House Price Crash Forum

Kingston Upon Thames

HOLA441

I think that the 'river roads' moniker is something applied by Estate Agents and that river access is not one of the main reasons these are popular.

They are about the only roads that are within a 5 minute walk of the station, 15 minutes of Kingston and close to the facilities of Maple Road without being blighted by the massive traffic noise and congestion that comes from Portsmouth Road and Maple Road itself. River access from the first couple of roads doesn't do any harm, but I don't think that it is a massive benefit.

Add in the fact that actual houses are a complete rarity in the centre of Surbiton, and it starts to explain the premium for The Mall, but not this house!

Roads like The Mall seem to be considered 'suburbia-lite' by incomers from London who might not be able to go the whole hog and live in the centre of Berrylands but can just about manage the downshift to Surbiton itself.

It is clear that this premium was not there for most of the 20th century. Originally, these roads were mainly grand houses with servants quarters etc with two roads of workers cottages. Clearly the area had gone downhill by the 1920's when The Mall was added because otherwise that would have been more grand houses rather than the same bland semis that they were building everywhere else.

Worse still in the 60s/70s when some of the grand houses became council bedsits and others were knocked down to build very cheap blocks of flats.

maybe the case but would you really sink 1 million quid into a house that looks like that :blink: would rather pay 10 quid a day for a taxi to the station and live a few miles away :lol:

live here and get a cab to richmond or walk to richmond down the river path 30 minute walk

crap location but ,the biggest flat i have seen for a long time , as big a proper detached house

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/35488773#qAD4yc1QwWmJAH0f.97

Edited by longgone

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442

maybe the case but would you really sink 1 million quid into a house that looks like that :blink: would rather pay 10 quid a day for a taxi to the station and live a few miles away :lol:

live here and get a cab to richmond or walk to richmond down the river path 30 minute walk

crap location but ,the biggest flat i have seen for a long time , as big a proper detached house

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/35488773#qAD4yc1QwWmJAH0f.97

That one is never £1m on Maple Road even in this market. I don't think most people think about values before splashing the cash. As you say £10 a day 5 days a week is only £2.5k a year which is tiny in the scheme of things, but all they see is that the more they put into a house, the more it will magically increase in value next year.

I can't understand the size of the premium paid for those roads. I'd pay a bit extra because I like the area and I hate traffic/buses/taxis, but nothing like the extra that is currently being asked/paid.

I'd pay more for one of these houses if actually on The Mall than I would the detached house in Hinchley Wood on the other thread, for example, even though I'd much prefer a detached to a semi.

HOLA443

That one is never £1m on Maple Road even in this market. I don't think most people think about values before splashing the cash. As you say £10 a day 5 days a week is only £2.5k a year which is tiny in the scheme of things, but all they see is that the more they put into a house, the more it will magically increase in value next year.

I can't understand the size of the premium paid for those roads. I'd pay a bit extra because I like the area and I hate traffic/buses/taxis, but nothing like the extra that is currently being asked/paid.

I'd pay more for one of these houses if actually on The Mall than I would the detached house in Hinchley Wood on the other thread, for example, even though I'd much prefer a detached to a semi.

the one in hinchley wood is near the a3 and there would be road noise , but then all of hinchley wood is quite noisy anyway as you have the bypass and manor road south /north running through it .

in 2009 you could pickup a 3 bed detached for 350k in some off the roads around there severn drive for one.

the one in surbiton will always be attractive for commuters , but not 1m attractive , if you don`t work in london there is no reason to live there at the money asked.

take this area , http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/35149833?search_identifier=43a6a13ba6d052df6d95008715bc7f23#XphY1gtDYE3O6rZ8.97

5 stops from hammersmth yet cheaper than surbiton for the same type of house , it`s quite leafy round there too and zone 3 and on the underground

picadilly line or central line

once 24hr tube trains are introduced , london will become smaller and living location wont be so much of an issue ,

Edited by longgone

HOLA444
HOLA445

the one in hinchley wood is near the a3 and there would be road noise , but then all of hinchley wood is quite noisy anyway as you have the bypass and manor road south /north running through it .

in 2009 you could pickup a 3 bed detached for 350k in some off the roads around there severn drive for one.

the one in surbiton will always be attractive for commuters , but not 1m attractive , if you don`t work in london there is no reason to live there at the money asked.

take this area , http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/35149833?search_identifier=43a6a13ba6d052df6d95008715bc7f23#XphY1gtDYE3O6rZ8.97

5 stops from hammersmth yet cheaper than surbiton for the same type of house , it`s quite leafy round there too and zone 3 and on the underground

picadilly line or central line

once 24hr tube trains are introduced , london will become smaller and living location wont be so much of an issue ,

I'm interested in your take on 24hr tubes. Do you think that if the weekend 24hr lines work out well , the whole network will follow 24/7 ? What about maintenance and upgrades - when will that be done ? Not that knowledgeable about the night time economy - is it that big now ?

