House Price Crash Forum

Ftse Banks & Builders

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
Yes. The global economic situation is all better now.

Buy buy buy!

Damn - missed the boat again!

I wonder have I left it too late to put in an offer on 5 inner-city 'luxury apartments'? Maybe if I offer 10% over asking they'll let me have them :lol:

HOLA444
Guest Shedfish

the absence of apocalyptic news is now interpreted as excellent news. JPM didn't fail by as much as analysts expected, and no banks went bang today. George Bush has kept quiet, and they built a bunch of new flats in NY.

tomorrow (after B&B EGM, HBOS rights issue) is another day

HOLA445
HOLA446

Expect days like that during a bear trend. Stocks going down 10% in a week and then 1 or 2 violent 1-day increases. They are just desperate to find some optimistic news but unfortunately the underlying facts do not disappear and can only be temporarly hidden. Whatever they remove from the balance sheets will have to emerge at some point in the future guys!

HOLA447
the absence of apocalyptic news is now interpreted as excellent news. JPM didn't fail by as much as analysts expected, and no banks went bang today. George Bush has kept quiet, and they built a bunch of new flats in NY.

tomorrow (after B&B EGM, HBOS rights issue) is another day

Ah, that explains it! :lol:

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
Guest Shedfish
When do we expect news about HBOS' issue?

i think the news will be tomorrow... the truth could take a couple of years

HOLA4413
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

Last week I didn't get a shag at all. This week I had a go on a big lass. Am I up?

HOLA4414
I would certainly wager that FTSE hits 6000 before it ever hits 4000, to be honest I don't think it will ever hit 4000 again.

Nah...sorry, cannot agree with that one. (Well, we may touch 6000 again in a bulltrap (oh please, oh please, oh please) before the rush to 4000). Look how the FTSE dropped after the tech bust etc...and we are in a much worse state this time.

HOLA4415
Nah...sorry, cannot agree with that one. (Well, we may touch 6000 again in a bulltrap (oh please, oh please, oh please) before the rush to 4000). Look how the FTSE dropped after the tech bust etc...and we are in a much worse state this time.

2 days of relief buying after 8 weeks of selling off and everyone's got the party poppers out. :rolleyes:

Give it a week and see where we are then. I reckon it won't get past 1270 on the S&P; 11,750 on the DOW or much the 5,400-5,600 region on the FTSE before we head off lower.

HOLA4416
I would certainly wager that FTSE hits 6000 before it ever hits 4000, to be honest I don't think it will ever hit 4000 again.

Do you know it's funny, and I am not denigrating your comment Fortune, but I can only picture you saying this in a voice like the old removal man in October who when I told him we were renting cos prices were going to come down, say in a think London accent "I can't see prices comin' dahn".

Personally I hope they do go back up a fair way, cos my father didn't heed my warnings and he needs to move some money out of his shares bond and into NS&I RPI 3 yr bonds. :)

Ed for splling

Edited by bobthe~

HOLA4417
2 days of relief buying after 8 weeks of selling off and everyone's got the party poppers out. :rolleyes:

Give it a week and see where we are then. I reckon it won't get past 1270 on the S&P; 11,750 on the DOW or much the 5,400-5,600 region on the FTSE before we head off lower.

I concur. I suspect 11600 as tops. 50% retrace of the fall from May 19 would be 12000 more or less spot on though. Depends really on what rubbish comes out between now and then I suppose. I'm still amazed how absolutely atrocious news can be seen to be positive when the indices really haven't fallen that much (considering). Yes, JP Morgan only lost 5 trillion, instead of the predicted 5.01 trillion...buy, buy, buy!

HOLA4418
I concur. I suspect 11600 as tops. 50% retrace of the fall from May 19 would be 12000 more or less spot on though. Depends really on what rubbish comes out between now and then I suppose. I'm still amazed how absolutely atrocious news can be seen to be positive when the indices really haven't fallen that much (considering). Yes, JP Morgan only lost 5 trillion, instead of the predicted 5.01 trillion...buy, buy, buy!

Ok I'll give you an intra-day spike up to 12,000 then ;):P

HOLA4419

builders is easy, Caroline Flintstone announced a bailout for them to churn out product until the end of time, or at least finish off what's in the pipeline... as for banks, well that's you and me both Fred, they're just massively oversold it's as obvious as well Fannie and Freddie collapsing, although they've now rallied today for a while, then slipped back a bit....but do we feel lucky....(enough)? :unsure:

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
How did the earnings compare then to now?

I must admit that my comparison of the tech bust to now is comparing apples and oranges. In the end it comes down to how things unwind. Current reported earnings, outside of builders etc. are only beginning to show the depth of the trouble as they look backwards. Tech stocks affected people's pensions, savings, some jobs etc. but interest rates had room to be lowered to kick off a boom. This one is about credit contraction, and about assets that a large portion of the population hold and have a feeling for. Economic confidence of the average punter is likely to be affected much more strongly than the tech bust. If you look at stock charts of the 1929-1933 bust you see that it took years for the US markets to take off all the froth in a series of steps. I suspect that the same will happen here.

I have been surprised by the strength and rapidity of the recovery of some of the builders this week (and got burnt on a couple of shorts too.) Persimmon up 70%!

I also owe you a response concerning numerology and prices in the market. Will get onto that in the next week or so when I have time (have been moving house this past week).

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4424

Well, it looks like I wasn't far out. Seems Dow topped at 11650 on this rise (which also fits my numerology and the markets observations Noel...I do promise to get back to you on that one when I get the time). Can't recall how accurate the points from which I calculated 11600 - I recall it was rough at the time. I find it all a bit scary as there is no "logic" behind this Fibonacci stuff in my opinion.

HOLA4425
Well, it looks like I wasn't far out. Seems Dow topped at 11650 on this rise (which also fits my numerology and the markets observations Noel...I do promise to get back to you on that one when I get the time). Can't recall how accurate the points from which I calculated 11600 - I recall it was rough at the time. I find it all a bit scary as there is no "logic" behind this Fibonacci stuff in my opinion.

"I find it all a bit scary as there is no "logic" behind this Fibonacci stuff in my opinion."

Exactly. It's a load of hot throbbing horse sh!t