• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
Am I missing something here? Why is it rational to find someone else's misfortune amusing when you know nothing about them?

But I do know something about them. I know they invested in stocks and shares and didn't expect them to go down.

HOLA445
Look...

I have spent many years on BTL websites, arguing with people there. Some of those that I was talking to will undoubtedly be ruined financially. Is that something desirable? No. Is it amusing? No.

could be, but its the way they tell em that counts.

for example, did you hear the one about the BTLr who lost all in the housing market?..... punch line

or, there was a sad story about a man lost everything through poor investment advice..... ah sad

HOLA446
HOLA447
2. I frequently end up clipping people with the handlebars on my bike........

============================================================================

Hilarious! How frequently? Every day? Sounds like your reactions and bicycle skills aren't what they might be. Do you wobble a lot? Have you thought about some little stabilisers? Definately a retard but thanks for the entertainment.

No, this happens to me all the time, and I'm a seriously experienced and skilled cyclist. People a) dont seem to realise that a bike can easily be doing 20-30 mph and b ) dont seem to think that 85 kilos of me plus another 10-20 kilos of sharp, pointy metal bike bits hitting them at this speed is going to hurt. I've no idea why they think this, beyond the obvious, and oft stated on here, 'most people are too stupid to find their own a-holes without help.' But there you go.

HOLA448
It seems very wild-west to me... it rhymes with the sort of stories that remain from early western financial institutions (banks; stock markets - etc.)

Funny you should say that. The Venetians and Catalans took dodgy bankers and brokers very seriously indeed:

In Venice a guarantee of 3,000 lire was required in 1270 before a moneychanger banker was allowed to set up in business. In Barcelona, from 1300, book entries by credit transfer legally ranked equally with original deposits among the liabilities of bankers. Those who failed were foirbidden ever to keep a bank again, and were to be detained on bread and water until all their account holders were satisfied in full. In 1321 the legislation there was greatly increased in severity. Bankers who failed and did not settle up in full within a year were to be beheaded and their property sold for the satisfaction of their account holders. This was actually enforced. Francesch Castello was beheaded in front of his bank in 1360.

In the light of all that's gone on lately, perhaps having such a sanction might have served to keep the Applegarths of this world in line. Do you think that sort of legislation might be introduced retrospectively, as with car tax? Could it possibly apply to (ex-) chancellors also?

Perhaps the Pakistanis have the right idea.

(from Peter Spufford, Power and Profit: The Merchant in Medieval Europe, London, Thames & Hudson, 2002 - a wonderful read, by the way)

HOLA449
Guest X-QUORK

EDM

You work in the financial sector I believe, a system that creates winners and losers. Is your level of distaste at JohnnyB's comments not just a little hypocritical?

Surely everyone in your sector goes into work knowing that they'll be royally screwing somebody that day?

HOLA4410
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
Let's just get this thread back on topic, shall we?

Where can I obtain one of these Donkeys?

Step this way, sir.

I have several very rare Velvet-Tongue Donkeys from Aberystwyth.

I also have one exquisite Rasp-Tongue from Aberaeron.

£300 each.

Optional custom built mouth speculae for £30,000

HOLA4411
Step this way, sir.

I have several very rare Velvet-Tongue Donkeys from Aberystwyth.

I also have one exquisite Rasp-Tongue from Aberaeron.

£300 each.

Optional custom built mouth speculae for £30,000

Why, they sound perfect! I had looked at the cheaper option of adopting one, but that's a little too Woody Allen for my tastes.

HOLA4412
Why, they sound perfect! I had looked at the cheaper option of adopting one, but that's a little too Woody Allen for my tastes.

Of course the 30k is just for the basic option mouth speculum, and just between you and me, they're having a problem with the design of the mechanism, apparently it can snap shut unexpectedly. Might I suggest the slightly more luxurious reliable version for the discerning gentleman at £60k?

HOLA4413
Of course the 30k is just for the basic option mouth speculum, and just between you and me, they're having a problem with the design of the mechanism, apparently it can snap shut unexpectedly. Might I suggest the slightly more luxurious reliable version for the discerning gentleman at £60k?

60K, you say? That would eat up most of my deposit.

HOLA4414
This is definitely the funniest story of the day.

There is going to be lots more of this. Many poor people in the developing world had pumped all their savings into stocks and shares, and they are angry. Frankly I think they should quit their moaning, it was their naive decision to invest in the first place.