HOLA446

I'm interested in your take on 24hr tubes. Do you think that if the weekend 24hr lines work out well , the whole network will follow 24/7 ? What about maintenance and upgrades - when will that be done ? Not that knowledgeable about the night time economy - is it that big now ?

no idea but try and get back to any where not on the tube network , like surbition/kingston which this thread is about

HOLA447

no idea but try and get back to any where not on the tube network , like surbition/kingston which this thread is about

So just to clarify are you expecting price falls in areas like Surbiton/Kingston due to the lack of tube access ? I'd have thought that the two housing markets (Acton and Surbiton/Kingston ) were completely different Not in the know about the thread area but find the thread interesting as it's a window into the minds of all prospective buyers in the London suburbs. Not trying to derail thread .

HOLA448

It's definitely transport that has driven the bubble here, and the transport isn't actually that good. The mentality of London buyers seems to be to look at the journey time and the number of trains an hour and nothing else. Obviously, Surbiton looks pretty good in that regard with up to 12 trains an hour and usually less than 20 minutes into Waterloo.

What is ignored by these buyers is that the frequency of the trains was designed at a time when Surbiton had probably half the commuting population it does now and the stations further out have more commuters as well. There is a interesting poster in Surbiton station which basically advises passengers to avoid around half the rush hour trains from Surbiton because they arrive there 'full & standing' and will be difficult to get on.

The capacity is at breaking point, and if one train is cancelled it can cause chaos. The fact that the franchise is run by South West Trains means that there is often more than one cancellation...

The tube would be a massive boon for Kingston/Surbiton just because it would remove the over-reliance on one provider. It would take too long to use it on a daily basis, but would provide a good alternative. I can't see it would ever happen.

24 hour tubes are less of an issue to me personally since the advent of Uber-type services. If I am out later than the last train at 1.05 (which isn't that often at my age!), Uber gets me back to Surbiton for £25.

I realise that this is a lot of money for people who want to stay out late in town a few times a week, but I am not sure that many people who live in Surbiton would do that!

HOLA449

So just to clarify are you expecting price falls in areas like Surbiton/Kingston due to the lack of tube access ? I'd have thought that the two housing markets (Acton and Surbiton/Kingston ) were completely different Not in the know about the thread area but find the thread interesting as it's a window into the minds of all prospective buyers in the London suburbs. Not trying to derail thread .

I am not sure if Acton and Surbiton/Kingston are completely different in buyer's minds. Both are suburban areas of London that have suffered massive price increases because of people that are priced out of areas closer to the centre. Acton is obviously a fair bit closer in to London, but as I mentioned above, I think that a lot of potential buyers are purely looking at the fact that the fast train to Surbiton is sub-20 minutes, so don't see it as quite so far out as it really is.

HOLA4410

the prices rises seen in kingston/surbiton have been ridiculous in the past couple of years , people paying 600-700k to live in tolworth under the umbrella of surbiton , historically these 700k houses would have been 275-325 in 2011 .

flippers have been sticking a kitchen diner on the back and a set of bi folds doors and suddenly 300k profit is produced .

take away the train service and no one would buy there , my point was though any younger buyer/renter would probably look to staying on the tube map rather than southwest trains service that will end at 1am as worried1 pointed out.

there are plenty of 500k 2 beds flats nearer to london on a tube station , so why does surbiton command these stupid prices ??

i used to travel from west acton to liverpool street and it took 30 mins end to end , any train stopping at waterloo you need to add another 20 mins just to change from train to tube

Edited by longgone

HOLA4411

I am not sure if Acton and Surbiton/Kingston are completely different in buyer's minds. Both are suburban areas of London that have suffered massive price increases because of people that are priced out of areas closer to the centre. Acton is obviously a fair bit closer in to London, but as I mentioned above, I think that a lot of potential buyers are purely looking at the fact that the fast train to Surbiton is sub-20 minutes, so don't see it as quite so far out as it really is.

Hadn't realised the train was so quick and frequent (even late ish evening ) to/from Waterloo . Most trains in my neck of woods (NE London) end up at Liverpool Street but they are local trains starting at places like Enfield Town/Chingford/Cheshunt and stopping every half mile or so, giving them travel times (but not frequency) similar to tubes. Btw they are all being transferred to London Overground in May.

Sorry once again for going abit off topic but needed to find out what is driving the HPI.

HOLA4412

Hadn't realised the train was so quick and frequent (even late ish evening ) to/from Waterloo . Most trains in my neck of woods (NE London) end up at Liverpool Street but they are local trains starting at places like Enfield Town/Chingford/Cheshunt and stopping every half mile or so, giving them travel times (but not frequency) similar to tubes. Btw they are all being transferred to London Overground in May.

