House Price Crash Forum

Gropecunt Lane

Cogs

HOLA441

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threadneedle_Street

Threadneedle Street is a road in the City of London, leading from an intersection with Poultry, Cornhill, King William Street and Lombard Street, to Bishopsgate. The name of the street is presumably a euphemism for its former name, Gropecunt Lane "called for the simple reason that it was a famous haunt of prostitutes."

Is there any truth in this or is someone being naughty?

king460x276.jpg

Edit: Mods, I think this should be in Off-Topic, as per Timm's suggestion. Just got carried away with the thrill of being able to use obscene language in a justifiable manner.

HOLA442

Why do you think they talk about Ye Old Lady of Threadneedle Street?

And wait till Oracle gets here, then things will get interesting...

PS. OT?

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
:lol::lol::lol:

I think "Thredneedle" is so named because of this:

Matthew 19:24

"And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God."

Possible explanation of the above:

"Zondervan's Pictorial Bible Dictionary" has a picture of a large city gate with a small door in it about four feet high and makes the following claim in the caption: "The Jaffa Gate in the wall of Jerusalem, showing the 'Needle's Eye.' Small doors such as this were common features of the gates of ancient cities; humans could pass through fairly easily, but large animals, such as camels, had to be unloaded and then had to kneel to get through, even then with difficulty."

HOLA446
HOLA447

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gropecunt_Lane

Gropecunt Lane (pronounced /ˈɡroʊpkʌnt ˈleɪn/) was a street name found in English towns and cities during the Middle Ages, believed to be a reference to the prostitution centred on those areas; it was normal practice for a medieval street name to reflect the street's function or the economic activity taking place within it. Gropecunt, the earliest known use of which is in about 1230, appears to have been derived as a compound of the words grope and ****.[1] Streets with that name were often in the busiest parts of medieval towns and cities, and at least one appears to have been an important thoroughfare.

Although the name was once common throughout England,[2] changes in attitude resulted in its being replaced by more innocuous versions such as Grape Lane. Gropecunt was last recorded as a street name in 1561.

Under its entry for the word ****, the Oxford English Dictionary reports that a street was listed as Gropecuntlane in about 1230, the first appearance of that name.[5] Organised prostitution was well established in London by the middle of the 12th century, initially mainly confined to Southwark in the southeast, but later spreading to other areas such as Smithfield, Shoreditch, Clerkenwell, and Westminster.

HOLA448
HOLA449

"Zondervan's Pictorial Bible Dictionary" has a picture of a large city gate with a small door in it about four feet high and makes the following claim in the caption: "The Jaffa Gate in the wall of Jerusalem, showing the 'Needle's Eye.' Small doors such as this were common features of the gates of ancient cities; humans could pass through fairly easily, but large animals, such as camels, had to be unloaded and then had to kneel to get through, even then with difficulty."

Yes, this is a myth that has been constructed by the rich to explain how they can be Christians and yet ignore one of the most clear statements made by Jesus Christ. By finding a 'needles eye' they could simply walk through they can pretend that besides being rich bastards they are still heaven bound.

Thats the problem with old Jesus... people will keep interpreting him, luckily actions speak louder than words and its pretty obvious what he thought about bankers thanks to him tossing over the tables of the money lenders. (Yes I did mean to write that).

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threadneedle_Street

Is there any truth in this or is someone being naughty?

king460x276.jpg

Edit: Mods, I think this should be in Off-Topic, as per Timm's suggestion. Just got carried away with the thrill of being able to use obscene language in a justifiable manner.

Hmm all that seems to have happened is that instead of women prostituting themselves out for money, we now have men prostituting themselves out for money.

So I propose that in these politically correct times, the name be changed to moneywhore lane. Thus being non-discriminatory against women, but still revealing the true purpose of the street.

HOLA4413

MOP you legend what's that all about!! :D

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
Guest KingCharles1st

I have heard that come the revolution, Downing Street is going to be renamed "Hangthecunt Lane."

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Guest anorthosite
Slutshole Lane is my favourite local street name (Grouts Thoroughfare being a close 2nd...) Presumably a similar reason as to Gropecunt lane.

Sounds like Slutshole Lane could be my favourite local street. ;)

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Archived