House Price Crash Forum

Check This Out...the Coming Depression

adrian101

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

A school child knows that you can not keep spending more than you earn and unless you think you are smarter than the bookmaker then gambling is not the long term answer and I don’t think people really need to read a book to know this or to work out what will come one day sooner or later.

The only question I see is the timing of the crash but make no mistake it’s not going to be a mild recession as the BBC is trying to put it but a full blow depression and that’s the time you will be working like mad just to get your daily bread and violence will be all around you so I recommend stacking up a little food now just in case things get out of hand.

HOLA445
http://www.financialsense.com/Experts/2006/Brussee.html

check this guy out, it is quite frightening,,,,looks like we will be reading steinbeck for advice soon

Thought I recognised the name.

I bought and read that book last summer. It has lots of data/graphs/charts that backs up what he's saying. It's a very compelling read, though geared more to stock markets than any thing else.

HOLA446
A school child knows that you can not keep spending more than you earn and unless you think you are smarter than the bookmaker then gambling is not the long term answer and I don’t think people really need to read a book to know this or to work out what will come one day sooner or later.

The only question I see is the timing of the crash but make no mistake it’s not going to be a mild recession as the BBC is trying to put it but a full blow depression and that’s the time you will be working like mad just to get your daily bread and violence will be all around you so I recommend stacking up a little food now just in case things get out of hand.

Dont you think that the effects would really only be felt by folk who had previously been tree hugging non aware of modern britain, to these guys violence would seem like an element of madmax, to many however this violence IS modern day Britain already.

Innercity woes spreading a little love to all........maybe a reality check is needed, aint got no time for toffs.

HOLA447
Dont you think that the effects would really only be felt by folk who had previously been tree hugging non aware of modern britain, to these guys violence would seem like an element of madmax, to many however this violence IS modern day Britain already.

Innercity woes spreading a little love to all........maybe a reality check is needed, aint got no time for toffs.

Just re read my post, sounds like I'm promoting violence but i don't mean that.

Many of the people who make the rulings and laws live in leafy suburbs along with VI,s of the current market, and what i mean is that maybe they should see have the rest of society is developing while they brown nose each other and bury there heads in the sand.

Anything out side of the 4 mile golden circle doesn't exist.

HOLA448

Brussees comments are even more worrying when you see a map of house price booms and busts in the US and UK over the last forty or so yrs (cant find a link to it sorry)

In essesnce

The US is MUCH more stable than our market, and though it booms and busts just like any market, ours has been much more severe,,,,their market booms ours booms more their market busts, ours is even worse

I would love to see what he says about the UK (or maybe not)

HOLA449
I bought and read that book last summer.

In the article in the link, it advises buying Treasury Bonds, so the author must be expecting a deflationary depression.

Just out of interest, does the author mention in the book anything about the Fed monetising every piece of sh1t it comes across, 'cos that's what's happening and surely means that the depression is more likely to be hyper-inflationary?

HOLA4410
In the article in the link, it advises buying Treasury Bonds, so the author must be expecting a deflationary depression.

Just out of interest, does the author mention in the book anything about the Fed monetising every piece of sh1t it comes across, 'cos that's what's happening and surely means that the depression is more likely to be hyper-inflationary?

what are the mechanics of a "hyperinflationary depression"?

HOLA4411

I can't remember, I'll have a look tonight.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

not really useful. Guy states we are in inflationary environment and that depression will be worse than 1930s. To me "hyperinflationary depression" is an oxymoron and am yet to hear an explanation of how it comes about other than (in southern drawl) "the gubment dawg gone 'n' printed mo' money". What does printing in this sense mean? How does printed money get into circulation?

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
not really useful. Guy states we are in inflationary environment and that depression will be worse than 1930s. To me "hyperinflationary depression" is an oxymoron and am yet to hear an explanation of how it comes about other than (in southern drawl) "the gubment dawg gone 'n' printed mo' money". What does printing in this sense mean? How does printed money get into circulation?

there's no limit to the way the money can enter circulation, they can just give it away a la the "tex rebates" in america.

if they offered to send you a 5000 pound check tomorrow, would you not cash it?

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
there's no limit to the way the money can enter circulation, they can just give it away a la the "tex rebates" in america.

of course, but it in a debt based society, the bond market would take it away immediately (mortgage rates immediately rose in the US did, by the way). Fannie and Freddie increasing cap on mortgages? no problem; "F*ck you" said the bond market. US, UK and EU are not at liberty to simply print because the bond market will tell them to go screw themselves. Afterall, it is not as simple a few keystrokes to print. THe government can only "print" by issuing treasuries, and if they can't issue (like the 30yr US failed treasury auction a few weeks back) then they don't print, period.

HOLA4419
of course, but it in a debt based society, the bond market would take it away immediately (mortgage rates immediately rose in the US did, by the way). Fannie and Freddie increasing cap on mortgages? no problem; "F*ck you" said the bond market. US, UK and EU are not at liberty to simply print because the bond market will tell them to go screw themselves. Afterall, it is not as simple a few keystrokes to print. THe government can only "print" by issuing treasuries, and if they can't issue (like the 30yr US failed treasury auction a few weeks back) then they don't print, period.

not all treasuries are sold to the open market, they can also just be dold to the fed, or other CB, and monetized.

HOLA4420
Just re read my post, sounds like I'm promoting violence but i don't mean that.

Many of the people who make the rulings and laws live in leafy suburbs along with VI,s of the current market, and what i mean is that maybe they should see have the rest of society is developing while they brown nose each other and bury there heads in the sand.

Anything out side of the 4 mile golden circle doesn't exist.

Adam Applegarth - the arch deacon of financial scumbaggery is a northerner, not a toff. Is he OK? You'll find most city traders are cockney barrow-boys in suits.

Sort out your stereotypes northern numpty - they're as accurate <_< as flat caps and whippets.

HOLA4421
'In the article in the link, it advises buying Treasury Bonds, so the author must be expecting a deflationary depression'

TIPS = Treasury Inflation Protected Securities (TIPS)

i.e. index-linked inflation-proof bonds. Hence the author is expecting inflation greater than or equal to 0%

No such thing because the Gov't ALWAYS understates inflation.

Is the rate that the UK Gov't is paying on 'Inlfation linked savings' keeping up with the rise in your living costs?

Thought not.

HOLA4422

Or they could nationalise a bank ...............oh wait they've already done that.

We're still gonna have the depression that they guy in the book was talking about anyway. What happens in nominal terms won't do anything to stop the repossesions and soup queues,

HOLA4423
Or they could nationalise a bank ...............oh wait they've already done that.

We're still gonna have the depression that they guy in the book was talking about anyway. What happens in nominal terms won't do anything to stop the repossesions and soup queues,

I agree %100 that it will be depression conditions either way, it's just the manner that we get there that's questioned.