House Price Crash Forum

Reality Check Regarding Earnings

BoomBoom

HOLA441
HOLA442
Those arguing that there is affordability in the market seem to have a grossly distorted view of what people actually earn. Let's see just how distorted the overall view is.

Surely if I tick 'more than £30k per year' by default I am ticking the 2 boxes above it, since 30k is greater than 16k, 20k etc.???

Pedantically yours

Ad.

Edited by adamUK

HOLA443
Surely if I tick 'more than £30k per year' by default I am ticking the 2 boxes above it, since 30k is greater than 16k, 20k etc.???

Pedantically yours

Ad.

Well, no. It is implied that if you tick 16k, the ceiling for that bracket is 20k, if you tick 20k the ceiling for that bracket is 30k.

HOLA444
HOLA445
Those arguing that there is affordability in the market seem to have a grossly distorted view of what people actually earn. Let's see just how distorted the overall view is.

The average is around 23,500 I believe and this will be distorted by a relatively low number of very hig earners ie 1 person earning £1 million will take 100 people earning £12,000 (above the min wage) to make an average of just under 22,000 so the figure will obviously be below 23,500 (somebody voted for above 30??) and although ive just voted for 16,000+ after more thought think it must be lower at around 15,000. You have a good point Boom, it means this forum is out of touch with people on average salaries and affordability is much worse than they think.

HOLA446
HOLA447
Guest grumpy-old-man

the problem is Mr BB, the people that frequent this site are not really your average people are they?

dps - do vouchers count towards my total salary amount? ;)

HOLA448
the problem is Mr BB, the people that frequent this site are not really your average people are they?

dps - do vouchers count towards my total salary amount? ;)

I'm not entirely sure what the income demographic on this forum is. I would think people on lower incomes are likely to be more concerned with the current housing market than those on higher incomes.

HOLA449
I'm not entirely sure what the income demographic on this forum is. I would think people on lower incomes are likely to be more concerned with the current housing market than those on higher incomes.

I would set one up if I knew how - but how about a similar poll on HPCers earnings and how much 'they' are priced out? Its anonymous after all :ph34r:

HOLA4410
Guest grumpy-old-man

yes I suppose so, there is no right or wrong on this, only opinions as they say. :)

I'll click ther relevant button for you.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
It's been done before. 70% of the people on here earn over 30K

Correction - 70% of people here *claim* to earn over this figure. This forum certainly seems to have an inordinately high number of millionaires and international jet-setters. Call me a cynic, but I think some people aren't being entirely honest. Also got to factor in the EA's trolling the forum.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
What if person A earns 20,500 and person B earns 29,500?

There's no way to differentiate between the 2 salaries with your options, even though one of them is nearly a third more than the other.

It's designed to get a general impression of what people believe to be the financial reality of most people. It's not for people to post their actual earnings, so in the case you describe the person would select 30k as their assumed earning level for 50% of the population.

HOLA4418
Guest grumpy-old-man
Correction - 70% of people here *claim* to earn over this figure. This forum certainly seems to have an inordinately high number of millionaires and international jet-setters. Call me a cynic, but I think some people aren't being entirely honest. Also got to factor in the EA's trolling the forum.

:D:D

don't forget the qwerty warriors as well BB. ;)

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
lets cut to the chase, its going to turn out, according to some random article, that its less than we all thought thus proving that no one can buy a house. However houses are still being sold so obviously someone can still afford them...

Sure, on silly income multiples with IO mortgages and no plan to pay of the capital sum. But in your fantasy land people earning 15k a year don't exist do they?

HOLA4425
lets cut to the chase, its going to turn out, according to some random article, that its less than we all thought thus proving that no one can buy a house. However houses are still being sold so obviously someone can still afford them...

Can they afford them or can they borrow enough? That's why interest rates going up have such a lovely cooling effect - suddenly the amount people can borrow is reduced.