House Price Crash Forum

Black Thursday (20.03.2008)

HOLA441

OK. This one is not grey. It's looking decidedly black and I am going to have my first 2008 guess and say that this ....is....it!!!!

Such a sharp fall after such a sharp rebound implies that the people are seeing through the 'sticking plaster fix'.

The show starts in Japan in around an hour!!!

Edited by Ed Norton

HOLA442
OK. This one is not grey. It's looking decidedly black and I am going to have my first 2008 guess and say that this ....is....it!!!!

Such a sharp fall after such a sharp rebound implies that the people are seeing through the 'sticking plaster fix'.

A lot of people (mainly the senior staff) won't be around (or leave work early) because of the Easter hols. Not sure if this will make things better or worse!

HOLA443

....I disagree...we seem to get a day with minimal gains / falls, followed by a day of big falls followed by a day of big gains.

It's all to pot out there! I think -150 falls tomorrow on the FTSE with similar gains on the DOW. But hell, what do I know.....it's getting stupid out there.

HOLA444
HOLA445
A lot of people (mainly the senior staff) won't be around (or leave work early) because of the Easter hols. Not sure if this will make things better or worse!

Suppose you could be right on that one. Im not a trader, so someone feel free to shoot me down in flames: but generally speaking, doesn't:

Decreased staff = decreased trading volumes = increased volatility?

Wasn't some of the volatility last August put down to decreased trading volumes because many traders were off on holiday?

Like I say, feel free to shoot that down in flames.....

HOLA446
Suppose you could be right on that one. Im not a trader, so someone feel free to shoot me down in flames: but generally speaking, doesn't:

Decreased staff = decreased trading volumes = increased volatility?

Wasn't some of the volatility last August put down to decreased trading volumes because many traders were off on holiday?

Like I say, feel free to shoot that down in flames.....

Indeed. The great crash of 1987 was on a day when many traders couldn't get to their desks because of the great storm the night before...

HOLA447

I'm not a Black Day kind of guy. But it seems to me that there's a great expectation for one fairly soon. Can't we come up with a trading system that cuts out the weak point (man) and replace completely with an automated computerized trading network, taking input from a set range of circumstances, and it's own environmentlal feedback from the internet? I can conceptualize a core algorythm which might do the (very) basics, surely the city has enough money to produce a system which deals money without the need for men to shout at one another and incidentally shaft the ordinary man; seems rather primative. Like I say, I'm not a city Black day kind of person, just a "computer nerd".

I suppose though that would mean our politicians and financiers having to announce decisions that were based entirely on logic, and cast aside their own egos...

HOLA448
I'm not a Black Day kind of guy. But it seems to me that there's a great expectation for one fairly soon. Can't we come up with a trading system that cuts out the weak point (man) and replace completely with an automated computerized trading network, taking input from a set range of circumstances, and it's own environmentlal feedback from the internet? I can conceptualize a core algorythm which might do the (very) basics, surely the city has enough money to produce a system which deals money without the need for men to shout at one another and incidentally shaft the ordinary man; seems rather primative. Like I say, I'm not a city Black day kind of person, just a "computer nerd".

I suppose though that would mean our politicians and financiers having to announce decisions that were based entirely on logic, and cast aside their own egos...

yeah its called a 'trading host' been around for ages....

torrow is triple witching hour thursday where march expirys happen....

HOLA449
HOLA4410

There's a very good chance the markets will fall tomorrow, due to the after close news about Thornburg Mortgage:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7305708.stm

It further adds to the negative sentiment and the general belief there's yet more banks and lenders likely to become unstuck.

But at the same time, if you bought HBOS shares yesterday, they could rebound quite nicely for a quick profit.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Guest tenant super

Ed , please could you add a subheading to your thread "AKA Black Maunday", it's just too good an opportunity to miss. :lol:

HOLA4415
HOLA4416