House Price Crash Forum

Kirty Allsop's comments were outrageous

HOLA441

I did not expect much Kirsty's comments other than the usual mantra about housing shortage and low interest rates. But to accuse us of setting up a website to create panic and even imply that what we are doing would be illegal in the stock market is an outrageous affront. But anyway, I hope people can see through this and now realise that Kirsty has no clue whatsoever what she is talking about.

She asserted that the house I sould last year would have gone up 20% in value since, without even knowing the details of that property. In fact, the value of the property I have sold has gone up by almost nothing since I sold it.

HOLA442

To collude with other to depress the price of a SPECIFIC share would be illegal (under the FSMA market abuse provisions). Similarly, doing the same to talk up a specific share is also illegal.

Seperately, there are FSMA rules about who and how you can provide investment advice in regulated areas (e.g. shares etc). However, there is NO part of the FSMA or general law which prevents people from expressing views on the GENERALITY of share prices. It would be perfectly legitimate for example to set up a stockmarketcrash website predicting a crash due to overvaluation.

So Kirsty is wrong about this as she is wrong about everything else.

Furthermore, she has slandered the motives of the webmaster and of Gavin and Bubble Pr*cker. Not bad for a days work Kirsty - you ignorant slanderous cow.

:ph34r:

HOLA443

Hi,

I've lurked on this site for months now but as someone who has done a lot of share trading I felt compelled to post.

The insider trading allegations made on that broadcast are incredibly serious, slanderous and of course total nonsense.

If I ran this site I would be looking to initiate legal proceedings.

Richard

HOLA444

A legal action against Kirsty Allsop would be great fun but I really don't think you would win. To have committed slander she would have had to have actually SAID something. He contribution to the programme was an illogical rant. I am sure you could prove it was stupid, but that isn't a crime.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Just be aware that anything published here could be regarded as libel ;) I'd suggest being very circumspect about what you say about specific individuals.

I can see why you are outraged but wouldn't like to see you fall foul of legal action yourselves.

When the inevitable happens the tapes can be played again :lol:

HOLA449

I've now seen it - and if anything you guys have been downplaying the stupidity of Kirsty. Jesus Christ!!

Bubble Pr*cker and Gavin - you came across BRILLIANTLY compared to Kirsty. Would have been better if they had given you more time rather than editing you out to listen to the crazed ignorant bitch - but that wasn't your fault.

Well done.

:ph34r:

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

What I don't get is why people like Kirsty are intoduced as "property gurus". Yes people like her have done well in a rising property market, but so did many amateur day traders who bought and sold tech stocks 4-5 years ago. I don't ever recall seeing them on national tv or in the national press described as "stockmarket gurus".

You might be able to buy a house today in parts of the UK and have it appreciate by 20% in the next year (some unheard of part of Northern Island or Scotland), but when Middlesborough (no offence intended) sees HPI of 59% in 1 year then you know you are probably in a property bubble. The likes of Kirsty do not give fair and balanced views of the risk that is currently present in the UK housing market and if and when the bubble bursts they won't be appearing on tv with handy tips on how to survive negative equity and cope with repossession/bankruptcy. Of course everybody's view is subjective, but people with a large public audience should try and be as objective as possible or state clearly what their vested interest is before they start talking about how painting the walls off white will add X000's to the value of a home.

HOLA4412
I haven't seen the interview, but you guys must have hit pretty close to the mark to get her all riled up like that, eh?!?

Got her right twix the eyes!!

That was very very funny indeed, she lost her temper completely, like a proper little madam too!!

Sounds like her Gravy Train will hit the buffers as well as Phils when the Balloon bursts.

She really has very little understanding of the ecconomics of a market bubble and how damaging its existance is in the first place. Guess thats why people still get sicked into Amway type pyramid selling and Nigerian scams.

There is still one born every minute.

HOLA4413

I heard on another forum that Phil was recently involved in a spot of gazundering because he thought the market had weakened, and when the vendor refused, the sale fell through. I bet THAT won't make LLL or any of Kirsty's on-the-record interviews.

HOLA4414

I just watched this.

You guys did well, I don't think you have anything to be ashamed of at all.

As for Kirsty, she was phenomenally dull. She spoke a lot and said nothing.

She reminds me of the bulls on this site - there won't be a crash because I don't want there to be one... banging on about low interest rates etc presumably "experts" such as her should know better (real interest rates are NOT low at all, as she'd know if she bothered to look at this site).

A transcript on the site would be great, I'm sure we'll have a lot of fun pulling the air out of her argument (I'm not sure there will be a lot left though).

HOLA4415

If Kirsty is so concerned that this web-site is likely to cause a 'panic in the property market' and therefore create a crash.......why doesn't she establish her own counter web-site (e.g. housepriceincreasingforever.co.uk).

That way she and all those who support the view that there will not be a 'market correction' can then argue their case accordingly.

It would be ironic that they would perhaps be called irresponsible for 'talking up the market' by encouraging people to invest in property at a time of sky high prices, when there are strong inications of a correction soon.

I live in Hong Kong, where property prices fell by 60-70% in value after 1997 and I wasn't convinced by Kirsty's argument.......she has no argment. I did note, however, that she was 'angry' and almost 'speechless' because she clearly does not want anyone to talk down the market in anyway.

This is, after all, a market and at the end of the day property prices will be subject to market forces.

Good luck to all!

HOLA4416

Kirsty's rant was very short of any kind of fact and could easily be shot down by anyone with a nodding aquaintance with the arguments for and against a crash. I don't think that is the point though - emotion will always beat logic on television. I think she probably shored up sentiment for house price increases. And sueing her for libel would only give her the opportunity to do it all again.

HOLA4417

i think it's outrageous that she was so up in arms over this - when on her programme she has spouted such patently false nonsense about how it is imperative to get on the housing ladder at any cost. On this season's series, they have advised people to buy properties in another city so that eventually they may realize enough rental income to buy in their own city - so pay both rent and a mortgage in the meantime, or to team up with a friend when each has the intention to sell out in three or four years with a profit to then buy on their own - not likely the way things are going -- that is irresponsible.

I love it - "like smallpox in the water" - she's nuts.