House Price Crash Forum

Bournemouth

buytoilet

HOLA441
That is cheap! I dont know that area at all though so I guess again its location location? I just noticed - is that part of Bournemouth in Hampshire?? Chappell & Matthews contact details on Rightmove... see below which I cut and pasted :rolleyes:

Chappell & Matthews, Bournemouth

27-29 Castle Lane West Bournemouth, Hampshire, BH9 3LH

Let us know how it goes.

I really can't imagine why people say £175000 is cheap! Cheap in relation to what, another expensive overpriced property in Parkstone ? Had the market not been allowed to inflate recklessly a property at £175000 would be considered expensive. It was only a few short years ago that a property in the top end of the market was referred to as being worth:" a quarter of a million" . Anyone not in denial is of the belief that property prices have to fall 50% in line with incomes, hopefully within a year a property at £175000 will be heading towards the top end of the market again, when a £250000 is back to £125000 or less. IT WILL HAPPEN when we all re-adjust our perceptions and realise that the UK will be paying for the last reckless lending spree for the next 20 years.

The latest study from the Institute of Fiscal Studies suggests that the Government "may have to find an additional £39bn a year in tax rises and spending cuts to plug the black hole in the public finances," reports The Telegraph. If all of that was raised from tax, says the paper, it would cost £1,250 per British family per year, between now and 2016. That's a crude measure, but it gives you an idea of the scale of the problem And "these projections are, if anything, optimistic," reckons the FT. If the economy deteriorates even further, or the government's cost of borrowing goes up, the bill could be much higher.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
I really can't imagine why people say £175000 is cheap! Cheap in relation to what, another expensive overpriced property in Parkstone ? Had the market not been allowed to inflate recklessly a property at £175000 would be considered expensive. It was only a few short years ago that a property in the top end of the market was referred to as being worth:" a quarter of a million" . Anyone not in denial is of the belief that property prices have to fall 50% in line with incomes, hopefully within a year a property at £175000 will be heading towards the top end of the market again, when a £250000 is back to £125000 or less. IT WILL HAPPEN when we all re-adjust our perceptions and realise that the UK will be paying for the last reckless lending spree for the next 20 years.

Everything is relative - yes £175,000 is cheap for a big detached 4 bed house in need of some renovation but as always you cannot get away from location - what do you mean ..."expensive overpriced property in Parkstone...." location is always a factor in property pricing. To say it isnt is madness - would a house facing on to a major road into a city be priced the same as the same house overlooking the Purbeck Hills? You say Parkstone... some parts of Parkstone are dirt cheap others are pretty high still. Depends which part of Parkstone you referring to?

...."hopefully within a year a property at £175000 will be heading towards the top end of the market again, when a £250000 is back to £125000 or less. IT WILL HAPPEN when we all re-adjust our perceptions and realise that the UK will be paying for the last reckless lending spree for the next 20 years".... yes great for FTBs but not so great for people who HAD to buy at the top end of the market and now find themselves in negative equity and having lost loads of hard earned cash! Probably what may have happened to the guy selling his 4 bed house for £175k.

HOLA443
That one looks well worth looking at. Keep us posted.

Ok Property need complete refurb, classic flipper property in a rising market.

I think 175 is a bit rich with a budget of 15k for refurb takes us to 190k.

Having now seen the property I would not say it is a bargain but well priced if you are good at DIY which I am not.

HOLA444
Everything is relative - yes £175,000 is cheap for a big detached 4 bed house in need of some renovation but as always you cannot get away from location - what do you mean ..."expensive overpriced property in Parkstone...." location is always a factor in property pricing. To say it isnt is madness - would a house facing on to a major road into a city be priced the same as the same house overlooking the Purbeck Hills? You say Parkstone... some parts of Parkstone are dirt cheap others are pretty high still. Depends which part of Parkstone you referring to?

