House Price Crash Forum

What Percentage Of Asking Price Being Achieved?

HOLA441

Hi all,

as a followup to me message on the rental forum, I am considering buying our current rental property as an alternative to having to move again as we've been served notice.

I am trying to find out what percentage of asking price is being achieved in recent times. I know a little while ago it had dropped to about 90%, is this still the case?

I'm having trouble finding the info.

Thanks

Topher Bear

HOLA442
HOLA443

Actually I finally found it, on a reuters report from 2nd March, from Hometrack.

They say on average 12 weeks to sell, and 88.3% of asking price achieved on average. would be interesting to see the region breakdown on that!

Now thinking my initial thoughts of 80 - 85% asking price are too high, might try 75%!

HOLA444
Actually I finally found it, on a reuters report from 2nd March, from Hometrack.

They say on average 12 weeks to sell, and 88.3% of asking price achieved on average. would be interesting to see the region breakdown on that!

Now thinking my initial thoughts of 80 - 85% asking price are too high, might try 75%!

really depends on the realism of the asking price in relation to the peak for similar in the area

HOLA445

Wow, for someone with that much time on the forum I would have thought that 75% was generous.

I realize you may have family considerations and the act of moving is a major undertaking but 75% of a "realistically" priced house today is going to sting in 10 months.

HOLA446
Hi all,

as a followup to me message on the rental forum, I am considering buying our current rental property as an alternative to having to move again as we've been served notice.

I am trying to find out what percentage of asking price is being achieved in recent times. I know a little while ago it had dropped to about 90%, is this still the case?

Thanks

Topher Bear

Hometrack publish such data, and is about as current as mortgage lending data i.e lagging by about a month or two

HOLA447
HOLA448
Wow, for someone with that much time on the forum I would have thought that 75% was generous.

I realize you may have family considerations and the act of moving is a major undertaking but 75% of a "realistically" priced house today is going to sting in 10 months.

I agree. Anecdotal evidence from friends suggests that if you make potential offers on a number of properties at 25% below asking price, 20% - 25% of them will accept your asking price within a fortnight (usually after attempting to get you to raise your price first). Don't be put off by E.A. eyeball-rolling, severe frowning or sharp sucking of air through clenched teeth and other spurious body language. It's all part of the game. By the same token, then 30% or better should be theoretically be possible, but there may be a waiting period while the vendors 'peruse' your offer.

If, of course, you've fallen in love with one particular property, then it all becomes a little more difficult to remain relaxed about the process.

HOLA449
Hi all,

Thanks

Topher Bear

tim warren said on 6th march 2009 that a 30% reduction is currently required to achieve a sale in putney. this is a 30% less than peak (july-august) 2007 price.

source: http://www.putneysw15.com/default.asp?sect...ault.asp?site=3

it is difficult to suggest a set discount to asking price as asking prices vary greatly between dreamers who are testing the market or those in denial thinking that although prices across the country are falling their house/street has held up and those who have to or want to sell and have priced their properties accordingly.

although tim warren is an estate agent (yes, much disliked on this forum) he has consistently and periodically provided honest and useful information on both the property snake and putneysw15 websites. he knows what he is talking about and is very highly respected as an agent in putney.

please note for the record that i do not work for tim warren. i am not related to tim warren. i have neither met nor spoken to tim warren. approximately 2 years ago i asked on the local putneysw15 discussion forum whether people thought property prices would fall in putney (as i did) and by how much, tim warren responded and since then has been periodically providing the site/forum with regular updates.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
thats nice to know as thats my part of the world!

I though the assumption things were still heading southwards and would 30% provide any protection for the buyer

your assumption is right and i think prices are set to continue their fall.

buying 30% below peak means you are buying at current market value, it does not guarantee against further price falls which are in my opinion inevitable.

HOLA4412

The average on successful sales is around 10%, to the point where you might as well knock that much off of the asking price from the word go.

20-30% is achievable, but you'll have to take a blitz approach with lots of offers on lots of different places until one bites.

Edited by DementedTuna

HOLA4413