House Price Crash Forum

Dyson

Guest redwine

HOLA441
Therein lies another problem with the Dysons - sometimes you just don't want to know/see what you've hoovered up, let alone risk breathing in while you shake out the contents into the bin...

OTOH it can be satisfying to see the results of brandishing the hoover around the house. Hoovering (Dysoning?) is a very boring and thankless task, so I do rather like seeing exactly what I've achieved when I could have been doing something enjoyably useless instead.

I'd never have believed what was lurking in that mattress if I hadn't seen it whizzing in - and probably wouldn't have bothered doing it again.

BTW I think I read the dust mite horror story in Bill Bryson's 'A Short History Of Nearly Everything'. Very interesting - provided you are blessed with a strong stomach. ;)

HOLA442
HOLA443
My hoover a Tornado died last week after over 10 years of loyal service (with a bag)

the "mrs" wants a Dyson a bagless hoover

i was comparing the "data" between a hoover with a bag and a bagless and there's little difference between them apart from the price

Dyson's seem to me to be very expensive and i do not like there "star wars robot " look that they have

is it worth investing in a Dyson? the compare the price style web-sites say that its brilliant but so it should be for it's price

any thoughts ?

I have a dyson, but as poster said before, it's rubbish on hard floors. I wouldn't bother.

HOLA444
OTOH it can be satisfying to see the results of brandishing the hoover around the house. Hoovering (Dysoning?) is a very boring and thankless task, so I do rather like seeing exactly what I've achieved when I could have been doing something enjoyably useless instead.

I'd never have believed what was lurking in that mattress if I hadn't seen it whizzing in - and probably wouldn't have bothered doing it again.

BTW I think I read the dust mite horror story in Bill Bryson's 'A Short History Of Nearly Everything'. Very interesting - provided you are blessed with a strong stomach. ;)

I agree, it's very satisfying watching how much stuff goes into our Dyson. The first day we had ours I cleaned one carpet, there was so much stuff in it that I did the rest of the house and near damn filled it!

We bought our DC04 7 years ago from T J Hughes. It's taken some hammer, both normal household and DIY use, and is still doing OK. However I must have spent half as much again on spares. I'm on my third stretchy hose bit, as they split after about three years.

Friends who have bought Miele rate them very highly, but those with pets reckon you need to buy the turbo-head to get hairs out of the carpet.

HOLA445

Get a Vax:

1203.jpg

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/s...Upright+Cleaner

It is an amazing machine, 6 year garentee so if it ever goes wrong you get a new machine (and VAX support is amazing if you ever need it). Lots of modern electronics go wrong in much less than 6 years, so IMHO that is worth its weight in gold...

On top of that It is really really well designed and feels very sturdy, easy to empty, big, great spinning attachments that work by the suction. It is a little heavier than the dyson, but IMHO thats a price you have to pay for a higher quality machine

HOLA446
HOLA447
Another vote for Henry.

Had two Dysons, DC01 and DC04 - Hated them both.

Henry just works. No frills, cheap bags, decent tools.

Absolutely Henry. I've had hundreds of them (no really) never had any trouble with them and one of the very small number of things that if you give them to staff to use they struggle to break.

HOLA448
Get a Vax:

1203.jpg

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/s...Upright+Cleaner

It is an amazing machine, 6 year garentee so if it ever goes wrong you get a new machine (and VAX support is amazing if you ever need it). Lots of modern electronics go wrong in much less than 6 years, so IMHO that is worth its weight in gold...

On top of that It is really really well designed and feels very sturdy, easy to empty, big, great spinning attachments that work by the suction. It is a little heavier than the dyson, but IMHO thats a price you have to pay for a higher quality machine

I'm another Vax user, mainly because I have cr*p joints and the Vax I have is an ultralightweight. No bag, because I can never seem to find the replacements but it's a gruesome job emptying the thing and knocking all the dust out of the filter.

Coudn't bring myself to pay all that for a dyson.

HOLA449
Guest redwine

thanks for replying hpc members

i have decided not to buy a Dyson for two reasons

1 spare parts i think will be a big problem here in france

2 something i didn't even think of was how do you empty the Dyson

when you live on the third floor in a small block of flats without a lift ?

i couldn't see myself carrying the dyson down three flights of stairs to empty it in the bin room and then having to bring it back up again

ta much

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Guest redwine
Durability - Henry or Miele (if you are flush). Alto pretty good too.

i like the look of a "henry" but i have never seen any over here so it will have a Miele

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Guest redwine
Probably called a 'Henri'

(I have of course assumed you are in France, which I accept, is quite an assumption.)

Henry hoovers simply do not exist in france you can only find them on the web but a name like Henry wouldn't work here as the french do not pronounce the letter H so they would call it "enry"

it could be a new market for there sales team?

HOLA4414

i couldn't see myself carrying the dyson down three flights of stairs to empty it in the bin room and then having to bring it back up again

ta much

You don't have to take the whole cleaner, you can just unlatch the dust 'bin' thing and empty that. Trying to save you a strangulated hernia.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Moosetea is quite right - the Vax Mach range has the same bagless, multi-cyclonic suction technology as Dyson but cost a lot less, it comes with a TurboTool as standard and have a longer guarantee, so they really are great value for money.

The Mach 7 is the largest of the upright Machs with the highest spec, including WindTunnel, which means it has the best dust pick up. But if you’d prefer a more lightweight, manoeuvrable version I’d say go for the Mach 2 - http://www.vax.co.uk/shop/upright-vacuum-c...VZL-6012_Mach-2 - or a cylinder version such as the Mach 1 - ylinder...

HOLA4417

Quite easy really, just take the 'bag' bit off (it's quite small), gently empty into a plastic bag, tie and stick in the bin. I usually empty mine over the sink, so any dust can be rinsed away. I also wear rubber gloves, for winkling out any dusty lumps that want to stay put. Mine is usually pretty full by the time I empty it, so dust gets somewhat compacted.

HOLA4418

When I first bought my Dyson I decided to test it against my Hoover (about to be retired).

I gave the carpet a good Hoovering. Then I ran the Dyson over it. The amount of muck it picked up that the Hoover had missed was shocking.

Most "problems" with a Dyson can be solved by cleaning the component parts. As it's a modular design this isn't such a chore.

HOLA4419

As an ex-Dyson employee who knew their products very well (many moons ago), I can say that you don't get the whole picture just by looks, cost or even by trying it out in a shop.

Some of the competitor models looked similar but performed appallingly, e.g. had terrible filters in them.

The ones with poor filters would pick up dust then spew it out from their exhaust. You could tell because you could really smell it when you were doing the vacuuming. Can't say I'm up on the technology of all the latest products, but I would go for the Dyson as you're unlikely to be disappointed. They charge a premium and I'm not one to buy fancy brands, but at least in the past there was a clear performance benefit. Sometimes it's worth paying a little extra.

---------

p.s. I noticed someone else has the same user icon as me - what are the chances of that....guess it's my responsibility to change mine.

Archived