...."hopefully within a year a property at £175000 will be heading towards the top end of the market again, when a £250000 is back to £125000 or less. IT WILL HAPPEN when we all re-adjust our perceptions and realise that the UK will be paying for the last reckless lending spree for the next 20 years".... yes great for FTBs but not so great for people who HAD to buy at the top end of the market and now find themselves in negative equity and having lost loads of hard earned cash! Probably what may have happened to the guy selling his 4 bed house for £175k.

Yes EVERYTHING is relative and £175000 is NOT CHEAP for a smallish detached 4 bed house in need of renovation in Bournemouth, unless you are talking Canford Cliffs.

Property should be down 25% from peak , that is EVERYWHERE, even Rightmoves director has been quoted time and time again saying that sellers are pricing "wishfully high" and EA's are being "bullish in their valuations", he has spoken of "false optimism" and says that buyers expect 25% off from peak. This is NOT in some other county, some other town, some other road, this is ACROSS THE BOARD, LENDERS set prices in as much as anyone that needs a mortgage is limited to what is on offer, and the time of irresponsible and reckless lending is now behind us. That most people in the UK cannot say THANK GOD to that surprises me time and time again.

I would not be happy to pay more than 25% off peak price anywhere, no area is immune to what is happening. Property IS falling in line with incomes, even the new mortgages announced this week by HSBC were at 3x's loan to income, its just a question of mathematics. See article at :

Why property prices have to fall

There isn't going to be a return to 2007 reckless lending levels, property prices now have to fall back to where they would have been if not for a few years of madness. And YES it is awful for all those whose fingers got burned but even if property falls 50% it will only be back to 2000 levels I believe. The market HAS to adjust, the UK is going to be paying for what has happened due to our inflated property market for the next 20 + years:

The latest study from the Institute of Fiscal Studies suggests that the Government "may have to find an additional £39bn a year in tax rises and spending cuts to plug the black hole in the public finances," reports The Telegraph. If all of that was raised from tax, says the paper, it would cost £1,250 per British family per year, between now and 2016. That's a crude measure, but it gives you an idea of the scale of the problem And "these projections are, if anything, optimistic," reckons the FT. If the economy deteriorates even further, or the government's cost of borrowing goes up, the bill could be much higher.

[

quote]The problem, according to a range of economists surveyed by The Daily Telegraph, is that the rise in house prices in recent years was due less to supply and demand fundamentals − the famous mismatch between the paucity of new homes being built and the glut of people wanting to buy − than to the cheap availability of mortgages. If, as some suspect, this credit super-boom will be followed by a long-term drought, whether because banks simply do not recover fully or because the Government imposes new regulations on lending, the implication may be that house prices simply never recover. Given that Lord Turner's review last week mooted the possibility of a limit for loan-to-value ratios, Capital Economics founder Roger Bootle says: "What Lord Turner is suggesting seems to be a recipe for much lower house prices
Simon Rubinsohn, chief economist at the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors

Most of the house price indices suggest prices have fallen by up to 20pc from the peak. However, many of our members [surveyors and estate agents] cast doubt on this and calculate independently that the scale of price falls has been even greater − 30pc or more already. They suspect the Nationwide and Halifax figures are underestimating scale of the peak-to-trough fall to date.

Looking at the surveys you have to come to the conclusion that we aren't at the bottom by any stretch yet. Our members are still expecting further falls in prices, according to our survey, and if there's anyone you might expect to be talking up the market it is them

There is absolutely no evidence that property is going to recover to 2007 prices after 50% falls other than in line with incomes. Prices should not have been allowed to inflate, a 50% rise should, historically have taken a minimum of 15 years possibly more, historically 1 - 2% rise a year above inflation.

The UK had to borrow 6 billion in 2001 from overseas to finance the inflating property bubble, by 2007 I believe the UK borrowed 750 billion from overseas to prop up mortgage lending, ALL THAT MONEY HAS GONE AND HAS GONE FOR GOOD. Everyone is in agreement that anything over 4x's income is reckless and most predict loan to income ratios will revert to the mean 3x's or less. It is simple maths really, average wage £24000 x 3

HBOS put loan to income at just under 6 x's at peak, and an average property at £200000. They use an above average wage of £36000 but even using that x3 = £108000 50% drop .

