House Price Crash Forum

Sterling Rally

HOLA441
Look at the pound for the last month against just about any other currency in the world though, e.g. AU$ and SE Asian currencies. Not pretty.

Very pretty for me CynicAl :rolleyes: .$,£ are both stuffed ,two drunks together while Asia is in the gym.Fly in the ointment is the Euro.I still think long term decline against the currencies you mention AU$ and SE Asia.

£ could halt its fall if money moves into the FTSE though.

HOLA442
Free Markets exercising their exuberant confidence engendered by the Glorious Words of Triumph of our Beloved Chancellor!

Praise him! His power is Mighty!

Keep this up and you'll be in line for a job as a 'special advisor' at No 10. I belive there's a vacancy at the moment. :lol:

HOLA443
Seems that there is suddenly a serious rush of money into the £ vs $.

Any ideas why? Is the maket pricing in interest rate rises pretty soon?

Haven't seen a serious move in GBP/USD since last October or November when it moved 700 PIPS in one trading session and 1000 PIPS in the 24 hour period.

This is still volatility but mediocre and is a good way of making money for trades of a few weeks or months duration, sometimes with a shedload invested a handsome profit can turn up in a week if the market moves 800 PIPS or so

HOLA444

Sterling storming upwards this morning!

So much for the doom-sayers saying the pound would collapse... Ye of little faith! :P

http://uk.reuters.com/article/businessNews...E53E1ZO20090415

http://www.citywire.co.uk/adviser/-/news/m....aspx?ID=336634

While the euro has maintained its strength against the pound for some time in the wake of severe strain in the UK economy and the need to rescue much of its banking sector, it has started to devalue against sterling since the start of the year as the realisation dawns that Europe is in no better state than Britain.

The pound has gained more than ten cents since the end of last year when it hit record lows of around €1.0193, although it has been a particularly bumpy ride, with the currency dipping in early March to a low of €1.0524.

David Buik, of BGC Capital Partners, said the move today was part of an adjustment taking place following the overselling of sterling.

'Having maintained immense strength, it's unrealistic to believe (the euro) economy is that much stronger than ours, so we are getting quite a sharp correction,' Buik said.

Buik explained that the now well-known weakness of countries within the european region - such as Ireland and Spain - and the fact that stronger countries are now having to get involved to support struggling industries such as car manufacturers, was weighing on the euro.

Edited by Mr Deflation

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
Well i did say a few months ago to sell euros buy pounds, well i guess no one really looks at my tips, same as when i said buy euros sell pounds 2 years ago at 1.52.

So I guess you took your own advice and are now rich beyond your wildest dreams?

good for you!!!

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Seems that there is suddenly a serious rush of money into the £ vs $.

Any ideas why? Is the maket pricing in interest rate rises pretty soon?

Come on this is simple. The new series of apprentice has started and the world has been bowled over by (Britains Brightest Buisiness talents) As such confidence has been restored ;)

HOLA4412
Come on this is simple. The new series of apprentice has started and the world has been bowled over by (Britains Brightest Buisiness talents) As such confidence has been restored ;)

More likely that the tills at the queen Vic in Eastenders are bringing in extra money after Phil Mitchell starts hitting the bottle again!

HOLA4413
Guest Skinty

My parents are selling their house in Germany and have just received an offer. They would be selling it at a loss, but because of the poor exchange rate compared to when they bought they pretty much end up with the same amount of pounds again if they transfer it back again. They were going to retire to Germany but for various reasons have decided that they will stay in Britain (mainly because of the free health care for my dad). So they are faced with two options:

Either transfer the euros back to a british bank. hope deflation happens and that the banks don't go bust

Or keep the Euros, try and get a better interest rate in Germany and hope that the pound doesn't recover against the Euro.

Any ideas?

HOLA4414