House Price Crash Forum

Edinburgh - New Record

HOLA441

ESPC now proudly boasts 9100 properties for sale in Edinburgh. The highest number I saw in 2007 was mid 6000's

So supply has increased by 25% plus while demand is constrained by mortgage availability.

I wonder what happens next.

www.espc.com

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
Guest Skint Academic
ESPC now proudly boasts 9100 properties for sale in Edinburgh. The highest number I saw in 2007 was mid 6000's

So supply has increased by 25% plus while demand is constrained by mortgage availability.

I wonder what happens next.

Ooh! Ooh! I know this one! Don't tell me ...

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
fixed price does that mean no sealed bids?thought scotland didnt really do fixed prices

I will copy my post from the Edinburgh forum:

ESPC had a total of 6400 on 15 Mar

ESPC had total of 8600 on 22 Apr.

ESPC had a total of 8825 on 29 Apr.

ESPC had a total of 9100 on 05 May.

That is up 275 in the last 4 working days !!!

70 ish PER DAY !!!

And yes Scotland don't do fixed prices. Unless you cant sell....

So at your estimate 40% of people cant sell. And this is at the busy time of year when all the action in Edinburgh takes place. When we get to August it is going to be immense. :rolleyes:

I have said for a long time Edinburgh will show YOY nominal falls in July. Unless they fudge the figures. But I doubt they will. It would catch up with them pretty quickly.

Edited by ccc

HOLA448

It must be the Spring Bounce.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

ESPC covers a large area. So for those with a more local interest, the Edinburgh for sales are as follows (excluding lockups etc).

4 Feb – 1560 total / 568 fixed

3 March – 1998 total/ 743 fixed

7 April – 2481 total / 1033 fixed

5 May – 3030 total/ 1432 fixed (47% fixed)

That’s by far the highest number I’ve ever seen.

Interesting that there’s a glut of rental property. About 1150 are listed for Edinburgh on www.lettingweb.com. 1060 were listed at the end of January.

Meanwhile there are hundreds of newbuild, grossly overpriced, 'luxury flats coming onto the market...

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
ESPC covers a large area. So for those with a more local interest, the Edinburgh for sales are as follows (excluding lockups etc).

That's by far the highest number I've ever seen.

Interesting that there's a glut of rental property. About 1150 are listed for Edinburgh on www.lettingweb.com. 1060 were listed at the end of January.

Meanwhile there are hundreds of newbuild, grossly overpriced, 'luxury flats coming onto the market...

Home.co.uk finds 4,125 properties for sale in Edinburgh city alone:

http://www.home.co.uk/search/results.htm?l...s=&radius=7

HOLA4413

That’s by far the highest number I’ve ever seen.

Interesting that there’s a glut of rental property. About 1150 are listed for Edinburgh on www.lettingweb.com. 1060 were listed at the end of January.

Interesting. So almost half of all people trying to sell a house in Edinburgh right now have been told by theor EA that fixed price is the only way. As for the 'luxury flats' I actually went down Granton to have a look today. Very interesting. I reckon not even a quarter of the total are built now. :o

So either one of the following 3 scenarios will happen:

(1) They build them all. MASSIVE oversupply = Prices collapse.

(2) They stop building now seeing as the bottom is falling out, leaving a half finished development slap bang in the middle of a huge incomplete building site = Prices collapse.

(3) They sell on many of them in some 'public housing' deal and rent them out as council houses = Prices collapse.

BTW I did a search on our property.co.uk and 4 of these flats (I imagine 1 bed) have gone for about 94k in the last 6 weeks :o

These are not advertised for anything less than about 130k. So what is going on there ? Mass sell off at any price ?

The fact that doesn't even interest me shows what I think will happen in this area. I reckon 1 beds will be going for 50k in a few years time.

HOLA4414
Everyone where i work is still believing Edinburgh is different and Scotland as a whole will be miraculously saved from the house price carnage. The scots are good with money you know :lol::lol:

Same here. A few are finally waking up - but very slowly.

I really think Edinburgh will get it bad. (Good for me ;) )

HOLA4415

BTW this is an example of what they are wanting £143k for in Granton. A not very nice area. 1 bed flat. Ground floor:

252095_a.jpg

50k within 5 years, if not 3.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
This joker's lowest asking price for a 1 bed flat is £350k. I do like the 3d models on the website – but the flat?

Put it underground and it could be Austria.

Another overpriced flat

This joker's lowest asking price for a 1 bed flat is £350k. I do like the 3d models on the website – but the flat?

Put it underground and it could be Austria.

Another overpriced flat

The flat loses it`s appeal after about fifteen seconds, it would be like living in the cafe at an art gallery or something. This is the kind of sh*te that people would have been tripping over each other to buy at the height of the boom, but now? I can`t see this stuff shifting now.They will have to do something about all the glass before they move the junkies in. The problem with "discreet and desirable" areas is that they stop being "discreet and desirable" after you build this kind of muck. Can you imagine sitting in your big pad in Ravelston and all you can see is a wall of glass and a bunch of Hollyoaks wannabes gawping at you.Some of these developers are going to lose out big time, they better hope big Gordo has money left for giros.

