House Price Crash Forum

Wilmslow/cheshire

Papitogrande

HOLA441

I see... so next-door in late 2012 in better condition + already with a lush garden.

Interesting times what with the budget and the squeeze on BTL... but that's going to take some time until it gains investor perception and has an affect on market.

If you do put an offer in for it, obviously I hope you get it for a good value price, given the money which will be required to modernise. It's not in the best part of Wilmslow but it's certainly quite away from the not so nice parts as well. I just don't have a grasp on extent of competition you will be up against.

There are still some flippers around... eg this one in Cheadle Hulme a few miles away. Yet not sold yet so perhaps one more flipper who can't compete against you. Good luck if you decide to put an offer in on the Wilmslow house.

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Oh wow I remember seeing that house when it came to the market and thought how lovely, but decided against the location because I wanted to be on the main line to London.

I have been looking 6 months in Wilmslow but couldn't find anything decent under 350k which is quite depressing...

Estate agents actually think this wreck could sell up to 250k. We'll see. Renovation can easily add 60-70k on the bill...

HOLA443

Oh wow I remember seeing that house when it came to the market and thought how lovely, but decided against the location because I wanted to be on the main line to London.

I have been looking 6 months in Wilmslow but couldn't find anything decent under 350k which is quite depressing...

Estate agents actually think this wreck could sell up to 250k. We'll see. Renovation can easily add 60-70k on the bill...

Can only hope we're towards the peak and some weakness will come in... but that could be a time away yet. Would be nice for the BTLers to get cold feet what with the tax changes. And then perhaps some opportunities. How much to be influenced by the EAs? They work for the sellers. It's certainly possible they're giving a honest view of what they expect it to sell for. It would make for a nice family home. I like to hold on to possibilities that circumstances can still deliver some value here and there, for those in position to act quickly if a lower offer accepted. Such as yourself.

Yes; the London line is one nice positive for Wilmslow. I have been the driver to take and collect loved ones from Wilmslow train station, down the bypass, quite a a few times during past two years, from Cheadle/Cheadle Hulme where I am currently living. If you need to take that journey on regular basis, then choosing to rent/buy in Wilmslow makes sense.

This sold for £265K in a nice part of Wilmslow, but again in need of some expensive improvements. Not so bad really, in this market, but then you have to add on modernising costs.

Needs a load of work, and I can't see it on streetview.

Looking forward to seeing more such homes come to market. MMR

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-31407888.html

They got £265,000 for it in the end. Priced it right (for the current market), got offers, sold quickly.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=31407888&sale=52134248&country=england

Anyway, good luck.

HOLA444

I wouldn't rule out Cheadle Hulme on the basis of the virgin trains not stopping there. It's literally 5 mins on the train from Cheadle Hulme to Stockport and you never wait more than around 10 mins to then get on the London train.

I would say it probably adds 15-20 mins to your total time journey. However, your options of which Londin trains you can take are significantly increased as they all stop at Stockport.

HOLA445

All so very true.

It's not often I have to go to London. I was allowing personal experience to get in the way of my post, with family members who can't be bothered to walk to make their way onto Stockport via other transport (inc CH train station), but hit me up for a car-ride... and they often prefer to go from (and be collected from) Wilmslow train station. Also I prefer driving on the Wilmslow than deep into Stockport side.

Church: This is great, this is just great! Thanks a lot, Caboose. Now what I'm supposed to do? My lower half is damaged.
Caboose: Why don't you try walking it off?
Church: I can't use my legs, moron.
Caboose: Oh, I see. ...Have you tried running?
Tucker: This doesn't seem like that big a deal. You hardly ever used your legs before anyway. I've never heard of a grown man asking for so many piggy-back rides.
Church: Hey, I already told you: that was for science.
Caboose: Why don't you just try walking on your hands? Then you could use your feet for high fiiiiives, and ...eatin' sandwicheeeees... and, you know, the important stuff.

-Red vs Blue.

Cheadle Hulme, Bramhall and Wilmslow are high in our target areas for eventually buying homes of our own, but as yet we're not quite ready to buy (this market).

Good luck.

HOLA446

Actually Sharpey you're right I've always travelled from Wilmslow never thought about that.

Venger, great thanks for all your advise!

What do you guys think of Macclesfield? I've been starting to look there in the last few days as it's great for transport and quite affordable.

HOLA447

Actually Sharpey you're right I've always travelled from Wilmslow never thought about that.

Venger, great thanks for all your advise!

