House Price Crash Forum

The Moon

TTD

HOLA441
That's a lot of mindless rambling on that board!

Care to post your own comments & opinions?

That's true, but it does highlight the level of mindless rambling that does go on in terms of anything to do with the moon.

They went. Mike Collins is a legend!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
Guest anorthosite
Of course we've been to the Moon..

buzz-aldrin-moon-mcdonalds.jpg

The only good thing about not going back to the moon since 1972 is that it doesn't look like that now.

HOLA443

Oh I like this one - can someone explain this...

moonlanding8.jpg

"In this photograph of John Young readjusting an antenna next to the Lunar Rover Vehicle (LRV), there is a marker, known as a cross-hair (inset) (P), that goes behind the LRV's equipment. These cross-hairs (Q), which appear on all the lunar photographs, are made by a screen of cross-hairs placed between the shutter and the film. The bright, reflected light may have obliterated the fine line of this one, or it could have happened if the image was retouched. The foreground shows what looks like the letter 'C' on a boulder ®. Is this perhaps an identification letter left on a studio prop? The letter C on the original photo is actually quite well defined and it is hard to imagine what can cause such a well-laid inscription on a boulder in a desolate place such as the moon. The tracks made by the LRV's wheel turn rather oddly at right-angles (S). These tracks could have been caused by studio technicians pushing the buggy into place. Such clear tracks and footprints require moisture to form and should not appear on the dry lunar surface."

Thanks to Ramandeep Singh for the above..

HOLA444
Guest anorthosite
Oh I like this one - can someone explain this...

moonlanding8.jpg

"In this photograph of John Young readjusting an antenna next to the Lunar Rover Vehicle (LRV), there is a marker, known as a cross-hair (inset) (P), that goes behind the LRV's equipment. These cross-hairs (Q), which appear on all the lunar photographs, are made by a screen of cross-hairs placed between the shutter and the film. The bright, reflected light may have obliterated the fine line of this one, or it could have happened if the image was retouched. The foreground shows what looks like the letter 'C' on a boulder ®. Is this perhaps an identification letter left on a studio prop? The letter C on the original photo is actually quite well defined and it is hard to imagine what can cause such a well-laid inscription on a boulder in a desolate place such as the moon. The tracks made by the LRV's wheel turn rather oddly at right-angles (S). These tracks could have been caused by studio technicians pushing the buggy into place. Such clear tracks and footprints require moisture to form and should not appear on the dry lunar surface."

I think its been quite well established that the first one is the bright light you mentioned and the "C" is a hair on the film during copying, as it isn't on the original image.

The lack of water actually helps the process of forming tracks & prints, its a complicated process caused by silicate minerals. You've made the most common mistake of the lunar conspiracy theorist - you've based your assumption of how a waterless, airless & fairly homogenous geological environment behaves based on your experiences on a wet planet with an atmosphere and a complicated geology.

I'm not sure I can see a problem with the tracks - the LRV had a tight turning circle after all.

HOLA445
Guest anorthosite

I've just been to his blog. Does he actually think this nonsense?!?

This is pretty bad:

moonlanding3.jpg

NASA claims the strange shape (E) - in this shot taken from the Lunar Module while it was 95 km above the moon's surface - is a shadow cast by the Command Module's rocket. But when larger aircraft fly at lower altitudes over the Earth, they do not cast such huge and defined shadows.

Oh dear, lets have a look at a picture of a lunar module shall we?

lunar-module-challenger-as17-149-22857-sw.jpg

Now, can you see the windows? That's where the previous picture would have been taken from. Now, can you see the little rocket nozzles just to the side? That's what's in the photo. Apparently he can't tell the difference between a shadow and a silhouette :o

HOLA446
I've just been to his blog. Does he actually think this nonsense?!?

This is pretty bad:

Oh dear, lets have a look at a picture of a lunar module shall we?

lunar-module-challenger-as17-149-22857-sw.jpg

Now, can you see the windows? That's where the previous picture would have been taken from. Now, can you see the little rocket nozzles just to the side? That's what's in the photo. Apparently he can't tell the difference between a shadow and a silhouette :o

No idea if he believes it or not mate - I suspect so as he spends enough time posting it..

Just one q though - if the shadow is the silhouette of the manouvering thruster on the side why is the dark area visible from the window then the light source is directly behind the camera?

HOLA447
Guest anorthosite
No idea if he believes it or not mate - I suspect so as he spends enough time posting it..

Just one q though - if the shadow is the silhouette of the manouvering thruster on the side why is the dark area visible from the window then the light source is directly behind the camera?

What light source is behind the camera? It can't be the sun, because then the body of the lunar module would be between it and the thrusters - it would be right behind them, given that they're almost above the terminator. And it can't be coming from inside the lunar module as the astronaut's head would be in the way, after all these are small windows, and the lunar module didn't have much light inside it. From memory I would also say the cabin lights were off during the landing, other than the instrument lights.

Add to that the fact that the surface is very bright (I suspect the camera had a narrow aperture) and it makes sense that it would be dark in the picture.

