House Price Crash Forum

Does Anyone Own Gold Coins ?

HOLA441
Most fakes are exact in weight.

See http://www.fisch.co.za

One must be crazy to buy gold on ebay!

erm ?

In my post, I mention that I weigh and measure.

Then you post to a link saying most fakes are exact in weight.

If you had bothered to read the link you had posted, you would find that a fake that is exact in weight, will be wrong in size.

The link that you post points out a device that both weights and measures.

Well done. (I think)

Ebay has an interesting community of gold dealers. Many of whom own retail shops and have feedback in the thousands.

But I am sure you are far more of an expert in these matters.

Edited by Flick

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
erm ?

In my post, I mention that I weigh and measure.

Then you post to a link saying most fakes are exact in weight.

If you had bothered to read the link you had posted, you would find that a fake that is exact in weight, will be wrong in size.

The link that you post points out a device that both weights and measures.

Well done.  (I think)

Ebay has an interesting community of gold dealers. Many of whom own retail shops and have feedback in the thousands.

But I am sure you are far more of an expert in these matters.

How do you measure them? Do you know what the tolerances are? I am not an expert but I researched extensively before deciding how to invest in gold. And my research led me to the conclusion that buying coins is not the best way for many reasons, including the risks of buying fakes.

HOLA443
How do you measure them? Do you know what the tolerances are? I am not an expert but I researched extensively before deciding how to invest in gold.  And my research led me to the conclusion that buying coins is not the best way for many reasons, including the risks of buying fakes.

As I said, I measure them against each other. Damn I hope they are not all fake.

If you'd bother to have read this site you posted the link to, you'd see a krugerrand made of lead would be 54% larger than a gold one. or 35% lighter.

They are big numbers.

Edited by Flick

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

http://www.coinauthentication.co.uk/newsletter2.html

There were initially two main centres used for making counterfeit sovereigns, Milan and Syria. The coins from Milan were mainly imported into Switzerland and then sent all around the world. Most were sent to Beirut for the Middle East market. Anderson after a visit in January 1956 said, Beirut is the Clapham Junction in the movement of gold in and out of the Near East. The Saudi Arabian Finance Ministry reputedly bought 50,000 of these coins directly from a group of Swiss based traffickers. These Italian counterfeits also went to South America, Western Europe and Greece. The Syrian counterfeits were used mainly in the Middle East or smuggled into India.

The Italian counterfeits were considered to be of a better quality than the Syrian coins. It was suspected by the British authorities that the so-called Swiss counterfeits were merely the best examples of the Italian coins that had been trafficked through Switzerland. During this time the Royal Mint assayed a large number of the counterfeits. The Italian coins, probably mainly from Beraha’s organisation, were found to usually contain between 91.2 to 91.7% gold whereas the Syrian/Lebanese coins, attributed to Chatile and others, varied between 88.0 to 91.5% gold. Genuine sovereigns always contain between 91.6 and 91.7% gold. Beraha was to later boast (Note 1) that he used more gold in his coins than the Royal Mint. The Royal Mint’s assays proved this boast to be as untrustworthy as his sovereigns.

It is difficult to quantify the scale of the problem with any certainty but it is probable that the number of counterfeits was vast. The Treasury estimated that there were up to 300 million sovereigns in circulation in the world in 1955. The Milan counterfeit factory operated by Beraha was one of the first to be closed by the Italian police. It was estimated to be able to produce up to a thousand coins a day. The Swiss police stated that between December 1952 and April 1954 one group of traffickers brought over 400,000 counterfeits into Switzerland from Milan. Again in 1955 Anderson noted an estimate that there was anything between one hundred thousand and a million Italian counterfeits in the 15 to 20 million sovereigns in Greece.

HOLA447
HOLA448
As I said, I measure them against each other. Damn I hope they are not all fake.

If you'd bother to have read this site you posted the link to, you'd see a krugerrand made of lead would be 54% larger than a gold one. or 35% lighter.

They are big numbers.

I read it and that was just an explanation. A fake would not be made of 100% lead.

If you had bothered to read further, the tolerance is 0.7%. That is a small number. A coin 1% larger would be very very hard to detect by visual comparison with a good coin.

I detect a little bit of angered concern in your posts.... how many have you bought on ebay?

HOLA449
HOLA4410
If you had bothered to read further, the tolerance is 0.7%.  That is a small number.  A coin 1% larger would be very very hard to detect by visual comparison with a good coin.

