House Price Crash Forum

The Good, The Bad And The Downright Nasty!

Topher Bear

HOLA441

The landlady said in no uncertain terms that they would keep this deposit if I pulled out

They sound like a bunch of !!

but regarding the quote, you should have told the landlady in no uncertain terms that you would sue them if they tried to do this.

Why do people stand for this crap?

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA442

There are quite a few of these sites and you can even do reviews of agents on Google. When you search for agents in your area a Google Maps list usually comes up at the top and you can add reviews there.

Usually when I find one of these sites I e-mail my clients to ask if they will give me a review or testimonial. Problem is unless you have done an extremely great job for them they will not bother to go through a registering process to add a review.

I know full well some agents have added their own reviews. One agent near me has bad reviews all over the internet. After a while they must have paid somebody to do SEO work for their website to move it up the Google rankings and that person must have seen all the reviews. Has I do all my own SEO work I keep an eye on rival sites that are moving up the listings and noticed a few positive reviews flooding the sites to combat the negative ones.

They were all the same reviews copied and pasted.

Problem for them is they have had that many poor reviews it will take dozens of reviews, e-mail addresses and IP's to bring them up to a zero rating.

Regarding different IP's. Anybody with a little knowledge can hide or mask their IP address, so it is very easy to avoid this problem and use the same computer with different e-mail addresses to avoid detection.

Having said that I do think it is a good idea and can be a handy resource for people. I would advise people to use these sites to find negative reviews for a search of a good agent rather than using it to find the best rated agent. Ok a problem may arise where agents start to post negative reviews of their competition.

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA443

I posted on this all agents website a few years back

.I came across it when we had an ongoing court battle with an agent who has sold our contract onto another agent and then robbed an old lady from the church of 100k and driven off into the sunset. :o

Sounds unbelievable but it did happen. They are out there and i for one see no reason why there shouldn't be a website advising people about the rogues. I don't believe all agents are like that but it has made me aware after my experience.

So if anyone comes across a guy calling himself Martin Bristow stear well clear. He was involved in letting and sales working from Downham Market in Norfolk,( he also uses many alias's.) Takes the rent money then doesn't pay the landlord.

Lots of people i am sure would love to catch up with this guy, so if anyone has seen him lately please speak up.

So what would you look for when choosing an estate agent or letting agent?

• 2 months later...
HOLA444
  • 5 months later...
HOLA445
  • 6 months later...
HOLA446

Premier Places letting agents in Worcester are absolutely appalling.

The lenient sentences handed down last week to the owner of a fraudulent Worcester based letting agency and his accountant has been described as a “kick in the teeth” for tenants and professional letting agents in the private rented sector.

Steve Harriott, the Chief Executive of the Tenancy Deposit Scheme, TDS, was commenting on the suspended jail terms given to Brandon Weston and David Williams of lettings firm Premier Places, which traded in both Worcester and Redditch. They were sentenced following conviction for defrauding clients of deposit money despite claiming to hold it in ring-fenced client accounts.

Amounts defrauded from tenants ranged from £400 to over £1,000 in some cases. The Tenancy Deposit Scheme paid out over £63,000 to tenants as a result of this case. “Not only were their actions fraudulent they served to undermine the excellent work of properly self-regulated agents,” said Steve Harriott.

Mr Harriott said it was shocking that stealing deposits and making false claims to the accreditation bodies for the lettings industry should result in only a few hours community service. “Criminals like this should go to jail, not have their sentences suspended. They have defrauded private individuals and brought disrepute to the private rented sector”.

“The law requires deposits to be protected through authorised tenancy deposit schemes and this case highlights once again the need for regulation of the private rented sector and for the courts to take these frauds and the protection of consumers more seriously,” he added.

• 5 months later...
HOLA447
  • 3 months later...
HOLA448

The worst lettings agency in the east of England must be an estate agent in Ely! We had to supply line manager testimonials from my manager, and their boss about my abilities to pay rent, and commit to my responsibilities. Ive been in this property for five weeks now, and they want to come and do a "6 week routine inspection" of the property to see if there are any faults! In the last five weeks. I have contacted them about things that have needed fixing that were broken before I moved in. I had no hot water in the shower for the first week.

These people wanted so much paperwork completed before I moved in, but can't even get off their backsides and use courteous tones in their correspondence with their customers. They even have even disregarded professional courtesy by carbon copying their response in an email to me, to a member of my family!

HOLA449

The worst lettings agency in the east of England must be an estate agent in Ely! We had to supply line manager testimonials from my manager, and their boss about my abilities to pay rent, and commit to my responsibilities. Ive been in this property for five weeks now, and they want to come and do a "6 week routine inspection" of the property to see if there are any faults! In the last five weeks. I have contacted them about things that have needed fixing that were broken before I moved in. I had no hot water in the shower for the first week.

These people wanted so much paperwork completed before I moved in, but can't even get off their backsides and use courteous tones in their correspondence with their customers. They even have even disregarded professional courtesy by carbon copying their response in an email to me, to a member of my family!

And are in breach of the DPA