House Price Crash Forum

Negative Mental Attitude

HOLA441

And theres me thinking I'm turning into a grumpy old man before my time!

It IS true. People are more angry today. More agressive. Less caring. Insular. Frightend. Depressed. Repressed.

When we went through the last crash it felt like a great equaliser. Everyone was back in the same boat. Everyone was broke. It seemed that once we all got over the great shock of it all, it somehow brought us together. If you had a job you were lucky, if you didnt, you werent a social outcast derided on forums as a scrounger or chav you were just unemployed nothing more, no secret agenda, not a sponger, just without a job.

Your job didnt say as much about you as it obviously does today.

Jobs are good, they give you money to enjoy yourself. Today it seems to be the job should be your enjoyment.

If you had a car that was great - it didnt matter if it was a fifty quid banger, YOU HAD TRANSPORT!

Now its got to be a merc or beemer....why?

The times I spent spankered out of my head in the Hacienda will live with me forever! - good music, commeraderie, renting and very few worries I must admit.

Whats to worry about when its already gone t*ts up?

Will this group of loutish, brawling, ignorant, offensive, angry, drunken yobs say the same in twenty years?

methinks not.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Good old Adam Smith (neat find BTW Brainclamp); he knew more over 200 years ago than all of those chumps in government now.

Adam Smith didn't just invent that phrase either. He looked over thousands of years of history in many different countries as part of his work.

He saw many examples of the backwardness of societies which operated like this.

Within just 10 years on becoming reliant on a propertyless underclass, society is noticeably changed for the worse. It becomes more regulated and socailly divided as the productive economy collapses and stagnates.

As people lose real incentives, everything from risktaking to creative invention disappear. Its fact, not just philosphosy.

HOLA443
As others have said, the solution is to give Bliar the finger and move abroad.

Many like myself are doing just that and I must say it’s been even better than I anticipated.

The UK is a great place if you want to sign on the dole or have a crap jobs that gets wage top up via tax credits but for anyone trying to pull ahead, it’s too late as the parasites and lawyers have colonised every inch of our society and swell their numbers by letting, foreign supports flood in.

HOLA444
HOLA445

I've been self employed for the last ten years or so, but for the last four or five years, the incentives of being self sufficient have been gradually eroded by tax hikes (by whatever methods) by Tony Blair and his associates.

I USED to work 60+ hours a week in order to provide for my family and future, but I found that I had to work harder and harder each year in order to pay ever increasing tax demands. 'Twas like being on an everlasting treadmill.

Not anymore, though.

Seems pointless.................

Why flog your n~ts off, pay for all of those 'kin dole spongers, non-domicile tax dodging residents whose families still reside in Blighty, non essential civil servants, non-just wars, crap services, etc; etc; etc..................

I now 'do' a standard 45 hour week, keep my tax liability to a sensible amount.... and B@)(ocks to the economy.

Rant over.

B.B.

HOLA446

The advice given to me by a friend who runs a diversified business (nightclubs, laundromats, taxis, a few buses, a home delivered shopping service and also generates a small amount of electricity for the grid) was pretty simple. Keep people happy. Customers and staff are the same - be as reasonable as possible and keep them happy.

Seems to have a good working relationship with staff. Actually working in the business and having a very strict split of boss / worker for themself seems to help a lot. What she sees as a "worker" doesn't get back to her "boss" side and this is strictly complied with. To the point that it's not unknown for staff to ask her (as a worker) to "cover" for them when they want to leave early and don't want the boss to know. A bit unusual but seems to work and staff have returned the favours whenever there's been some sort of crisis. That said, you do have to work in order to get paid - genuine slackers don't last long. Productivity is high and so is the pay - about double the industry standard (more for those who are any good). All fairly happy it seems. Needless to say staff turnover is fairly low.

Not a bad approach IMO but can't see too many other bosses doing it. Too much thinking inside the box.