Sorry once again for going abit off topic but needed to find out what is driving the HPI.

Yep, Surbiton is the opposite in that way. It is actually 10 miles away from Waterloo, and it is only the fact that it is a non-stop journey that makes it so quick to get in. Downside is that there is no alternative if SW Trains decide to take the day off as they have done for the past two days!

HOLA4413

Yep, Surbiton is the opposite in that way. It is actually 10 miles away from Waterloo, and it is only the fact that it is a non-stop journey that makes it so quick to get in. Downside is that there is no alternative if SW Trains decide to take the day off as they have done for the past two days!

indeed the down side for me is they want £12 for an off peak travel card now ,can`t believe boris would increases prices by 37%

some are non stop , most have 5-6 stops

Edited by longgone

HOLA4414

I personally love Surbiton for all of its conveniences (Proximity to River, Kingston and frequent 15 - 17 minutes trains to London Waterloo). It is obvious why this area is attracting a lot of interest from would be buyers and investors. I think Surbiton caters for many a lifestyle which is why i don't forsee a huge correction in this area as demand to live in such a good area will remain as many from inner London consider the benefits Surbiton has to offer. I could be wrong but hope i am not as i am looking at purchasing a flat in Surbiton if i can. Went to view a property the other day which had 14 viewings on its first day followed by 7 offers at asking price. Its scary and was enough to put me off making an offer.

HOLA4415

I personally love Surbiton for all of its conveniences (Proximity to River, Kingston and frequent 15 - 17 minutes trains to London Waterloo). It is obvious why this area is attracting a lot of interest from would be buyers and investors. I think Surbiton caters for many a lifestyle which is why i don't forsee a huge correction in this area as demand to live in such a good area will remain as many from inner London consider the benefits Surbiton has to offer. I could be wrong but hope i am not as i am looking at purchasing a flat in Surbiton if i can. Went to view a property the other day which had 14 viewings on its first day followed by 7 offers at asking price. Its scary and was enough to put me off making an offer.

care to share which one ?

that is not what i am seeing in this area

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I hear what you are saying. its crazy money. But the market dictates and at the moment Surbiton is perceived to be a good area to live in and as a whole it is in very high demand. I am not saying prices can keep going up, up and up at the same rate they have been, but i am not expecting to see substanital falls anytime shortly on decent properties located in the right part of town.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

yes taken into account similar properties in the area this is way over board. Won't be long though before these types of prices on 1 bed flats become the norm :huh:

lol

yeah right check out the 2011 price

cant see many people on 100k a year wanting to live in that, can you

you can live in chelsea for less , check out the june price last year , another joker

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/35560013?search_identifier=1bbf1c1ea83ac813ad14d662c3cd6f16#iG8ksRRIKBte4LZV.97

http://www.faronsutaria.co.uk/property/CSS110498

Edited by longgone

HOLA4422

indeed the down side for me is they want £12 for an off peak travel card now ,can`t believe boris would increases prices by 37%

some are non stop , most have 5-6 stops

Does Surbiton have National Rail or TFL pricing ? I take it there are oyster readers at Surbiton ?

HOLA4423

yes taken into account similar properties in the area this is way over board. Won't be long though before these types of prices on 1 bed flats become the norm :huh:

That is what worries me. Kew has always been a lot more expensive than Surbiton as it is a bit closer in to London and doesn't suffer from the same suburban reputation, but a few years ago you could see 1 bed flats for £350k in Kew and think 'surely it won't go that high in Surbiton...'

HOLA4424

Does Surbiton have National Rail or TFL pricing ? I take it there are oyster readers at Surbiton ?

TfL. Surbiton is the last station (on the mainline) inside zone 6.

There was quite an argument a couple of years ago when SWT 'normalised' the prices to bring all zone 6 stations in line so Oyster Pay-as-you-go could be used. Surbiton is a lot closer to London than a lot of other zone 6 stations so it caused massive price rises in the cost of daily tickets because (of course) they raised all of the prices up to the highest possible rather than meeting in the middle.

There is a constant argument to move it to zone 5, which is justified in distance alone, but I doubt it will ever happen because Surbiton is something like the 5th busiest commuter station in the country so too much revenue would be lost.

Annual season ticket without tube is up at £1,800 now, so certainly not cheap, but not bad value compared to some other places when the trains actually work.

HOLA4425

There is a constant argument to move it to zone 5, which is justified in distance alone, but I doubt it will ever happen because Surbiton is something like the 5th busiest commuter station in the country so too much revenue would be lost.

funny how they can pick and choose which stations go in which zone and exclude the locality completely , as usual all revenue based bunch of con men the lot of them