Edited by dances with sheeple

HOLA4419
As for the 'luxury flats' I actually went down Granton to have a look today. Very interesting. I reckon not even a quarter of the total are built now. :o

Yep; I think that so far they've only built a tiny fraction of the planned total. Altogether they're supposed to be building at least 16,000 houses on the Forth Riviera. Recently, however, the developers have started to change their minds as they've seen what way the market's headed: they're swerving away from the BTL hutch-ghetto concept and towards lovely family homes (link). If you go to the Scotsman website and search for "waterfront" you'll find all kinds of astonishing fantasies. It'll be interesting to see how it finally turns out.

HOLA4420
Guest An Bearin Bui
The flat loses it`s appeal after about fifteen seconds, it would be like living in the cafe at an art gallery or something. This is the kind of sh*te that people would have been tripping over each other to buy at the height of the boom, but now? I can`t see this stuff shifting now.They will have to do something about all the glass before they move the junkies in. The problem with "discreet and desirable" areas is that they stop being "discreet and desirable" after you build this kind of muck. Can you imagine sitting in your big pad in Ravelston and all you can see is a wall of glass and a bunch of Hollyoaks wannabes gawping at you.Some of these developers are going to lose out big time, they better hope big Gordo has money left for giros.

But it has an address with Ravelston in it... that adds at least 250k to the asking prices, don't you know - for me it's the Roman numerals that really add a touch of class, however.

In general the privilege of living in Edinburgh, the only city in the world that has suspended the laws of economics, is sufficient for most residents to happily pay a premium for their homes :lol:

HOLA4421
But it has an address with Ravelston in it... that adds at least 250k to the asking prices, don't you know - for me it's the Roman numerals that really add a touch of class, however.

In general the privilege of living in Edinburgh, the only city in the world that has suspended the laws of economics, is sufficient for most residents to happily pay a premium for their homes :lol:

Wonder if ESPC will give away a free flat when they hit the ten thousand mark?

HOLA4422
Yep; I think that so far they've only built a tiny fraction of the planned total. Altogether they're supposed to be building at least 16,000 houses on the Forth Riviera. Recently, however, the developers have started to change their minds as they've seen what way the market's headed: they're swerving away from the BTL hutch-ghetto concept and towards lovely family homes (link). If you go to the Scotsman website and search for "waterfront" you'll find all kinds of astonishing fantasies. It'll be interesting to see how it finally turns out.

That is interesting. More houses is better than more flats but still what chance is there of decent infrastructure being put in place as well ?

And as for the ESPC if it keeps on going at this pace we will have 10,000 on the list sometime in June.

So what happens to all these when they don't sell - and it comes to the 'quiet' time of August onwards....

Carnage !!! :lol:

HOLA4423
That is interesting. More houses is better than more flats but still what chance is there of decent infrastructure being put in place as well ?

And as for the ESPC if it keeps on going at this pace we will have 10,000 on the list sometime in June.

So what happens to all these when they don't sell - and it comes to the 'quiet' time of August onwards....

Carnage !!! :lol:

As said elswhere on here it is repos that will start to demolish the market. Too many people in Edinburgh (and elswhere of course) have invested far too much emotion in their "lifestyle", how they appear to other people, how much their house is worth, what postcode they live at etc. to willingly start cutting their prices. Depending on the debt levels, we will soon start to see visible repossesions in a lot of areas.

HOLA4424

There is definitely a change of sentiment.

A friend of mine is looking at a flat to rent. It's a 2 bedder not far off of Easter Road. It was for sale but the prospective landlord admits that he could not sell it (at the price he was after).

As for the fixed prices, basically this means that the bidding has stopped and that these people are hoping to attract 1 buyer, rather than expecting the herds of buyers that there were a few years back.

Normally a property goes on 'offers over' and only goes fixed if it is a sticky one, but looking at only the Edinburgh listings on the espc there are 75 properties that are newly on that are also fixed price.

Most people up here think that we are going to avoid a crash because we only really stagnated in the last crash, but we did not have the price inflation last time either.

I think we are about 4 months behind and excluding Edinburgh we are as overinflated as most of England and Wales. I predict 40% down in reals terms withing 3 years.

HOLA4425
There is definitely a change of sentiment.

A friend of mine is looking at a flat to rent. It's a 2 bedder not far off of Easter Road. It was for sale but the prospective landlord admits that he could not sell it (at the price he was after).

As for the fixed prices, basically this means that the bidding has stopped and that these people are hoping to attract 1 buyer, rather than expecting the herds of buyers that there were a few years back.

Normally a property goes on 'offers over' and only goes fixed if it is a sticky one, but looking at only the Edinburgh listings on the espc there are 75 properties that are newly on that are also fixed price.

Most people up here think that we are going to avoid a crash because we only really stagnated in the last crash, but we did not have the price inflation last time either.

I think we are about 4 months behind and excluding Edinburgh we are as overinflated as most of England and Wales. I predict 40% down in reals terms withing 3 years.

Why would you exclude Edinburgh ?

At the peak last July the average price of a property in Edinburgh was almost 8 times the average salary :o

229k vs 29k

Edinburgh must be up there with London and Northern Ireland when it comes to: Average house price Vs Average salary.

Or have I missed something....