House Price Crash Forum

Edinbugh Latest

roblpm

HOLA441

So we see all the PR hype and prices going up everywhere apparently this summer despite big bad FED possibly cutting back and yet from what I can see the areas and properties that I am keeping an eye on are still on at the same price or less as they were last summer or more. Gorgie, Leith stalled any movement, outlying suburbs not much change, even the student areas not much change from what I can see.

What are your thoughts and opinions then people? Should I rush to buy or potentially miss this golden opportunity before a one bed in Gorgie costs £1,000,000?

Anyone think the PR hype only applies to England?

The PR hype only applies while they can keep a lid on the cost of money. Holding large debt on property is a tightrope I don`t want to be on at the present moment, far too uncertain whatever the PTB would like us to believe.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

I Have only started looking again at prices of property in Edinburgh i have not bothered for over a year now i note that 2 bed tenament flats in the Leith Area have now dropped to low seventy mark http://www.acandco.c...acrps-EDI130052

This will bring the 1 bed ones in Leith Gorgie down to late 50k not any signs of HPI

50k is about right, you have no control over who your neighbours are, and the statutory repairs thing that the council used to oversee isn`t there any more? I just wouldn`t buy a tenement flat full stop.

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA444

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/mortgageshome/article-2424110/Deflating-UKs-property-bubble-fears.html

Okay it is the Daily hate but as I suspected. None of the properties I have been watching have sold this summer. Sellers are deluded if they think they will get 2007/8 plus prices! Watch the BBC hype on London and SE England believe that applies here too. Wrong.

HOLA445

Starting to see new stuff come on at 2007 prices again and a (vey) rare sale at that level. Stuff on for years tends to be above 2004 price and needing modernising- see sales happening at 2004-5 level.

My feeing is there is some bullishness in the EAs and HRs in recent months on price - but not translating to any sales yet.

'Tis interesting, a place just down the road from here (South Queensferry) went on the market a couple of days ago at about 20% over the going rate. Myself and Mrs M scoffed at the ludicrous greed of the sellers/EAs, but within a day it had gone Under Offer.

So, either people are actually getting whipped up into a buying frenzy by H2B etc, or it's some sort of money laundering scam. Not sure which tbh...

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

'Tis interesting, a place just down the road from here (South Queensferry) went on the market a couple of days ago at about 20% over the going rate. Myself and Mrs M scoffed at the ludicrous greed of the sellers/EAs, but within a day it had gone Under Offer.

So, either people are actually getting whipped up into a buying frenzy by H2B etc, or it's some sort of money laundering scam. Not sure which tbh...

A friend of mine has just bought in South Queensferry - wouldn't tell me how much they had paid but thought it was a good deal as they are used to London prices....

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Well well well, that is quite a turnaround. It was not too long ago that there was nothing in Gorgie for less than £100K

how the tide has turned you wont get a flat over 100k in gorgie these days in fact if you wander a little further out prices are even cheaper http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/29427511

Edited by suggs

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

BTL must be starting to make sense now?

Well not really IMO, because there are too many competing flats in Gorgie/Dalry/Easter Rd and elsewhere, punters who made just average income filled their boots with BTL in the boom and now are desperately trying to fill the flats. Present landlord said it was a nightmare getting people who could regularly come up with £400 every month. But, yes you are right, picking up a flat like this for 40 - 50k would take the pressure off during void periods, I just don`t see the point when there are so many competing flats for rent?

Edited by dances with sheeple

• 2 months later...
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
  • 1 month later...
HOLA4421
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4422
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4423

That was at the start of 2013. But wait ...

Edinburgh property hotspot as it overtakes Glasgow

EDINBURGH has overtaken Glasgow as Scotland’s property hotspot. Figures for 2013 show house sales in the Capital outstripped those in the west by 24 per cent.

Sales rocketed by 90 per cent across Edinburgh and the Lothians between December and February compared with the same period last year.

That has led to a dramatic rise in prices, with homes in Stockbridge and Comely Bank now going for an average £256,623 – up 26.2 per cent – and the Leith Walk/Easter Road area, where a 16 per cent increase to £103,594 has been recorded.

Rejoice! We're back on top!

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/life-style/property/edinburgh-property-hotspot-as-it-overtakes-glasgow-1-3332280

Edited by Scunnered

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA4424
  • 1 year later...
HOLA4425