point of view, just because someone finds it distasteful, it doesn't mean it should be moderated.

On your specific point, I don't think we have a rule for people saying that they are glad someone is dead, or they wish someone was dead. The line however has been clearly drawn in the past at the point where a threat to kill, or a suggestion that people should go and kill or otherwise infringe on someones quality of life.

Personally, the moderating team in general i think would be considered "liberal" on most things.

If you don't like a thread, then please don't read it.

If you don't like what a paticular poster has to say, please just put them on ignore.

If anyone is seen to have overstepped the line, some action will be taken, depending on whats happened.

That's A1 moderation there fella- well done.

However, there is "someone in power" we all would possibly at least like to give a good kicking to- isn't there children...

HOLA4421
This forum is for adults, if you find a thread so distastesful stop reading it. Anything else is the Mary Whitehouse school of censorship where because she didnt want to see / hear something no one else should either.

Edit. Corrected as per p-o-p

I'd missed the mechanism that stops minors viewing the forum, but I've not checked since I signed up so I'll take your word for it.