House Price Crash Forum

Come On Cgnao - Wall St Opens In A Minute.

HOLA441
Ok, I'll post it.

This lot has been doing the rounds today...

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Thats a good post. The US banks non-borrowed reserves have gone negative in Dec 2007. This event is unprecedented in all the Fed data since 1959. Fractional lending in negative territory and the Fed is putting in the liquidity to support the banks.

So, where have the non borrowed reserves gone ? Will they come back ? How much more money has the Fed got to continue providing liquidity ? And, where does the Fed get the money for this liquidity ? The guy from Greenrush capital asks these questions but doesn't answer them. Anyone here know ?

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Ok, I'll post it.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

I have no idea who these guys are, but I'll post it anyway. Could be cobblers.

Wow great find TW11!

F*** Me. Looks like old Cgnao is right, although I wish he'd posted these links. The balance sheet from the Fed at the end of Part 1 looks "a bit disturbing"!!! as the bloke on the commentary said.

Edited by markinspain

HOLA443
Thats a good post. The US banks non-borrowed reserves have gone negative in Dec 2007. This event is unprecedented in all the Fed data since 1959. Fractional lending in negative territory and the Fed is putting in the liquidity to support the banks.

So, where have the non borrowed reserves gone ? Will they come back ? How much more money has the Fed got to continue providing liquidity ? And, where does the Fed get the money for this liquidity ? The guy from Greenrush capital asks these questions but doesn't answer them. Anyone here know ?

Good find indeed. So, the bank of banks is almost bankrupt?! :ph34r:

This is the link to the Fed's stats that the presentation showed:

http://www.federalreserve.gov/releases/h3/Current/

The interesting bit is "2008-Jan." at the bottom showing the non-borrowed reserves going from +$40 Billion to -$8 Billion, which is unprecedented (it's that word again).

I guess the bigger question is, where did the money go?

Also, how can fractional reserve banking 'work' with a negative reserve? :huh:

Edited by redalert

HOLA444

The interesting bit is "2008-Jan." at the bottom showing the non-borrowed reserves going from +$40 Billion to -$8 Billion, which is unprecedented (it's that word again).

Easy.

I give you £1

You lend it to 93 people and put £93 worth of "assets" on your books.

I remove my £1.

You are fooked.

Edited by Injin

HOLA445
HOLA446
Guest grumpy-old-man
Ok, I'll post it.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

I have no idea who these guys are, but I'll post it anyway. Could be cobblers.

Hi TW11,

what a great find, cheers. :)

I have seen similar stuff to this but nothing as good as this.

Those FED balance sheets are scary :o:lol: but expected from what I have previously read. It just seems strange seeing it all in 3 vids, makes it sink it that bit further imo.

Unprecidented figures eh...... :ph34r:

HOLA447

I think the money went to keep the banks solvent, trouble is what happens now if they have to take more losses back on the books?

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
I think the money went to keep the banks solvent, trouble is what happens now if they have to take more losses back on the books?

You're probably right, but they have been writing down for months and managed to leave this unborrowed reserve figure untouched. I guess they are really sailing close to the wind now, their lines of credit are maxxed out and they need every cent they can get. Is someone in the U.S. hiding a huge unannounced write down?

HOLA4411
You're probably right, but they have been writing down for months and managed to leave this unborrowed reserve figure untouched. I guess they are really sailing close to the wind now, their lines of credit are maxxed out and they need every cent they can get. Is someone in the U.S. hiding a huge unannounced write down?

I think it's more likely to be a U.k. bank. I think the telegraph had something on it, I'll try to find it. This is what happens I suppose when models have to perform in the real world. They don' t seem to take account of the 'human element' . Either way, this wole thing seems a real tanglemess indeed.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
:lol: No indeed not, but it begs the question is the BOE and the ECB in the same situation, they seem to have done even more jiggery pokery than the fed.

If I was a gambling man I would put my money on Citibank in the US. In the UK, who knows..? I know RBS have a mystery £10 Billion hole, maybe we can find the ECB reserve figures.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
Guest Skint Academic
I know RBS have a mystery £10 Billion hole, maybe we can find the ECB reserve figures.

Does this mean that they might start asking for overdrafts to be repaid if things get really bad?

HOLA4419
If I was a gambling man I would put my money on Citibank in the US. In the UK, who knows..? I know RBS have a mystery £10 Billion hole, maybe we can find the ECB reserve figures.

This is insane, we are trying to look at the CENTRAL BANKS figures with an eye to what amounts to being insolvent. I can't believe this is even happening,and we are an interested few. The average Joe probably has no idea about any of this at all.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
Does this mean that they might start asking for overdrafts to be repaid if things get really bad?

I doubt it - the only loans, etc they are likely to 'call in' are the ones they think are likely to default. The rest are making them money in the form of interest payments. Notice that when egg cancelled cards, the people affected were those with no debts and those with big debts and a high risk of default. The people carrying a debt but making regular payments are the banks best customers.

HOLA4422
Possibly. Most overdrafts are "Repable on Demand". ie. in full.

I vaguely remember that corporate overdrafts were repayable on demand in the 90s slump... and if the bank did this, the company was finished - usually. Those in the know often said that the company was solvent - but, because everyone else was in trouble, they had cash-flow problems.

If we are to attribute something to cgnao that is unprecedented, I think it has to be that the Bank of England is now a nationalised company... in order to get around EU rules about state aid to commercial organisations (Northern Rock).

HOLA4423
I vaguely remember that corporate overdrafts were repayable on demand in the 90s slump... and if the bank did this, the company was finished - usually. Those in the know often said that the company was solvent - but, because everyone else was in trouble, they had cash-flow problems.

If we are to attribute something to cgnao that is unprecedented, I think it has to be that the Bank of England is now a nationalised company... in order to get around EU rules about state aid to commercial organisations (Northern Rock).

What's the significance of the BOE being a nationalised company.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425