House Price Crash Forum

'hot And Dry' U K Summer Forecast

the anti krust

HOLA441
Guest anorthosite
I remember how Jilly Cooper had a pop at weather forecasters in her book about TV stations " Rivals". She said that the weatherman used to lean out of the window the night before - to see what the sky was like - so he'd know what to say on the weather report the next morning. :lol:

And statistically speaking, they'd be right two thirds of the time.

To be fair, I find that the BBC forecast has become a lot more accurate in recent years. As a regular hillwalker, I pay very close attention to the forecast, more so than most, and I've noticed a significant improvement. Timing can be off sometimes, but the general trends are spot on.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Well our excellent Met Office predicted a BBQ Summer.

I'm not sure what would today put out the BBQ first, the rain or the wind.

If they weren't so obsessed with global warming they'd perhaps spend more time getting our seasonal forecasts accurate.

The last five have been abysmal. A great contrarian indicator their forecasts.

Cold winter on the way if the gloom continues.

HOLA448
Guest anorthosite
It appears that the "hot summer" headlines are similar to the "green shoots of recovery" headlines in that what you hear on the news is at complete odds with what you see when you look out of the window.

Its been a better summer than usual up here in the highlands. I have no complaints.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
Hot and dry conditions predicted for August.

True or is it more the 'Green shoots of recovereh?'

Untrue, unless the weather patterns suddenly alter on 2 August?... The South West and Wales sound truly ghastly...

UK Outlook for Thursday 23 Jul 2009 to Saturday 1 Aug 2009:

An unsettled, showery theme is expected across the United Kingdom for a good part of the period. Showers are possible anywhere, some of which are expected to be heavy, though with clear or sunny intervals between. There are also likely to be spells of more prolonged, and at times heavy rain, most likely across northern and western parts of the United Kingdom, though on Thursday southeastern England is at risk for a time. The heaviest and most persistent rain is expected across southwest facing upslopes. During the first weekend and for a time early in the following week, southern parts of England could become somewhat less unsettled, with more in the way of dry, bright weather. Rather windy at first. Temperatures rather cool at first, slowly recovering to nearer normal.

Updated: 1250 on Sat 18 Jul 2009

HOLA4413

Archived