You are clearly showing an inability to read correctly. The tolerance is -0.7% in weight to allow for wear, not in size. A coin made primarily of lead would show a drastic difference in either size or weight.

My anger was at your sheer arrogance & rudeness demonstrated amply in this and another thread, on a subject of which by your own ommision & demonstration you know nothing about.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

C'mon guys. This thread is about gold coins. How did it turn into an argument as you are both on the same side. Obviously both conspiracy theorist/doom mongers like myself (or you wouldnt be interested in physical gold), so why not just discuss the best ways of buying, holding onto/hiding, selling, pro's and con's etc?

HOLA4413
C'mon guys. This thread is about gold coins. How did it turn into an argument as you are both on the same side. Obviously both conspiracy theorist/doom mongers like myself (or you wouldnt be interested in physical gold), so why not just discuss the best ways of buying, holding onto/hiding, selling, pro's and con's etc?

I just posted some useful info which I gathered years ago from my time consuming research into how to invest on gold safely and economically. He felt insulted I think when I said "one must be crazy to buy gold on ebay". Then he started saying I am arrogant and I didn't read what I posted.

Anyway, I am ready to quit the row.

HOLA4414

At the end of the day, think if you have the ability to test/weigh the coins then its not so risky to buy on ebay, although if you got a fake one I wonder how easy it would be to get a refund. I noticed some dealers on ebay which would probably be safe enough. I personally would prefer to pay a little extra and get them from my local dealer but I have noticed that on ebay all coins seem to sell even though the seller has a very low feedback. I even read some feedbacks where people said they never recieved their coins.

I'll continue to pay an extra tenner and get them from goldline.

HOLA4415

Ok I'm think of getting some kruggerrands,

1 or 2 every other month,

Don't trust Ebay or the post, so would prefer to go to a real shop / dealer

Found a company called Baird & Co in Bow

any one heard or dealt with them before, I don't want no fakes as I'm not going to know how to tell.

Price seems ok £256.75 each (via website)

Hoping I can just drive up to Bow and pick them up.

HOLA4416
Guest consa

I will be diversifying some of my gold to other investment and will be selling 10-12 of my krugers, they are genuine and i have receipt from Chard if anyone wants to save commission PM me!!

Edited by consa

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

any one heard or dealt with them before, I don't want no fakes as I'm not going to know how to tell.

Bought and sold one kruger through them about three years ago to gather experience with the process and decide whether to invest in this way.

I had never seen or touched one, it struck me how heavy the coin was for the size. You can really perceive why gold has been sought after for millennia.

At the time gold was £196/ounce. I paid £206 (i.e. 105% of spot). The price was lower than that published on the internet.

A month later gold climbed to £204/ounce and I sold it back. They paid £201 (i.e. 98.5% of spot).

You can walk in and buy or sell. They only accept cash. They pay you back in cash.

Despite the nice feeling of gold in your hand, buying/selling in this way is expensive and inconvenient, not to mention the storage problem. For this and other reasons I then decided to use goldmoney.

Anyway, it's up to you. Whatever you decide, if you have never held one in your hand I would recommend to buy just one to experience the feeling.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Yes. Thats where I get mine. Totally trustworthy by either registered post or by going in in person. They're hard to find though. You should call in advance so they expect you. Opening hours are 9-5 mon to fri.

HOLA4421
http://www.muenzhandlung-pickel.de/

with a little bit of german you should find what you want (click on the SHOP link). You will have to transfer the money into their bank account though, but it seems a reputable company . I will let you know when I received my coins if you are interested.

BTW, prices for the 1 oz coins droppend by 1 and 2 EUR since I bought them,

Krügerrand 1oz Gold  357,00 EUR

Maple Leaf 1oz Gold    362,00 EUR

Nugget 1oz Gold    362,00 EUR

Got my 3 gold coins this week and am very pleased !

They are right here in front of my monitor and a pleasure to look at. It took them about a week until they were here, I also had to pay 16,50 EUR for shipping but overall I think I would have paid more if I had bought them in the UK. I paid 1102 EUR = 762 GBP, which makes one coin cost around 254 quid. At Goldline they would have cost me (at todays prices) Nugget 274 + Maple Leaf 261 + Krugerrand 258 = 793 w/o shipping, so at least 30 quid more.... Can definitely recommend the German shop. Prices have increase in the meantime though, gold price is rising :rolleyes:

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425