House Price Crash Forum

I Really Want To Believe, But..

Warwickshire Lad

HOLA441
would it really be better the other way round ?

What, you mean, if men were allowed to take their partners for all they were worth in the event of a break-up? No, it would simply be skewed in men's favour, rather than against them.

i.e. the maternal view: "There is no way whatsoever to live with someone and have children and not run the risk of you and the children being reduced to penury....."

What?

Are pre-nuptual agreements legally binding in the UK ?

No. If you have one drawn up, a court will ignore it COMPLETELY in the event of a divorce.

kids don't always matter either. friend of mine had to give the house to his wife because she was wasn't working for the 2 years they were married. they had no kids.

I had no idea it had gotten that bad.

HOLA442
I had no idea it had gotten that bad.

well he was/is on 80k p.a. i don't know if that influenced the courts - probably did.

he got to keep the car - great!

by her own admission she just sat at home painting her toenails and having her hair done for the time that they were married - therefore had no future earning potential!

As I said no kids involved - so things seem worse than ever.

HOLA443
Guest wrongmove

i.e. the maternal view: "There is no way whatsoever to live with someone and have children and not run the risk of you and the children being reduced to penury....."

What?

What, what ?

I only substituted male for female from your own posting earlier zzg :rolleyes:

HOLA444

Classic quote about Agnets.

It's the time when they begin to realise that maybe they have been spoiled, that maybe they have had it too easy and that maybe they're about to learn a lesson. If they have never seen a crash, they might be like some American agents who once had bumper stickers saying, "Please give me one more real estate boom and I promise not to muck it up."

HOLA445
HOLA446
WM, where did I mention children? :rolleyes:

Knowing someone who has gone through Divorce recently, he agreed to continue paying the Mortgage (interest) until his children left home as part of the settlement. The mortgage was not very much but the equity was about 200K. He would then get half the equity on the sale of the house or either party could buy the other out at any mutually agreeable time.

Analysing his situation, I think he pays arround 250 a month interest, but at least he will have a share of the long term capital growth of the marital home. (10-12 years).

I think you can get a fair (ish) deal if you are prepared to fight you case. I think there are no set rules.

The courts claim that they do not wish to permanently deny a mans capital. Just give him a good kicking in the balls.

HOLA447
but now I intend to sit tight and watch all the BTL's squeal.

Once they see the light we can have something to call our own.they don't realise it yet but it's the bank's that own their souls!

BUY TO LET PERSPECTIVE:

Most B2L are pretty canny and the current trend is to seek out bargains - typically 1 bed flats with a vendor willing to take a low offer (can mean about 20% less that last Spring price).

Most B2L will not get burned and have plenty of emergency money to cover voids. Many B2L never get a void.

Rents are on the up according to local agents. This news will further attract B2L. I expect rental sector to grow for years to come.

B2L look at the rent due on thier actual capital outlay (example £20000 on a £80000 flat, gets about £450 pcm rent, but mortgage is only £260). Also we know we will enjoy capital growth 'somewhere down the line'.

This constant 'mopping - up' of cheap property will cause the market not to drop much further and may well reverse recent drops as FTBs get nervous that the market will pull away again.

Lets suppose B2L did pull out big time, where are they gonna put thier dosh? Certainly not pensions. Most of us have cash in Bank anyway so not wanting to put more cash in Bank. So we will simply continue with property as well as business investments.

Other NEW market drivers are;

Parents buying for kids

Lots of recent buyers are up to eyes in debt. Many of these will sell and rent so further increasing rent demand.

Lad - Im just trying to give you a more balanced view. Most people on this forum look at past market trends but for me this is a fundamental mistake as I believe the property market dynamics and drivers are completely different now.

Comparisons to dot com boom are for muppetts.

Good luck.

HOLA448
Knowing someone who has gone through Divorce recently, he agreed to continue paying the Mortgage (interest) until his children left home as part of the settlement. The mortgage was not very much but the equity was about 200K. He would then get half the equity on the sale of the house or either party could buy the other out at any mutually agreeable time.

If a couple can agree a financial settlement amongst themselves, a court will simply rubberstamp it. Your case above sounds like an amicable break-up, where the woman has not tried to screw the man for all he's got (legally speaking). However, if it is a woman's intention to financially ruin a man (ie the divorce is hostile/acrimonious) she is perfectly capable of doing so, aided and abetted by the courts.

