House Price Crash Forum

What Is Renting Like These Days

Jonnybegood

HOLA441

When someone STRs I think its a big gamble especially when you have a family.

At the end of the day is money worth more than your family

Last and only time we rented was around 18 years ago when we were having our second home built, at the time it was only me and the missus and it only lasted 8 months.

Today I could never imagine us renting with 2 kids, school , friends etc as were we live I know of no rented properties within a 10 mile radius.

For those who do rent through choice or not what is it like today.

I hear many on here say that you have no worry about maintenance etc but in the 22 years of owning property I can count on both hands the number of times I have paid out purely for maintenance, in the main its been home improvements thats cost me then and now.

Its ok saying that if the boiler packs in the landlord will get it fixed, but what if he realistically says it will take him a week to sort it, get the parts etc, its the middle of winter what you gonna do?

If it happened to me I would have it fixed within a day for sure, but if I was renting I would not feel to happy paying out on someone elses boiler.

If I had to rent then I suppose I would accept the fact but those who rent out of choice thats one thing I could never do, At least once a year the wife is re deigning the garden or changing the look of the hallway, the kids bedrooms are painted in their chosen colours.

To many people these may seem like small things but to me its what makes a home, your personal touch....... Blinds , curtains.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

I didn't exactly sell to rent but ended up renting by default - anyway, it's working very well at the moment - certainly much cheaper than buying - i would prefer to own but it just doesn't make financial sense at present

HOLA445

It's fine. I have a problem, I call the landlord and he sends his very good handyman around. The handyman is a great guy who sorts everything quickly.

I spoke to the landlord today, the cheeky f*cker actually attempted to have a conversation with me. He sounded kind of desperate. I'm out of here in a few months, he doesn't know that yet.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
I didn't exactly sell to rent but ended up renting by default - anyway, it's working very well at the moment - certainly much cheaper than buying - i would prefer to own but it just doesn't make financial sense at present

Why do many state that they will not be buying until it becomes cheaper than renting, I know there was a time when this was the case but surely there should be premium on buying when at least at the end you get something to show for your hard earned cash.

HOLA449
If it happened to me I would have it fixed within a day for sure,

are you a plumber ? if not then you are being optomistic

At least once a year the wife is re deigning the garden or changing the look of the hallway, the kids bedrooms are painted in their chosen colours.

all of which you can do if you've got a decent landlord, not some jonnybegoodcomelately BLT numpty

To many people these may seem like small things but to me its what makes a home, your personal touch....... Blinds , curtains.

my kids prefer me to take them to Alton Towers rather than B&Q

HOLA4410
Why do many state that they will not be buying until it becomes cheaper than renting, I know there was a time when this was the case but surely there should be premium on buying when at least at the end you get something to show for your hard earned cash.

Are you a troll or just blind to the facts?

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Got to do your research. For openers don't touch newbuild for various reasons that are obvious.

If the landlord bought the place 20 years ago, has many and varied properties, charges about half what an IO mortgage would cost then you can assume that a) he's not about to sh1t it and sell from under you B) he's long time minted and thus there wil be a works pot held by the agent to perform day to day maintenance for his portfolio without bothering the landlord every two minutes.

Its also preferable that he lives miles away and rarely if ever visits. This means he's not likely to move into it himself any time soon and the laissez fair attitude will mean that he wants it let out for long term (look for landlords wanting a 12 month contract from the outset),

and welcomes tenants who might wish to settle in and make it their own.

All this information can be gathered from an agent and the land registry.

If you do go via a managing agent, make sure they aren't cowboys. A bad agent can make your renting experience a nightmare, even if the landlord is a diamond.

If you really like a place if possible talk to the neighbours. They will know the previous tenants and will love to spill all the gossip on why the last lot left etc.. This last bit of advice was a complete lifesaver for us as we nearly went for a place and got a real horror story from the neighbour regarding the place and the agents. Also you'll quickly discover if your neighbours are scum and the vibrant environs is actually a crack estate.

Truth be told you do sound a bit M Khan.

We threw out all the curtains (and nigh on all the lampshades) the week we moved in. :)

HOLA4413
I spoke to the landlord today, the cheeky f*cker actually attempted to have a conversation with me. He sounded kind of desperate. I'm out of here in a few months, he doesn't know that yet.

Hahaha. Well you sound like a survivor to say the least ;)

I wouldn't dismiss Johnnys points out of hand though. Without doubt I would prefer to own a property, though I'll be DAMNED before I pay a ridiculous price for one. If I have to rent before EMIGRATING THE F*** OUT OF HERE, then I will do so.

B)

Edited by Darkman

HOLA4414
Guest Shedfish
(gloat)

(gloat)

as long as the landlord and his familiar stay away it's great. and cheap. convenient for town. a bit too convenient for the main road. the view's nice, if derelict factories are your thing. and the ex still gives great head, even in a rented house!

the future's so bright, i got to buy blinds. thanks for asking

HOLA4415
It's fine. I have a problem, I call the landlord and he sends his very good handyman around. The handyman is a great guy who sorts everything quickly.

Probably only one person happier than you that your are moving on.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Last and only time we rented was around 18 years ago when we were having our second home built, at the time it was only me and the missus and it only lasted 8 months.

Today I could never imagine us renting with 2 kids, school , friends etc as were we live I know of no rented properties within a 10 mile radius.

I hear many on here say that you have no worry about maintenance etc but in the 22 years of owning property I can count on both hands the number of times I have paid out purely for maintenance, in the main its been home improvements thats cost me then and now.

Its ok saying that if the boiler packs in the landlord will get it fixed, but what if he realistically says it will take him a week to sort it, get the parts etc, its the middle of winter what you gonna do?

If it happened to me I would have it fixed within a day for sure, but if I was renting I would not feel to happy paying out on someone elses boiler.

If I had to rent then I suppose I would accept the fact but those who rent out of choice thats one thing I could never do, At least once a year the wife is re deigning the garden or changing the look of the hallway, the kids bedrooms are painted in their chosen colours.

It's funny you should say that, what happens when your kids can no longer afford a place too buy and the government takes away 40% of your wealth from your home, leaving your kids on the street unable to afford a home.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421