So any property in Dorset / Hampshire I would not put in an offer over 25 % off peak but would expect like most do 30% from peak.

See article:

How to sell your house in a buyers market

Even then I would find it hard to come to terms with the 25% loss I will incur within a year.

If a property was valued at £300000 in 2007 25% off (Land Registry falls since peak relevent in ALL areas on loan to income ratios ) = £225000 , future loss with another 25% fall based on loan to income ratios = loss £75000

It is why I said a few weeks ago that anyone waiting for prices to fall should be out putting in offers at 30% off peak. Put it in writing as to why you are making this kind of offer and the FACTS behind it. My argument being that currently getting say 25% off peak the seller is losing 25% but the buyer is also going to lose 25% and not see that returned for a decade or more. So currently, until the market stabilises at 40% from peak , (which could be by the autumn, most major economists are expecting further 10 - 20% falls in the coming months ), a 25 % loss to the seller and a 25% loss to the buyer does not seem such a bad deal for the seller who is only go to see higher and higher losses, not so good for the buyer but any buyer buying in today's market has to realise there will be further heavy losses.

If you buy a £300000 property for £225000 but in a year it is back to its 2000 level of £150000 and you have lost £75000 is that a BARGAIN? In a few short years I doubt anyone seeing at £150000 house will think of it as a bargain, it will just be what it is a £150000 not a £90000 house.

Even Margaret Beckett, housing minister, the "green shoot" queen earlier this year, was quoted last weekend as saying" any politician that says the market has bottomed would be insane."

Edited by Sybil13

HOLA445
You say Parkstone... some parts of Parkstone are dirt cheap others are pretty high still. Depends which part of Parkstone you referring to

EA's now quote anything South of Ashley Rd as Lower Parkstone. Historically it was anything South of Bournemouth Rd. I take great delight when an EA rings me with a " fabulous property in .............. Rd in Lower Parkstone and I then tell them that is not Lower Parkstone. They try to talk it up because of all the "trendy" bars that have opened around the green. The Cow will always be the Railway Tavern. Patricks still looks like a bank.

Branksome is not Penn Hill

Whitecliff is not Lilliput

The list is endless

HOLA446
EA's now quote anything South of Ashley Rd as Lower Parkstone. Historically it was anything South of Bournemouth Rd. I take great delight when an EA rings me with a " fabulous property in .............. Rd in Lower Parkstone and I then tell them that is not Lower Parkstone. They try to talk it up because of all the "trendy" bars that have opened around the green. The Cow will always be the Railway Tavern. Patricks still looks like a bank.

The list is endless

I would welcome some local knowledge, I am abroad so can't just pop in, I don't have good health so I will be buying this year I hope, but may rent first.

I am looking at the areas from Mudeford, Highcliffe, New Milton (especially) and Lymington. I am still torturing myself between a 2 or 3 bed flat / appt with sea views and a 3 / 4 bed detached house with hopefully a double garage. I can spend up to 400k. I know so much depends on the vendors position, but what levels of offer do most estate agents look for?

Are there any areas I should avoid for good reason?

Many thanks to any and all replies.

Edited by Tim Miller

HOLA447
I would welcome some local knowledge, I am abroad so can't just pop in, I don't have good health so I will be buying this year I hope, but may rent first.

I am looking at the areas from Mudeford, Highcliffe, New Milton (especially) and Lymington. I am still torturing myself between a 2 or 3 bed flat / appt with sea views and a 3 / 4 bed detached house with hopefully a double garage. I can spend up to 400k. I know so much depends on the vendors position, but what levels of offer do most estate agents look for?

Mudeford and Highcliffe is upmarket and pricey where all the blue rinse go to play golf and die .

