House Price Crash Forum

Why Do A Third Of Men Live At Home With Their Parents?

HOLA441
  • Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
I didn't say just men, did I? Why don't these tossers share a house or flat with other young people and have fun out there. Most kids are raring to leave home for the big wide world.

Define "having fun" and explain why these mysterious "fun things" you are about to list can only take place when one is lodging with friends.

HOLA443
Guest X-QUORK
Define "having fun" and explain why these mysterious "fun things" you are about to list can only take place when one is lodging with friends.

Playing music loud, snorting tequila and burning baked beans at 4am might annoy your Mum?

HOLA444
I moved with my work to London when I was 19, stayed in a hostel and after a few months flat shared with three or four other guys in a similiar position.

Renting or buying on my own was impossible in a financial sense at the time, similiar to today's climate.

Kids today are soft bellied and look to the comforts of 'home '. That way they will never learn to stand on their own two feet and progress.

It's almost two decades since I was 19 but I reckon they have it far tougher now. Leave school at 16 or 18 and there won't be many apprenticeships and you will have to compete for low-paid entry-level work with an army of adults from Eastern Europe and beyond. They could always go to university (an option not open to many back in the 1980s) but their graduate qualification may be all but worthless, will not differentiate them from their peers and will leave their thousands of pounds in debt before they've even started work. They will pay the crippling pensions of an older generation who never saved enough, pay some of the highest housing costs in the world and work some of the longest hours. Whilst they do it they will be sneered at, denigrated, criminalised and abused. Young people are bled dry in this country rather than being helped and encouraged. It's a damn shame.

HOLA445
I was busy holding off Russian Armoured Divisions at 18 (well...pissing it up in Germany), but in any case, the old man always made it perfectly clear that my presence was no longer required after my 18th birthday.

I do understand the monetary benefits of staying with the folks, but I'm sorry, I wouldn't be able to take anyone seriously who was still living with their parents in their 30s. Short stays of a few months after a divorce, understandable...but having never lived away at that stage in life...it's just wrong and a bit bloody sad. Don't the folks deserve a rest?

I know a bloke who moved back after splitting with his misses. She got the kids and house. He's 45.

HOLA446
Its all about the individual. Some people dont mind living at home with parents, some people couldn't bear it any longer than they had too.

I know a couple of mates in their late 30's still doing it. One because he has never managed to put any money together to be able to afford it, and one who wouldn't be able to cope with spending a chunk of money on rent/mortgage when there is a free room at mums!!!! (It hurts him to spend money! - his words!!!) and the second bloke also has two BTL's as well!

To me it is well worth the monthly cost, whether it be rent or mortgage, to NOT be living at home!

==============================================

Late 30's and still at home with mum and dad- still single as well presumably.

Imagine pulling at that age and then saying you live with your parents - I can't think of anything more humiliating.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
It's almost two decades since I was 19 but I reckon they have it far tougher now. Leave school at 16 or 18 and there won't be many apprenticeships and you will have to compete for low-paid entry-level work with an army of adults from Eastern Europe and beyond. They could always go to university (an option not open to many back in the 1980s) but their graduate qualification may be all but worthless, will not differentiate them from their peers and will leave their thousands of pounds in debt before they've even started work. They will pay the crippling pensions of an older generation who never saved enough, pay some of the highest housing costs in the world and work some of the longest hours. Whilst they do it they will be sneered at, denigrated, criminalised and abused. Young people are bled dry in this country rather than being helped and encouraged. It's a damn shame.

Exactamundo.

Poor bastards. :(

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
I'm currently living with 3 girls. It's great. :)

Because being a mummy's boy means that you don't get any pussy.

Biggest turn-off ever, girls run a mile from any guy that looks like he can't handle himself as an adult.

*crotch thrust*

Absolute bo**ocks. If you are tall, good-looking, stylish, educated and fit they don't give a sheeeite.

Yeah big turn-off a curvaceous, sexy 30 year old woman who lives with her parents. Wouldn't bed her unless she got her independence. Yeah right .

HOLA4412

Given the fact that pensions promised to parents are not going to materialise, the men living with their parents are just being ahead of the curve. Parents will have to live with their children in old age, unless they want to work until they drop. Of course, those parents that threw their children out of the home aged 18, are going to get their comeuppance.

Just a thought.

HOLA4413

now if only we had a hyperinflation to wipe out the 'value' of the baby boomers pensions...

thanx in advance, Merv ;)

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

im 25 and i live at home at the minute -- though i have got a g/f and will be moving out with her, she's just ill and can't work at the minute. being that i earn shit money, we wanna make sure we can afford to rent a half decent place with a bit of savings behind us. we'll just about manage. i dont give a f**k about owning a house, by the way.

i dunno if women are turned off by "mummys boys." If you're an ugly c**t, it dont matter who you live with -- you're still an ugly c**t. I never had to much trouble gettin a shag when I was single, but then you can shag in all sorts of places haha. Then again i havent been single for a few years, it might be different if i was 45.

I have lived away with my mrs whilst she did her masters though (for about a year). It's easy, cooking, washing all that sh*t. Bit boring but easy, lol at the soppy tw*t who thinks its macho. The only difference is you've got more money goin out of your bank.

Not being a pussy is a state of mind, not where you live. A woman will soon tell if you are or not.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
now if only we had a hyperinflation to wipe out the 'value' of the baby boomers pensions...

thanx in advance, Merv ;)

Would you explain the gilts purchasing circle and why it necessarily means significant inflation?

HOLA4418

How the hell is single guy who who studied at University and ends up on an average wage expected to buy a property these days ?. Hate the way they are stigmatised as Mummy's Boys just because property or rent is ridiculously high unless they want to rent in over-inflated squalor. Yet a girl gan get pregnant at 16, who absolute s** t between the ears, has not lifted a finger to work and never intends to but gets a place for free.

I would chuck out the single mothers out of "their" accommodation and give it to the single guys and make the single mothers and their ******* offspring go back to live with their family. Perhaps that way the parents might bring up their children with more discipline.

HOLA4419
Guest X-QUORK
Yeah, I have to agree with you there, although, when I popped in, I found the granite worktop surface was a bit cold on the old meat and two veg. :P

She warmed a plate for mine.

HOLA4420

I didn't table this thread to turn into a battle of the sexes, I was just curious what everyone's thoughts and experiences were of men living at home at such an old age and if it may be a true stat and not just the usual media bile to shame some into renting or buying overpriced shitholes. :unsure:

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
surely an obvious answer is that they don't - but that they live with the mother of their kids/some girl and her kids, but cliam they live at their mam's so the girl gets more benefits......

Cynical or what...wait until they check the toothbrush and wardrobe. ;)

HOLA4424
==============================================

Late 30's and still at home with mum and dad- still single as well presumably.

Imagine pulling at that age and then saying you live with your parents - I can't think of anything more humiliating.

Being short or bald or ginger, having bad teeth, being fat or skinny, having big ears or a big nose or freckles or stumpy legs. Quite an inexhaustable supply of things if you really think hard about it.

HOLA4425
Being short or bald or ginger, having bad teeth, being fat or skinny, having big ears or a big nose or freckles or stumpy legs. Quite an inexhaustable supply of things if you really think hard about it.

Are women that shallow? LOL I never had an problem geting my hole. Mind you I'm just tick the tall and skinny boxes. :lol: