House Price Crash Forum

Service Sector To Face More Jobs Losses To Outsourcing

HOLA441

http://www.personneltoday.com/Articles/200...cing+deals.html

HR jobs under threat from outsourcing deals
14 November 2006 08:00
UK HR professionals face the prospect of being replaced by call centre staff in India and executives from other business functions as the sector undergoes
seismic changes
in the coming years.
A senior figure behind the move to India of
scores
of UK HR jobs at Lloyds TSB told Personnel Today that
many more will follow.

Once the service sector starts to crumble does Gordon have anything else to prop up his miracle economy? What then for highly indebted HPI'ers?

HOLA442
HOLA443

http://www.personneltoday.com/Articles/200...cing+deals.html

HR jobs under threat from outsourcing deals
14 November 2006 08:00
UK HR professionals face the prospect of being replaced by call centre staff in India and executives from other business functions as the sector undergoes
seismic changes
in the coming years.
A senior figure behind the move to India of
scores
of UK HR jobs at Lloyds TSB told Personnel Today that
many more will follow.

Once the service sector starts to crumble does Gordon have anything else to prop up his miracle economy? What then for highly indebted HPI'ers?

In fact I dont mind losing HR jobs to India, I can think of a lot of other occupations I would like to

see go as far away as possible. Can we put estate agents on a moon base?

HOLA444

Mervyn and Gordon are busy printing an ever increasing proportion of the labour market out of a job.

Watched an immigration program last night on how it is a myth that EE immigrants are only taking the jobs Brits would not want to do. They are also planning on staying here permanently and the rest repatriate the money to Poland. Lose-lose deal for the debt ridden and cashed strapped indigenous sheeple. If Gordon could engineer a swap with hard working and intelligent Poles for our Chavs etc., now that WOULD be a good deal. :)

In fact I dont mind losing HR jobs to India, I can think of a lot of other occupations I would like to

see go as far away as possible. Can we put estate agents on a moon base?

Funny you should mention that. With more and more real estate going online (eBay are growing rapidly in the US realestate market) the numbers of EA would plummet. Asda are getting in on the act and I am sure Tesco are thinking about it.

HOLA445

RB,

The sight of Digby Jones slathering at the propsect of undercutting wages was most ingratiating, not.

You have to wonder what goes through the minds of these people - oh, no problem we're just ditching a few employees, err hello when you are all it how many are going to be in a position to buy your products? :lol:

We are seeing the lowest common denominator approach to competition in the UK, minimum investment and get some cheap labour, well you are never going to get as cheap as the competition wage-wise and when the competition actually invest in their companies, tool up and increase their productivity then they will wipe the floor UK companies.

HOLA446

UK HR professionals face the prospect of being replaced by call centre staff in India and executives from other business functions as the sector undergoes seismic changes in the coming years.

On the one hand we demand our Pension providers produce high capital growth, on the other we critiscise the pressure they exert as shareholders on companies such as Lloyds to maximise the bottom line.

Which way do you want it?

Lower profits for the sake of saving UK jobs

or

Higher profits to benefit your pension?

HOLA447

RB,

The sight of Digby Jones slathering at the propsect of undercutting wages was most ingratiating, not.

Animal farm got a mention on the cartoon chart at the weekend. Those piggies are right charmers arne't they.

All animals are equal. UK residents good, EU residents better.

HOLA448

On the one hand we demand our Pension providers produce high capital growth, on the other we critiscise the pressure they exert as shareholders on companies such as Lloyds to maximise the bottom line.

Which way do you want it?

Lower profits for the sake of saving UK jobs

or

Higher profits to benefit your pension?

Gordon and Mervyn are eroding the real value of pensions far faster than any other factor - Gordon by stealing £5bn + year from them and Mervyn by via hidden inflation.

Savings within a company seem to concentrate in the area of executive pay for some strange reason.

Besides pensions as we and our parents know it will have gone for good soon:

http://business.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=1681562006

Final days for final salary pensions in sight

ALMOST half of all final salary pension schemes will close within five years, a report by Alexander Forbes Financial Services claims.

HOLA449

Gordon and Mervyn are eroding the real value of pensions far faster than any other factor - Gordon by stealing £5bn + year from them and Mervyn by via hidden inflation.

Savings within a company seem to concentrate in the area of executive pay for some strange reason.

Besides pensions as we and our parents know it will have gone for good soon:

http://business.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=1681562006

Final days for final salary pensions in sight

ALMOST half of all final salary pension schemes will close within five years, a report by Alexander Forbes Financial Services claims.

Still doesnt answer my question;

Do we want better performing pensions AND INVESTMENTS or would we accept reduced performance in return for safeguarding UK jobs?

HOLA4410

Still doesnt answer my question;

Do we want better performing pensions AND INVESTMENTS or would we accept reduced performance in return for safeguarding UK jobs?