What do you guys think of Macclesfield? I've been starting to look there in the last few days as it's great for transport and quite affordable.

I lived in Macclesfield for a couple of years around 10 years ago. It's a nice town with some lovely countryside on your doorstep. Bollington is worth looking at.

On the downside we did experience a bit a car vandalism while living there and the commute into Manchester is not great (traffic a nightmare if driving and the train is expensive).

We moved to Cheadle Hulme after Macc and personally I much prefer it. Horses for courses though.

Good luck wherever you decide is the place for you.

HOLA448

As I understand it, Macclesfield General Hospital serves Wilmslow, although their website suggests they have a number of out-patient clinics including one in Wilmslow.

So if you lived in Macclesfield you'd be closer to it.

Each time I've been up to Macclesfield, I have felt the air get cooler. I'm sensitive to such things. I just find it colder up that way, or at least it has been on the 5 or so occasions I've been up there.

Macclesfield General Hospital is at approx 508 feet / 155m above sea level. (much of Macclesfield appears to be in mid-high 400s ft, from evidence of tool on websites below)

Whereas that house in Wilmslow is at 272 feet / 83m above sea level. (and that's pretty average level for most of South Wilmslow imo)

http://www.freemaptools.com/elevation-finder.htm (first time I've used this as a source - my last source has gone offline)

http://www.daftlogic.com/sandbox-google-maps-find-altitude.htm(alternative)

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Train into Manchester is not that much more expensive than from Wilmslow and takes pretty much the same amount of time. Hubby can't drive to work anyway since there's at least a full year's wait on worksite parking space. For me its an OK daily drive to Wilmslow a regular 1:50 mins train to London. Shopping will be on the door step but I'll miss Hoopers and all the nice restaurants. Schools are good just not as good but that's a distant worry. I've thought about Cheadle Hulme but it's probably too residential for us.

Had lunch in a highly-rated pub today in the area and thought it was OKish. The streets look clean but I can see some empty properties around and rundown factories/businesses. Still haven't made my mind up.

HOLA4411

Great thanks for the advise.

We went to see this one and loved it.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/s6p/54504908

And so much cheaper than Wilmslow.

Not so sure about the area though...

viewed the solicitors next door when up for auction with I think Mellor Braggins last year.Had a fantastic galleried staircase, easy to convert to a private resi. But the gable end was falling away you could see daylight. so a project for the stout of heart.

If you are interested in the the property next door get a survey.

seem to remember it backs onto some factory units.

HOLA4412

viewed the solicitors next door when up for auction with I think Mellor Braggins last year.Had a fantastic galleried staircase, easy to convert to a private resi. But the gable end was falling away you could see daylight. so a project for the stout of heart.

You might be interested to hear that a neighbour bought it together with the 3 garages at the back. The work to convert it back to a home has just started.

HOLA4413

I'll get a survey if I decide to put in an offer. But still unsure. I did see an empty factory with broken windows on Churchill way which is a concern. But the back of the house was shielded by tall trees so couldn't really see beyond that.

HOLA4414

As I understand it, Macclesfield General Hospital serves Wilmslow, although their website suggests they have a number of out-patient clinics including one in Wilmslow.

So if you lived in Macclesfield you'd be closer to it.

Each time I've been up to Macclesfield, I have felt the air get cooler. I'm sensitive to such things. I just find it colder up that way, or at least it has been on the 5 or so occasions I've been up there.

Macclesfield General Hospital is at approx 508 feet / 155m above sea level. (much of Macclesfield appears to be in mid-high 400s ft, from evidence of tool on websites below)

Whereas that house in Wilmslow is at 272 feet / 83m above sea level. (and that's pretty average level for most of South Wilmslow imo)

http://www.freemaptools.com/elevation-finder.htm (first time I've used this as a source - my last source has gone offline)

http://www.daftlogic.com/sandbox-google-maps-find-altitude.htm(alternative)

In rough terms you lose 1 deg C for each increase of 100m altitude, other factors being equal

HOLA4415

In rough terms you lose 1 deg C for each increase of 100m altitude, other factors being equal

Hehe; I spent a few more minutes looking into it after I last posted on this thread, and one source suggested exactly the same thing as info you posted above!

(Also I played with that tool to see just how high most of central London is above sea-level... not so much.)

It's just I have my doubts it's limited to that alone, although I accept you post 'other factors being equal'. Mist and damp. (Maybe more of an effect with winds when they pick up, at higher altitude?). Heavier snow/ice conditions uphill. I am sensitive to it. Once lived very close by to Oldham football club for a time, and then a move to a house (not mine) at an even higher altitude.