Apparently the Chinese have built their own investment bubble.....

What will happen when the China bubble bursts

HOLA4415
EDM

You work in the financial sector I believe, a system that creates winners and losers. Is your level of distaste at JohnnyB's comments not just a little hypocritical?

Surely everyone in your sector goes into work knowing that they'll be royally screwing somebody that day?

There are crooks in the business, but none of the rest of us try to screw anyone.

As for winners and losers, they are not equal because it is not a zero-sum game, but yes there are winners and losers every day. But it isn't normally amusing if someone loses a load of money, and much less so if they are ruined. Fine, it was their fault and no one else's - but funny? No, not in the slightest.

HOLA4416
60K, you say? That would eat up most of my deposit.

May I respectfully suggest, sir, that without one, you may find your deposit eaten up rather more quickly.

HOLA4417
Am I missing something here? Why is it rational to find someone else's misfortune amusing when you know nothing about them?

I was alluding more to the way that the argument had been twisted into something totally different - ie. People losing money on the stockmarket somehow being compared to laughing at people in car accidents.

I have no sympathy whatsoever for people losing money on the stockmarket, just as I have never expected sympathy myself when I have lost money. If people believe markets are a one way bet and can only go up, then they are stupid. Rioting about it appears to prove the point. I find it amusing that people can be so stupid. So do some others. So what? This doesn't make us nazis.

As somebody else pointed out, this board has been laughing their collective t1ts off at BTLers being destroyed in a big way. I see little difference. Anybody stupid enough to buy a two bed brand new flat in August 2007 for £300k is so stupid that they cannot complain when they are laughed at by more sane people. In the same way, neither can people who think shares only go up.

Much of the thread appeared to me to be defending rioting/destruction of property. Now, I'm all in favour of a bit of argy bargy but only when it's justified. The markets moving against you does not justify violence in any way.

HOLA4418
There are crooks in the business, but none of the rest of us try to screw anyone.

As for winners and losers, they are not equal because it is not a zero-sum game, but yes there are winners and losers every day. But it isn't normally amusing if someone loses a load of money, and much less so if they are ruined. Fine, it was their fault and no one else's - but funny? No, not in the slightest.

You are Les Dawson and I claim my £5, or was it your £5.

Deadpan- the best of humours!

HOLA4419
By the way, have you never had an accident? Have you never made a mistake – ever? Are you perfect?

Have you noticed that's its generally clumsy people that ask this. :lol:

Stupid people are funny. Just spend 5 mins on Youtube if you want proof.

These twits happen to be Pakistan but it would be just as funny if they were, say failed Leeds flat / Florida condo flippers.

There's nothing wrong with laughing at people who are the architects of their own downfall.

Equally, its totally wrong to laugh at innocent victims. But they aren't, are they?

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Ah! So you admit that although not normally amusing, it can be amusing at times. This seems a reasonable compromise to me and would depend on who it happened to:

Yourself - not amusing.

Person who riots about it - amusing.

Labour voter - amusing in the extreme.

Cute girl - depends on the size of her t1ts.

HOLA4423

Would you lot bugger off this thread?

I'm trying to sell this respectable looking bloke a donkey.

HOLA4424
I have no sympathy whatsoever for people losing money on the stockmarket, just as I have never expected sympathy myself when I have lost money.

Absolutely, indeed, I am losing quite a bit of money, probably as we speak, on the stock market, but it was, at least, my hard-earned to lose, rather than something I'd borrowed of someone else (as would be the case for most 'property investors'). And I dont expect bailing out.

Q: What sort of idiot borrows enormously, to the value of their anticipated lifetime earnings, to make a speculative investment in the markets?

A: Only a BTLer would be this much of an idiot, and this is why we mock them so.....

HOLA4425
May I respectfully suggest, sir, that without one, you may find your deposit eaten up rather more quickly.

Then sir, we have a deal - I'll be round with a bankers draft in the morning.

Disclaimer for all other HPC Members

I have agreed to make this purchase only after taking the professional advice proffered by the good doctor, albeit that he is the very fellow who wishes to make the sale. Therefore, I do not expect to be derided by members of this otherwise respectable forum, should my donkey turn out to be worth less than I paid for it, on account of it having developed some freak genetic condition such as a nut allergy.

I thank you all in anticipation of your empathy.