Lymington is yachtie central very clicky and expensive but fantistic if you are a yachtie with social aspirations

Southbourne and Hengistbury Head is spot on and real close to the sea . Southbourne is like Sandbanks without the bling price and real queit and spacious

Parts of Boscombe Manor are cool ...The sea side of the main road (Old christchurch Road )..Boscombe is not as bad as its reputation great to shop in lots of cultural diversity but not to live in .

New Milton is totally bland but close to a great unspoilt part of the coastline and beach .

You could look at parts of the New Forest as well with your budget but expensive

HOLA448
Mudeford and Highcliffe is upmarket and pricey where all the blue rinse go to play golf and die .

Lymington is yachtie central very clicky and expensive but fantistic if you are a yachtie with social aspirations

Southbourne and Hengistbury Head is spot on and real close to the sea . Southbourne is like Sandbanks without the bling price and real queit and spacious

Parts of Boscombe Manor are cool ...The sea side of the main road (Old christchurch Road )..Boscombe is not as bad as its reputation great to shop in lots of cultural diversity but not to live in .

New Milton is totally bland but close to a great unspoilt part of the coastline and beach .

You could look at parts of the New Forest as well with your budget but expensive

Stonehenge,

Thanks for the info, very helpful and interesting. I used to holiday in Highcliffe as a child, so I still remember most areas. As I live abroad I do read the papers and avid reader of HPC, what a superb site this is. The only thing I am still unsure of is what level of offer to put in to the EA. I am confused what the expected norm is, -15%-20% or even -25%? Does any one know what the average or norm is?

HOLA449

Wait until the end of the year and you should be able to buy this!

1.6m down to £800K

Seriously there are 50% drops on the cards. If you consider that HSBC are offering 90% mortgages at 3x's loan to income and their premier account holders have a single income of £100000 but HSBC are capping a mortgage at £400000 I think it says a lot as to where they believe the market is heading.

As I keep saying, a few short years ago a £250000 property was referred to as being worth "a quarter of a million" . You could have bought a huge house with an acre in Canford Cliffs for £500000. So set your sights high at the end of the year with £400000.

FORGET FLATS they are a pain in the ****, especially leasehold, but any flats really I know so many unhappy people living in flats . Have your own front door with space around you you will never regret it even if you don't have the sea view.

HOLA4410
Stonehenge,

Thanks for the info, very helpful and interesting. I used to holiday in Highcliffe as a child, so I still remember most areas. As I live abroad I do read the papers and avid reader of HPC, what a superb site this is. The only thing I am still unsure of is what level of offer to put in to the EA. I am confused what the expected norm is, -15%-20% or even -25%? Does any one know what the average or norm is?

Didn't see this response before I posted the other reply. Anyone buying in todays market and not getting 30% off from peak is clearly misinformed. Even with 30% off you will still carry another 20% loss. You are looking at the higher end of the market and these are falling fast now that lenders are lending 3 - 4x's loan to income . The FSA have said they will cap lending at 3x's or lower to stop prices inflating if lenders start to lend irresponsibly again. Property prices will fall significantly once we can stop the mainstream papers hyping up the market

Take a look at quote below from this link to see what we are up against in the UK currently:

Diary of a Credit Crunch

Stop talking down my house prices

So which executive at the Evening Standard is trying to sell a house right now? In early editions of the paper yesterday, a long piece on the housing market was headlined "Now is not the time to buy – London house prices look set to fall further". By the final edition, exactly the same article was headlined a little differently – "Spring's here, the housing market is stirring, so is it time to buy?". Sounds like someone got an instruction from on high.

Consider if you got 25% off a property valued at £500000 at peak you would pay £375000 but would lose another £125000 by next year! Many would say " things really are as bad as that" . But was is BAD is not that that property has lost £250000 in value but that it was allowed to inflate 50% from 2000, the kind of rise that should have taken about 20 years or more in line with incomes.

