House Price Crash Forum

Department Of Homeland And Security Wants Master Key For Dns

dnd

HOLA441

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/87655

The US Department of Homeland Security (DHS), which was created after the attacks on September 11, 2001 as a kind of overriding department, wants to have the key to sign the DNS root zone solidly in the hands of the US government.

This move appears to be part of a bigger strategy posted here...

Project for the New American Century

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_for_t...merican_Century

...the controversial organization proposes military and economic space, cyberspace, and global domination by the United States

9/11 also gets a mention...

"Further, the process of transformation, even if it brings revolutionary change, is likely to be a long one, absent some catastrophic and catalyzing event — like a new Pearl Harbor." Some have used this quote as evidence for their belief the US government was complicit in the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

As does this little number...

"...advanced forms of biological warfare that can target specific genotypes may transform biological warfare from the realm of terror to a politically useful tool"

HOLA442
HOLA443

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_name_system

There is also significant disquiet regarding United States political influence over the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN). This was a significant issue in the attempt to create a .xxx Top-level domain and sparked greater interest in Alternative DNS roots that would be beyond the control of any single country.

HOLA444
HOLA445

Sorry, X-QUORK you seem to have made it onto my 'troll' list some time ago - I can't read what you've posted - I'm sure it's deep and meaningful

TBH in your case, I wouldn't click any of the links anyway as they don't have many pictures...

;)

HOLA446

Outrageous, megalomaniacal ba$£ards!!

BTW the WWW was a European invention - not US - so they aren't even attempting to control a product of their own design and making. It's Micr0$0ft and Apple all over again, but on a global scale and affecting the privacy and rights of every person on the planet! :o :angry: :ph34r:

They just can't help themselves - every move they make is almost calculated to alienate the rest of the world!

TD

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
Sorry, X-QUORK you seem to have made it onto my 'troll' list some time ago - I can't read what you've posted - I'm sure it's deep and meaningful

TBH in your case, I wouldn't click any of the links anyway as they don't have many pictures...

;)

:lol::lol:

HOLA4410
Outrageous, megalomaniacal ba$£ards!!

BTW the WWW was a European invention - not US - so they aren't even attempting to control a product of their own design and making. It's Micr0$0ft and Apple all over again, but on a global scale and affecting the privacy and rights of every person on the planet! :o :angry: :ph34r:

They just can't help themselves - every move they make is almost calculated to alienate the rest of the world!

I was told China is already making quiet grumblings each year (at whatever international convention on cooperation in internet use) that they aren't satisfied with the current system. All the projections show they'll eventually have most internet users, but the current system doesn't support them using their characters in URLs. The other countries have so far convinced them not to go "well fine, we'll make our own then", but human patience is ever a finite resource...

dnd,

Why do you have a picture of Gary Barlow as your avatar?

If my work buddies come over and see it, they are going to think I'm on some forum for gays

It is a little disturbing dnd.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
Guest X-QUORK

Lol...nice retort Gary. It's just such a shame your thread's deteriorated into other users laughing at your...ahem... 'manly' avatar, I can't for the life of me think why they haven't given your conspiracy theory a more considered response.

I guess we're all trolls eh? :rolleyes:

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Lol...nice retort Gary. It's just such a shame your thread's deteriorated into other users laughing at your...ahem... 'manly' avatar, I can't for the life of me think why they haven't given your conspiracy theory a more considered response.

I guess we're all trolls eh? :rolleyes:

Forget about the secondary conspiracy theories: the DNS issue is extremely serious - for the entire global community. America's proprietorial attitude toward the Internet is something that many dismiss or overlook because it all seems too technical, however it is another piece in the whole information ownership puzzle - they apparently want access to all and any information published. This has been demonstrated through their relatively recent legislation regarding information security, privacy and encryption keys, whereby they attempt to breach the confidentiality of any information accessed in the US by making all encryption keys available to the Gov and their agencies.

Ownership of information is a real problem affecting all of us... ownership and \or control of the Internet should NOT rest with one country. Ownership and control of the Internet's governing bodies should not rest with one country - for all our sakes.

(However, I've no idea what this has to do with UK houseprices?! ;) )

TD

HOLA4415
You might want to explain what DNS is - for the uninitiated.

It's God's Internet Switchboard.

Who controls DNS controls the internet. Pretty much.

The beauty of it though is that it wouldn't be too much of a chore to create a new DNS outside of US control.

So f*ck 'em.

Edited by adren

HOLA4416
Guest Bart of Darkness
"...advanced forms of biological warfare that can target specific genotypes may transform biological warfare from the realm of terror to a politically useful tool"

Providing no one else does it first of course. ;)

HOLA4417
The beauty of it though is that it wouldn't be too much of a chore to create a new DNS outside of US control.

Indeed. The Chinese could set up their own DNS and require ISPs operating in China to use it... though that wouldn't allow people outside of China to find Chinese sites unless they redirected their DNS queries.

Somehow I doubt that the world is going to be happy with America controlling DNS forever and the centralisation is a major security hole in any case.