OK on that specific point I am questioning the long term perfomance of those pensions and investments in a background where people without jobs (or financially strapped by lower wages AND much much higher debt) are able to purchase the goods and services on which those pensions and invesments are based. Might look good for the moment, but this looks like a snake chewing its tail for nourishment.

HOLA4411

Just boycott or tax the companies that off-shore jobs that were originally in the UK, Barclays, BT, Norwich Union, the list goes on...

These jobs will keep on disappearing, until there is very little left. How easy is it going to pay the 150k mortgage when you're joint income is just over £12 an hour, because the decent jobs have all gone?

Then again.... everything is going to be Ok - The Labour government told us!!!

HOLA4412

Just boycott or tax the companies that off-shore jobs that were originally in the UK, Barclays, BT, Norwich Union, the list goes on...

Thats fine, but then you must back this sentiment up with action.

For example; Dont shop around for insurance as this puts pressure on companies to reduce thier costs.

Dont seek out the cheapest on - line DVDs.

Dont try and reduce your gas bill by switching supplier.

HOLA4413

For example; Dont shop around for insurance as this puts pressure on companies to reduce thier costs.

they will still do it, no matter what you do. The only way to do it is to say when they phone you up" i do not wish to buy anything from a call center out of england, if you were based in the uk, then i would have"

Edited by crash2006

HOLA4414

RB Posted:

Watched an immigration program last night on how it is a myth that EE immigrants are only taking the jobs Brits would not want to do. They are also planning on staying here permanently and the rest repatriate the money to Poland. Lose-lose deal for the debt ridden and cashed strapped indigenous sheeple. If Gordon could engineer a swap with hard working and intelligent Poles for our Chavs etc., now that WOULD be a good deal.

Oh yes indeed !!

HOLA4415

I've been with the same insurer and energy supplier for 6+ years, I do however buy CD's from Play.com as I don't want to pay £14.99 in the highstreet when I can get the same disc for £7.99..... would you?

Anywhoo - I see what you're implying and it makes sense.

HOLA4416

It's not just the outsourcing of HR functions for Service Sectors and final salaries.

Rumour has it GB has an announcement to make come 2007 in respect of local govt - one we've know about for awhile now - we're all mereging into one big group - resulting in job losses (there are many out there cheering, I know) ....

And then it's also rumoured - but someone has a paper somewhere otherwise it wouldn't be rumour - that GB has decided when he succeedss TB - he will cut final salary payments to all LG jobs. Not Civil Servants but just LG once they are merged. It will apply to all irrespective of age and service.

Many on this forum will cheer - but I work with many who thought that by working for a very low salary compared to the outside world was worth it because they were working for the benefit of the council and hence people they come in to contact with but also that for that sacrifice - would get at least a pension based on their £26k per year. I know many who could have earnt 30K plus outside but felt it was a better option for reasons above to stay put.

It is so sad that GB has put this in to practice before he's even PM - but no-one knows about it.

Why is it so secret when those of us in the public sector know it's coming?

Oh, then apparently, after the merger and down-grading of pensions - we'll be outsourced - having migrated all the IT systems to communicate with all NHS/Police etc - and that will be switched to India.

How does this govt get away with it?

HOLA4417

If you merge all the local authority roles that arent location critical..arent you just effectively a branch of central govt in all but name?

By the way l dont particularly cheer where it is going although something has to break lm afraid. This country is a walking bankrupt. Be interesting to see how the jobless figures will stack up when it happens!

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Sorry, I just don't accept that public sector wages are lower than private sector rates- in many cases the reverse is true.

There are many, many people who worked hard in their private sector jobs who have reached retirement and been told by some bean counter at their pension company that thnings didn't go as well as hoped for so the projected pension income is no where near what we told you". If you've been paying into a pension on the basis that you are going to get X but only end up with Y then it's a real scandal.

What would be even more of a scandal is for local governement and other public sector workers to hang onto what they were promised when the economics to pay for it don't add up.

Do I want to work longer and pay more tax so someone else at town hall can get what they were "promised"?- what do people in the private sector get out of this exactly? Who is going to ride to my rescue if my pension goes t!ts up?

HOLA4420

Those that work in Local Government are all part of the Blair Job creation scheme.

My Brothers partner works for a local authority, started as a YTS, then moved around departments.

She is on a management training programme, loads of courses at £2,000 each for five days training, hotel and expenses.

Recently won a department award for spending three months full time designing the departments Christmas Card using Desk Top Publishing Software!!!!.

HOLA4421

I work with many who thought that by working for a very low salary compared to the outside world was worth it because they were working for the benefit of the council and hence people they come in to contact with but also that for that sacrifice - would get at least a pension based on their £26k per year. I know many who could have earnt 30K plus outside but felt it was a better option for reasons above to stay put.

No offence, but I hear this a lot from people I know in meaningless "jobs" in the public sector. The simple fact of the matter is they're not there because of any sense of public service, they're there because they'd be unemployable in the real world of the private sector.

Edited by Smarter than the average bear