The UK went broke trying to support an inflated property bubble and no matter how hard the press trys to talk up the market it is falling down down down......

HOLA4411

The list is endless

AND NO AREA IS IMMUNE from 50% falls! When HSBC's new 90% mortgage at 3 x's loan to income even for Premier customers (that is a single wage earner who earns £100000 or more) is capped at £400000, it says a lot as to where the market is going. It is going back to where it was a few short years ago , 50% lower in line with sensible and sustainable lending levels. Of course some areas are going to be worth more than others they ALWAYS HAVE BEEN, but that £250000 semi will be worthy £125000 or less and the £500000 house will be back to being worth "a quarter of a million".

HOLA4412

I'm local, and agree Southborne and Hengistbury Head are good, and your £400K will go a long way there

I doubly agree to forget flats. I know many folk in trouble with neighbours, management, service charges and god knows what else.

I take it you are looking at Sold prices by postcode on houseprices.co.uk? Or home.co.uk?

HOLA4413

Hi Tim - good advice given - you will get good value for your money in Southbourne along the sea front there and its gorgeous. I am sure you are doing it already but you can keep a good tab on what is available and what is going under offer on www.rightmove.co.uk - just do a search on the area and your budget and see what is on offer.

Lucky you in the Caribbean .... will be slightly different when you get back here!

HOLA4414
Hi Tim - good advice given - you will get good value for your money in Southbourne along the sea front there and its gorgeous. I am sure you are doing it already but you can keep a good tab on what is available and what is going under offer on www.rightmove.co.uk - just do a search on the area and your budget and see what is on offer.

Lucky you in the Caribbean .... will be slightly different when you get back here!

To all those who have given such great advice, many thanks to one and all. Being away for 5 years now and despite reading newspapers and HPC, it is difficult to judge the right offer level in the area I am looking at. I only e-mailed one agent asking what would be accepted on a flat, I was told a 10% drop and no more. A funny thing, it went under offer soon after.

I know a flat would be grim, I hate the thought, but I am quite ill, believe it or not, 13 heart attacks and two strokes, that's why I left the cold UK. Most of those heart attacks were after leaving. I hate the thought of going back to the cold, maybe I just might be able to afford a place in the UK and abroad. I think I need to leave the Caribbean, quite frankly the treatment has not been good, no matter which Island and last time the ambulance did not even bother turning up.

So whilst I agree that I should leave it a year and I might rent for a while, I really would like to settle down in my own place.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Hi Tim - sorry meant to add on previous post - I was rung up yesterday by Barratts (Honeycombe Chine) on the cliffs in Boscombe. They have 2 bed ground floor apartments for £270k. No sea view as they are in the courtyard and not terribly big around 700 sqft. But they are doing all sorts of deals like stamp duty payment etc. You would need to put about 40% down if you needed finance I am going along to take a look just out of interest. Same apartments were selling at £385k back in the "boom".

HOLA4417
Hi Tim - sorry meant to add on previous post - I was rung up yesterday by Barratts (Honeycombe Chine) on the cliffs in Boscombe. They have 2 bed ground floor apartments for £270k. No sea view as they are in the courtyard and not terribly big around 700 sqft. But they are doing all sorts of deals like stamp duty payment etc. You would need to put about 40% down if you needed finance I am going along to take a look just out of interest. Same apartments were selling at £385k back in the "boom".

but those apartments at 385k probably had sea views! I wonder if any apartments are left with sea views.

I have noticed that many flats are remaining unsold in southbourne, houses are selling slightly quicker. although market is still dead as door knob, although viewings are definitely up as spring is in the air, just wait till autumn.

You are correct about 40% down as mortgage lenders recognise there is much more risk associated with flats.

I wonder where the market will be next year? will it rebound or will increasing unemployment push down prices further?