The courts claim that they do not wish to permanently deny a mans capital

Whatever happened to property rights? I didn't realise we lived in a communist state where the state can seize and redistribute the individual's assets at will. :rolleyes:

HOLA449
HOLA4410
Guest wrongmove
WM, where did I mention children? :rolleyes:

You didn't of course. I did. You said

It seems there is no way whatsoever to live with someone in the UK and not run the risk of them reducing you to penury via the courts in the event of a break-up.

i.e. the male view.

I then reversed this to say

But would it really be better the other way round ?

i.e. the other way round. I also added that I have fallen foul of these laws myself, and asked you how old you were.

Clear now zzg :)

Apologies to everyone else, this has gone a long way off-topic :ph34r:

HOLA4411
You didn't of course

So why twist and distort what I said?

would it really be better the other way round ?

Yes, because it would be to men's advantage, not disadvantage.

I also added that I have fallen foul of these laws myself

So?

Clear now zzg

Crystal.

HOLA4412
Guest wrongmove
Yes, because it would be to men's advantage, not disadvantage.

That is the answer to the question I posed. I was just trying to work out where TF it is you are coming from.

I was not twisting your words, merely expressing a different opinion. I made it clear that I had reversed what you has said. Apologies for not agreeing with absolutely every one of your off-the-cuff utterances :P

BTW, how old are you ? Of course I respect your anonimity and privacy, but you have an opinion on everything. Are you a teenager or very old ?

HOLA4413
I was not twisting your words, 

I disagree.

What, what ?

I only substituted male for female from your own posting earlier

You did this and you threw children into the mix. It was not a straight inversion.

you have an opinion on everything

Doesn't everyone? :huh:

HOLA4414
You did this and you threw children into the mix. It was not a straight inversion.

I think ZZ is the real Dr Spok "It was not a straight inversion" "the only logical answer Captain".

HOLA4415
Guest muttley
I think ZZ is the real Dr Spok "It was not a straight inversion" "the only logical answer Captain".

Seeing as we're nit picking,that should read "Mr Spock" Dr.Benjamin Spock is an American Child Psychologist.

HOLA4416

does anyone know why pre-nups aren't upheld? what's the point of having one at all then?!

i'd also like to defend womankind and say that...

not all divorces are instigated by women

not every woman is looking to take a man to the cleaners

plenty of dads don't pay a bit to support their kids

plenty of women support their partners/husbands

peace.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
does anyone know why pre-nups aren't upheld? what's the point of having one at all then?!

i'd also like to defend womankind and say that...

not all divorces are instigated by women

not every woman is looking to take a man to the cleaners

plenty of dads don't pay a bit to support their kids

plenty of women support their partners/husbands

peace.

Thanks Chandellina,

my point exactly (see thread below about Dr Bubbs Anti advertising rant and you will see that you are wasting your breath defending women on here!)

There are plenty of women that stand on their own two feet man or no man.

PS I was once left in debt by a man who was prepared to let me pay for it all or risk being blacklisted for god knows how long.

HOLA4419

Pre-nups are actually an American phenomenon which has migrated to Britain via the public consciousness, the media, coverage of divorce cases in America in the UK media, etc, but actually have no force or existence in the British legal system. Simply put, this is like expecting Estonian law to apply in England; it doesn't.

funniest joke i've heard in ages

Let's not let this descend into a Battle-of-the-sexes round of mud-slinging please.

HOLA4420
Guest wrongmove
I disagree.

Doesn't everyone? :huh:

I substituted wife and kids for husband. Where did I say I had inverted it. And how can I twist your words ? They are printed above for anyone to see.

An no, not everyone has an opinion on everything. Of course not.

I have had to deal with the CSA, despite never having been married. This is the context of my opinion on this matter. What is your context zzg ?

HOLA4421
The Divorce laws are unfair, and a real impediment to marriage.

Too asymmetrical:

She decides to end the marriage, because her expectations are not being met in some way.  What happens: She keeps the house, the kids, and maybe gets some kind of monthly alimony.  He winds up in a bedsit.

Want to save time?:

Find a woman that you hate, and give her a house

:lol::lol::lol: