Just Checked My Pension

camem'

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
Advisor said not to switch funds now as I'd be consolidating losses. :(

On the bright side, I'm not old yet ;)

one aspect not discussed on here in much detail of late although we've touched on the subject often. Yep all the FTSE gains over past five years now wiped out, and that's before taking inflation into consideration. Markets historically take a long time to recover, iirc a 'rule of thumb' is it'll take 15 years of steady gains to balance out five years of losses and put pensions back on track (if pension fund is mainly geared towards the top 250 UK companies) So tha'ts that fukced then. :(

HOLA445

I moved my pension in october 2007 to a 'deposit' account, and out of any exposure to stocks and shares. Not megabucks - I now have 18 months of contributions in total - pushing £10K now. Just adding that for context rather than to gloat, but I am wondering at what point to think about transferring back to a shares-based fund. Maybe at 3500 on the FTSE? Any suggestions when it might bottom out? I might consider taking advantage of the 'shares portion' of my ISA allowance at the same point.

Edited by ftbinthewaiting

HOLA446
HOLA447
I moved my pension in october 2007 to a 'deposit' account, and out of any exposure to stocks and shares. Not megabucks - I now have 18 months of contributions in total - pushing £10K now. Just adding that for context rather than to gloat, but I am wondering at what point to think about transferring back to a shares-based fund. Maybe at 3500 on the FTSE? Any suggestions when it might bottom out? I might consider taking advantage of the 'shares portion' of my ISA allowance at the same point.

I think it could go either side of 3000 by late 2010 early 2011.

HOLA448
HOLA449
Look on the bright side - someone sold their shares which your fund bought, so technically no money has actually been lost it's just been transferred to a lucky individual who is able to live a comfortable lifestyle using your money.

Oh good. I suppose that means I can feel all smug for not creating my hard earned dosh out of thin air.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

historically, the bottom of a crash for socks ends up being when average p/e's are down to about 7-8.

honestly, there is no reason to think that stocks are going up any time soon, and they really have a good ways that they could still fall.

I wouldn't be in that big of a rush to tie my savings up in them.

you are much better off buying in on the upswing than trying to time the bottom and buying in on the downswing.

and for those that say just to keep buying since now they are so cheap, as the previous poster said, recoveries take years (10-20)

to buy a bunch of stocks now that stay flat or go down for the next 10 years ends up costing you so much in inflationary or real loss that it doesn't make up for the cheap price you got them for.

Edited by Mr Nice

HOLA4413
historically, the bottom of a crash for socks ends up being when average p/e's are down to about 7-8.

honestly, there is no reason to think that stocks are going up any time soon, and they really have a good ways that they could still fall.

I wouldn't be in that big of a rush to tie my savings up in them.

you are much better off buying in on the upswing than trying to time the bottom and buying in on the downswing.

and for those that say just to keep buying since now they are so cheap, as the previous poster said, recoveries take years (10-20)

to buy a bunch of stocks now that stay flat or go down for the next 10 years ends up costing you so much in inflationary or real loss that it doesn't make up for the cheap price you got them for.

thanks for the advice ... I think I'll stick to my cash ISAa, savings interest, and fixed deposit pension. Low risk - except for high inflation / currency collapse :P

Edited by ftbinthewaiting

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
Guest vicmac64
Advisor said not to switch funds now as I'd be consolidating losses. :(

On the bright side, I'm not old yet ;)

convert to cash? for a spell - I reckon the markets have only started going down - will end up where our economy is going - perhaps another 60% to fall from where they stand today. Nothing will save main street now.

HOLA4416
keep putting money in while it's low - the time to buy is when everyone else is selling, especially if you have years let to put money in - and don't forget you are getting up to 40% tax free

everyone will be selling for the next few years. After the 1929 crash, the market continued to lose, as a whole, around 90% from peak over the next 3 years. This is worse than the thirties, IMHO

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
:lol::lol:

You pay into a pension?

Are you all dumb?

When a colleague found out I do not pay into a scheme she cancelled hers soon after.

Spoke to her this evening, she was very grateful.

My employer doubles my contribution - and its tax free. So I pay £200, tax free - cost to me about £120 - and get £600 per month in my pot. Damn right I pay into a pension!!!!

HOLA4420
:lol::lol:

You pay into a pension?

Are you all dumb?

When a colleague found out I do not pay into a scheme she cancelled hers soon after.

Spoke to her this evening, she was very grateful.

Anyone under 50 putting money into a pension it simply pouring money down the drain. Did I say 50? I meant 60.

HOLA4421
Anyone under 50 putting money into a pension it simply pouring money down the drain. Did I say 50? I meant 60.

Well said. What a massive con they are. The truth is everyone will have to work till they die or are incapable, just like in most of human history except the last 50 or so years. But that's probably not what most people want to hear.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
Well said. What a massive con they are. The truth is everyone will have to work till they die or are incapable, just like in most of human history except the last 50 or so years. But that's probably not what most people want to hear.

Self-fulfilling prophecy?? I'd rather take a punt on providing for my future too - whilst I'm fit and able!

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Was about time someone noticed that our pensions were being hit to buy the banks out.

Hedge funds can not short as they did and thats only half the story.

one aspect not discussed on here in much detail of late although we've touched on the subject often. Yep all the FTSE gains over past five years now wiped out, and that's before taking inflation into consideration. Markets historically take a long time to recover, iirc a 'rule of thumb' is it'll take 15 years of steady gains to balance out five years of losses and put pensions back on track (if pension fund is mainly geared towards the top 250 UK companies) So tha'ts that fukced then. :(

Not if you work in the public sector as remember last time they demanded we tax payers made good their pensions.