House Price Crash Forum

Watch What Fionnula Earley Thinks Of The Stamp Duty Bribe

crown

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

I thought she would at least say that at this stage anything was welcome to encourage some buyers back into the market. Rather she has her weary look and almost says 'why bother the Titanic is going down'

HOLA444

She has the demeanor of a broken woman. Imagine how you'd feel after publicly swimming against the tide, whilst privately knowing how grim house price prospects are.

I almost feel sorry for her. Almost. ;)

More generally, the public and media backlash against the SD tinkering plan, looks to effectively killed it at birth. It would be a desperate and obstinate Chancellor (ultimately Brown) that would press ahead now.

HOLA445
HOLA446
Another U-turn ahead, maybe?

A U-turn on a non announced policy - only Labour could manage such incompetence.

This has sown the seed now though of a stamp duty bribe. Now that the media has headlined this, FTB will be witting on their hands even more so.

When will Labour realise that everything they do has the opposite effect?

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Actually, probably not so much a U-turn, as a '3-point' turn in a street that's not wide enough, frantically crunching the gears and bumping into things, with a queue of impatient traffic forming.

so many u-turns now that nobody knows what is or is not policy or what is or was proposed policy. total mess.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
Some estate agents have told the BBC that purchasers are holding back till they know whether a stamp duty holiday will take effect.

purchasers :o ............ what purchasers ? Where are they ? Who are these purchasers that these EA's speak of ?

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
purchasers :o ............ what purchasers ? Where are they ? Who are these purchasers that these EA's speak of ?

They are mad dogs. But they are around. I met one last week. I almost fell off my chair as he explained the wisdom of his overpriced Brighton flat purchase.

I call him 'repo boy' now

HOLA4421
And in the meantime what little momentum was left in the housing market will completely collapse as anyone mad enough to want to buy anything puts off the decision until the government makes up its mind what it is doing.

As Flint showed last night on newsnight - the goverment is a shambles on this stamp duty - If Fionnuala does not like it then what next?

HOLA4422
only Labour could manage such incompetence.

Not quite.

Remember Nigel Lawson abolishing double MIRAS - and giving several months notice of the new system coming in?

Result - monster HPI as everyone dived in to beat the cut-off. Followed the next year by a crash!

Labour don't have the monopoly on incompetence.

HOLA4423
Not quite.

Remember Nigel Lawson abolishing double MIRAS - and giving several months notice of the new system coming in?

Result - monster HPI as everyone dived in to beat the cut-off. Followed the next year by a crash!

Labour don't have the monopoly on incompetence.

I agree that although Labour appear to have a monopoly on incompetents at the moment, there have been plenty of other incompetent actions by politicians.

I would disagree about Lawson's actions though. Although they were proved incompetent in hindsight, they were deliberate at the time. In the same way that Lamont's stamp duty holiday did more harm than good in 1992. But these actions were all decisive and deliberate although incompetent.

Labour's actions have been indecisive, unwanted, leaked and incompetent.

Lawson's biggest crime was to ignore money supply surging massively leading to high inflation and high interest rates.