HOLA448
What light source is behind the camera? It can't be the sun, because then the body of the lunar module would be between it and the thrusters - it would be right behind them, given that they're almost above the terminator. And it can't be coming from inside the lunar module as the astronaut's head would be in the way, after all these are small windows, and the lunar module didn't have much light inside it. From memory I would also say the cabin lights were off during the landing, other than the instrument lights.

Add to that the fact that the surface is very bright (I suspect the camera had a narrow aperture) and it makes sense that it would be dark in the picture.

Hmmmm I was taking the shadows on the lunar surface as a guide that the sun (the only lunar light source I can think of) was behind the module.

HOLA449

If you look up at the night sky you will see billions of stars. There are no stars in any of the Moon landing photos. This is because it is impossible to simulate the star effect without it looking like some naff sci fi show so the solution was to simply have black backgrounds.

. Nuts :rolleyes:

HOLA4410
Guest skullingtonjoe
The BBC is running a series of programmes to mark the 40th anniversary of the moon landings - or the supposed moon landings, if a certain class of conspiracy theorist is to be believed.

What's the vote?

Did it really happen?

Was it all a fake?

Is there anyone who really believes that it was all staged from a studio in the desert, a la Capricorn One?

If we didn`t go to the moon how do we explain Moonbase Alpha? :lol:

HOLA4411
Guest anorthosite
Hmmmm I was taking the shadows on the lunar surface as a guide that the sun (the only lunar light source I can think of) was behind the module.

Exactly, the body of the lunar module is between the sun and the thrusters.

HOLA4412
Guest anorthosite

Remind me, were there any stars in the sky in the photos of Moonbase Alpha?

HOLA4413
Guest anorthosite
If you look up at the night sky you will see billions of stars. There are no stars in any of the Moon landing photos. This is because it is impossible to simulate the star effect without it looking like some naff sci fi show so the solution was to simply have black backgrounds.

. Nuts :rolleyes:

You're confusing NASA with the guys who edited the expenses receipts.

And while I know you jest, I suggest anyone who believes you should take a photo at night using a compact and a flash and see how many stars you get.

HOLA4414
Guest Skinty
And while I know you jest, I suggest anyone who believes you should take a photo at night using a compact and a flash and see how many stars you get.

Surely that depends on how fast you can run away after the flash?

HOLA4415

the stars clearly show up in this picture

article-1093070-02BE4C8D000005DC-798_468x375.jpg

HOLA4416
Guest anorthosite
the stars clearly show up in this picture

article-1093070-02BE4C8D000005DC-798_468x375.jpg

Yeah, but look how much longer the shadow on the little pink dude is.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
Guest Skinty
Yeah, but look how much longer the shadow on the little pink dude is.

Do you use that line for all the ladies?

HOLA4419
Guest anorthosite

Yes. Any idea why they usually scream and call the police?

HOLA4420
Guest Skinty
Yes. Any idea why they usually scream and call the police?

Mmmm .... have you ever considered starring in adult films?

HOLA4421
Guest AuntJess
Mmmm .... have you ever considered starring in adult films?

Judging by his avatar, he has the right 'props' for it. ;)

HOLA4422
With a good telescope you can actually see equipment left behind on the moon - there's also a mirror system left up there so we can reflect a beam back to measure the distances.

If you were very cynical you might say that the minimum conclusion would be that we dropped the kit off there from an orbiter and then faked the human landing side for some reason.

Buckers

erm ... I don't believe in the conspiracy stuff at all.

But it's nonsense that a good telescope from earth can see kit a few metres wide on the moon. It's a quarter of a million miles away and the best we can see is something maybe 100 metres across and even then it would need to be quite high contrast. The Hubble is the wrong design for something so 'close', it points the wrong way and its receptors are designed to maximise collection of very faint light, the moon would be far too bright to point it at.

HOLA4423
Guest anorthosite
erm ... I don't believe in the conspiracy stuff at all.

But it's nonsense that a good telescope from earth can see kit a few metres wide on the moon. It's a quarter of a million miles away and the best we can see is something maybe 100 metres across and even then it would need to be quite high contrast. The Hubble is the wrong design for something so 'close', it points the wrong way and its receptors are designed to maximise collection of very faint light, the moon would be far too bright to point it at.

True, there's nothing that can resolve any man made object on the moon.

Well, at least until next month when the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter starts photomapping the moon in unprecedented detail. They hope to image the Apollo 11 landing site in time for next month's 40th anniversary.

HOLA4424

Can someone explain the purple wigs of UFO?

LtGayEllisFace.jpg

The best they could do for stars were Martin Landau and Barbera Bain. Nuff said.

I'm thinking of adopting it though.

Could help me score with the niche "educated/science babe" sector.

glasses.jpg

I'm pretty sure they all look like this.

HOLA4425
Guest skullingtonjoe

Not that I can remember - I think they left the sky black (unless it was a `shot of the galaxy / long distance probe etc`) :unsure:

Archived