I am now looking to buy in a years time but am not sure wether to buy when prices are still going down or to wait until they start to rise again. Although saying that rents are tumbling so it still makes sense to stay put and rent if you can!

have a nice sunny weekend eveyone

JC

HOLA4418

Londongirl,

Yes I saw those on line, I must be thick, it was not clear what view you did get. I have seen two for sale which have sea views, I think these were bought off plan to turn later on. I don't fancy being someones profit! With advice from others about the downsides of buying a flat, I really am going off the idea of a flat.

I am adding Southbourne to my list because of good advice here. I still wonder what the offer lever is hat is thew norm in these areas, I know it depends on the seller and the time of year. I look at the mini upturn as a spring bounce and no more. I agree with those that feel 'things' will get a lot worse.

Edited by Tim Miller

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
sea views

southbourne

house

cheap

Then sir this is for you

uninterupted views of Bournemouth Bay

just needs lick of paint and some imagination sir

suit keen DIY'er

(I think I would be a great estate agent) :P

Only problem is, it is unmortgageable and uninsurable. Bournemouth Council have said they are abandoning their efforts to shore up the cliffs here, so you're on your own. That said, if you can buy it for £200K, and it stands for the next 20yrs, that's cheaper than rentals in the area. Could always be used as a "cash machine" through holiday lets

HOLA4421
but those apartments at 385k probably had sea views! I wonder if any apartments are left with sea views.

I have noticed that many flats are remaining unsold in southbourne, houses are selling slightly quicker. although market is still dead as door knob, although viewings are definitely up as spring is in the air, just wait till autumn.

You are correct about 40% down as mortgage lenders recognise there is much more risk associated with flats.

I wonder where the market will be next year? will it rebound or will increasing unemployment push down prices further?

I am now looking to buy in a years time but am not sure wether to buy when prices are still going down or to wait until they start to rise again. Although saying that rents are tumbling so it still makes sense to stay put and rent if you can!

have a nice sunny weekend eveyone

JC

Hi conrad - no I contacted them when they first started the build and that was the price of a 2 bed WITHOUT sea views because I remember thinking it was madness. There are some left with sea views but dont know what they are going for. But did you see on the news yesterday - the new "beach huts" at Boscombe are being sold as "surf pods" and are being marketed at £90K !! Urban Beach are opening another restaurant down there - pity the appalling pub on the corner having been "done up" is a blooming Harvester!!

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/4274...__surf_pods___/

Edited by Londongirl

HOLA4422
Hi conrad - no I contacted them when they first started the build and that was the price of a 2 bed WITHOUT sea views because I remember thinking it was madness. There are some left with sea views but dont know what they are going for. But did you see on the news yesterday - the new "beach huts" at Boscombe are being sold as "surf pods" and are being marketed at £90K !! Urban Beach are opening another restaurant down there - pity the appalling pub on the corner having been "done up" is a blooming Harvester!!

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/4274...__surf_pods___/

Has anyone seen what these 'pods' look like from outside, and what the dimensions inside are? What do you actually get for the £90K, and can you overnight in them? If you can, I can see them becoming unoffical permanent residences. A modern equivalent of the many coastal wooden shacks people lived in and raised families in up until about the nineteen eighties.

chalet2_203x152.jpg

post-12677-1240440165_thumb.jpg

HOLA4423
Has anyone seen what these 'pods' look like from outside, and what the dimensions inside are? What do you actually get for the £90K, and can you overnight in them? If you can, I can see them becoming unoffical permanent residences. A modern equivalent of the many coastal wooden shacks people lived in and raised families in up until about the nineteen eighties.

chalet2_203x152.jpg

Cant see the dimensions - but they seem to say there are single and doubles? Also that some will be sold and others will be let. Havent had a chance to get down there this week but will definitely go and have a look.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
Cant find info on size but they seem bigger than the wooden sheds.

http://www.bournemouthsurfreef.com/tag/surf-pods/

Thanks for pics. I still can't get any real sense of what you get for your cash, other than a room with a sink and a table in it. And some Butlin's in the 1950's style graphics.

The EA camera is such a liar. Be very interested in an eye witness account.