House Price Crash Forum

No More Mortgages For Timber Frame Buildings

HOLA441
We have been building timber frame homes for 15 years now, and can confirm they are superior to your old fashioned cold damp brick built homes. With modern pressure treated timber, they will last hundreds of years. They are also vastly more efficient to heat, they cost less to erect, dont suffer from damp and are very very strong, can withstand 150mph winds with ease. The Norwegians have been ahead of the curve for many years.

We will all see their logic when heating costs begin to cripple those living cold old fashioned damp concrete boxes.

You new build freaks make me laugh....you even guarantee your doors for 10 years...whooo hooooo.

My fathers has lasted 45 years and told the local construction 'soontobebroke' wannabees to 'fook off' when they told him they'd replace his old doors with new ones with a 20 year guarantee.

New builds aren't worth the paper singed to exchange, and don't compare the garbage of today from proper timber framed housing.

As for heating...the holes in the doors/windows are not exactly good for ones health...and the scream when there's a wind.....my God..!!! God knows whta these sh**holes will be like in 5 years...!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

''Bloody great cracks'' are bad news in any building new or old. Having looked at quite a lot I am of the opinion that some new builds are of acceptable quality and some are not. Timber frame can work perfectly well when its done right but done poorly it is a recipe for disaster.

Cracks are an obsession with some people. I had a perfect example this morning, the most recent of hundreds. Punter with a perfectly sound first floor flat about 15 years old with half a dozen hairline plaster cracks. Cosmetic only, absolutely nothing to worry about. Man was convinced this was a real problem and not open to reason.

HOLA443
''Bloody great cracks'' are bad news in any building new or old. Having looked at quite a lot I am of the opinion that some new builds are of acceptable quality and some are not. Timber frame can work perfectly well when its done right but done poorly it is a recipe for disaster.

Cracks are an obsession with some people. I had a perfect example this morning, the most recent of hundreds. Punter with a perfectly sound first floor flat about 15 years old with half a dozen hairline plaster cracks. Cosmetic only, absolutely nothing to worry about. Man was convinced this was a real problem and not open to reason.

Agreed, and newbuilds, all of them are done VERY badly.

HOLA444

Rentboy's intelligent and considered comments lead me to ask: is there an 'ignore user' function on this forum?

Edit: there is, and I have just used it for the first time on any forum I have ever used. Way to go, Rentboy.

Edited by Confiteor

HOLA445
We have been building timber frame homes for 15 years now, and can confirm they are superior to your old fashioned cold damp brick built homes. With modern pressure treated timber, they will last hundreds of years. They are also vastly more efficient to heat, they cost less to erect, dont suffer from damp and are very very strong, can withstand 150mph winds with ease. The Norwegians have been ahead of the curve for many years.

We will all see their logic when heating costs begin to cripple those living cold old fashioned damp concrete boxes.

And they are a heap load cheaper too.

The first thing every 1st year carpentry apprentice learns in australia is how to build a timber frame. Its just not that tough. Basically I don't know why anyone wants a brick build. I just yearn for timber. Its one of the things I really miss from home.

HOLA446

When I was a kid I used to stay regularly in a timber framed house that has been standing for the best part of four hundred years, not only that but the rest of it was mud, sticks and cowshit.

Though I will grant you that it was an oak frame, and if you've ever tried to work with a bit of that after it's been lying around for a good few years you'll know it gets more and more like concrete as time passes.

HOLA447
You new build freaks make me laugh....you even guarantee your doors for 10 years...whooo hooooo.

My fathers has lasted 45 years and told the local construction 'soontobebroke' wannabees to 'fook off' when they told him they'd replace his old doors with new ones with a 20 year guarantee.

New builds aren't worth the paper singed to exchange, and don't compare the garbage of today from proper timber framed housing.

As for heating...the holes in the doors/windows are not exactly good for ones health...and the scream when there's a wind.....my God..!!! God knows whta these sh**holes will be like in 5 years...!

Ive never seen any cracks appear in the quality end of timber homes that we build, not even one in 15 years. Cracks normally appear due to settlement which is due to inadequate foundations, or by poor structural design. These are all detached houses I build, high quality, not the same as the typical chepo cowboy built apartments/flats/semis you see scattered around England.

HOLA448
HOLA449
Think your wrong on Scotland here in Dundee 95+ % are timber frame. builders like glendale, stuart milne, miller homes, all building large estates all timber frames, infact only non timber seen of late was 1 off self build.

Hi Dundee ,

According to the UKTFA it's 55% at the moment .

In Scotland, Timber Frame accounts for 55% of new housing starts and is making gains elsewhere in the UK.

UKTFA

Not sure how old the quote is but I'm sure I've seen figures of 60%-65% for Scotland , and rising I might add.

STBC of course as you are in Scotland and I'm in Glos' :)

In fact I was having a chat with a chippy at T-break today about what a crap system timberframe is , although having recently seen a thin joint block system used recently ,I think thats just as bad.

Never seen so many stress cracks in one building :lol:

Dames

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
I don't beleive this story at all. Timber framed houses last for hundreds of years and are superior in many respects to so called wet built traditional ( I actually live in one of these but lived in a timber frame for 15 years).

My dad, whos a builder was saying they dont stand up to abuse, flooding and whatnot very well at all though. I dont like the feeling inside them. Noisey and kind of flimsy feeling. As far as I can tell the only real advantage they have is they are cheap and quick to put up for the builders. They feel like it to. Would not have one myself at any price.

Edited by gordonbrown

HOLA4412
I don't beleive this story at all. Timber framed houses last for hundreds of years and are superior in many respects to so called wet built traditional ( I actually live in one of these but lived in a timber frame for 15 years).

No mortgages in America then!!! Or Australia for that matter.

Is that Barratts builds of 200 day lifespan.