Oldham Athletic: Boundary Park is anecdotally known as being the coldest ground in the Football League, earning the nickname coined by Joe Royle, Ice Station Zebra.[6] It is also the third-highest stadium, at 509 feet (155m) above sea level, of any Premier League or Football League club[7] after the Hawthorns, home of West Bromwich Albion, 551 feet (168m) and Vale Park, home of Port Vale, 525 feet (160m).

HOLA4416

Great thanks for the advise.

We went to see this one and loved it.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/s6p/54504908

And so much cheaper than Wilmslow.

Not so sure about the area though...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=34343573&sale=45994295&country=england

Sale Date: 04 Oct 2011 Price Paid: £294,000

Sale Date: 02 Feb 2006 Price Paid: £170,000

One difference for me is that in Wilmslow you don't get options of lots of surrounding 2 bed terraces from £85K-£120K in close surrounding part.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-55118273.html

HOLA4417

I know, hence the doubt. It's area vs house. And when we come to sell this house in the future we'll have to reply on people falling in love with the house rather than someone who wants to live in macc town center so its harder to sell.

HOLA4418

The solicitor's was sold for only £160k. I read the planning application documents which looked very reasonable. The gable end that you were talking about - was it the rear or the side?

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Just want to mention that we lost with our bid of 220,567 on the house in Lacey Green. Agent said that the other offers they received were significantly higher. This is just mad.

I don't know much about the area but I have friends a stone's throw away from that house.

I'm not surprised it went for more. Nice size plots around there. Fortunately, due to the area's reputation you don't get ******nuggets coming along and building a McMansion all the time.

Edited by 25 year mortgage 8itch

HOLA4422

Just want to mention that we lost with our bid of 220,567 on the house in Lacey Green. Agent said that the other offers they received were significantly higher. This is just mad.

Hmm eek. There will be other houses. Look at the overview; you are very well positioned for future market weakness. Yes I am trying to raise your spirits................

..... hmmm I've just noticed that we've had a discussion on a thread in 2013.... be prepared for more surprises imo, including flippers and BTLers coming undone.

Much has happened over one year and I'm now able to look back and reflect on the decisions we made.

Needless to say we bought a house near where I worked.

6 months ago I would have said that buying that house was the worst decision I made in my entire life, because I lost my job, a risk that some of you did point out to me at the time, although the unfortunate incidence was not due to my own failings but the employer cutting the entire project I was due to be placed on and with it 30% of it's workforce.

Although we did have savings to last us 5 years at least, the psychological burden of having two mortgages was very much unexpected and the lesson well learned.

[..]

in full from beginning

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/191402-to-buy-or-not-to-buy/

Edited by Venger

HOLA4423

Ha you digged that out! Both are sold now. We keep having to move for jobs and therefore was unable to keep the houses for too long. Problem is, renting sucks, especially since we have pets. We have rented for over a year now so quite keen to buy again. The plan is to stay somewhere for longer this time and if I have to travel for work I'll just travel without moving. We're not stretching ourselves which is the lesson learned. We can now buy with cash or with a little bit mortgage. The experience though is very different this time since we keep getting overbid by someone else. I'm not sure it feels like it's turning into a buyer's market anytime soon.

HOLA4424

I'm a contractor/work for my own consultanty so can't afford to not take a job elsewhere when work in my area dries up. Working from home is impossible because clients won't allow it. Unfortunately this means having to travel and live away from my family during the week or my family has to move with me which is difficult. Of course I can choose to take a break or take a permanent job but I don't know...the former seems lazy (I'd like to think I don't have such luxuries since I'm only 30) and the latter seems boring and not as well paid. There's always the option of converting to permanent I guess cus a number of companies have offered positions...Oh well. The sacrifice is the pain of being away or being stuck in rented accommodations. I think my husband and I just want to call somewhere home and make it our own - it adds purpose/joy to our lives. And I just need to harden myself and live like other contractors and not complain about travelling :-)

HOLA4425

Hey; I am not judging you. You work hard, prepared to travel for that work (my family doesn't like to), early 30s, and you seem to be in a very have solid financial position.

Are you aware of the proposed tax-changes with expenses for contractors? Might be worth keeping an eye on if you do a lot of travelling. I set it out on this thread.

With all the changes, including on BTL finance, it could turn soon (year or two). eg yesterday in the FT; Osborne shakes buy to let to its foundations - FT.com

Edited by Venger