House Price Crash Forum

Britain Less Happy Than In The 1950's -

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
Guest Winners and Losers

I wonder if they did an level of expectation chart. I bet that would have jumped up considerably. I saw a survey in a school magazine that 6 out of 10 children expect to become famous when they're older - you're setting yourself up there for a bit of a fall - no wonder we're a bunch of miseries!

Is it the media or the parents that influence kids in this way?? I think it is that so much emphasis is placed on the money associated with being famous (football players etc). Many famous people of the 50's died virtually penniless.

HOLA444
Guest Charlie The Tramp

In the late 50s as we began to leave the austerity of the post war years people could see a bright future and a share in the country`s future prosperity. Better housing, wages and conditions, and the grip of the establisment being cut and weakened. The rest is history. ;)

HOLA445

The irony of this is that as we become allegedly more multicultural, we become more of a monoculture - a culture in which the pursuit of money and material goods is the be-all and end-all. And what are all the most recent immigrants here for? Yup, you guessed it - to make as much money as they can.

What a sad one-dimensional society we are, when the only recipe for well-being is make as much as you can by any means possible. And the price of not participating is living in some sh!thole tugging the forelock to some sh!t-for-brains slumlord.

B*gg*r. The sniffer's back from work. Got to turn up the hi-fi to drown him out.

HOLA446
Guest Winners and Losers

B*gg*r. The sniffer's back from work. Got to turn up the hi-fi to drown him out.

:lol::lol:

HOLA447

ESB. Electrical Stimulation of the Brain.

They found a part of the brain in rats that, when stimulated, would reward the rats' behaviour so strongly that they would do anything to get that ESB back. They would keep on pressing a lever etc etc, even if it meant they starved to death.

Now, I guess the rats were pretty happy. But I don't want to live anything like that, and I don't want New Labour or anyone else deciding how to make me "happy", as if that's even all that important to me.

HOW ABOUT making my basic cost of living cheaper so that I don't need the government/"think tanks"/psychologists butting in to tell me how to live my life. Prats.

HOLA448
Guest muttley

They found a part of the brain in rats that, when stimulated, would reward the rats' behaviour so strongly that they would do anything to get that ESB back. They would keep on pressing a lever etc etc, even if it meant they starved to death.

Are you sure you've got the right organ, Rich?

HOLA449

Now, I guess the rats were pretty happy. But I don't want to live anything like that, and I don't want New Labour or anyone else deciding how to make me "happy", as if that's even all that important to me.

HOW ABOUT making my basic cost of living cheaper so that I don't need the government/"think tanks"/psychologists butting in to tell me how to live my life. Prats.

Are we talking cocaine?

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
Guest Winners and Losers

Maybe I should look there to see which way WAL swings.

What its not obvious? Shakers way of course. :ph34r::unsure:

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

What a sad one-dimensional society we are, when the only recipe for well-being is make as much as you can by any means possible.

"One Dimensional Man" by Herbert Marcuse.

Influenced me when young.

Edited by Mushroom

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

To a certain extent money is happiness. If you only have enough to pay your bills then you're basically working to stay alive and you end up feeling consumed by bitterness and resentment that you're forced to sell your time for such a low price that you can't afford any pleasures in the time that you don't spend working. Soaring living costs combined with stagnating wages are seeing to it that more and more of the UK's populaton are becoming caught in this trap. This is why I'm slowly working towards being self-employed doing something I love... If I'm going to be badly paid it has to be doing something I love and if the pensions crisis really does dictate that we'll all work until the day we die (public-sector workers excluded no doubt), then, again, I want to ensure I'm doing something I love. Perhaps above the level of having everything we need and a bit of what we want money is irrelevant to happiness, but certainly not below that level.

HOLA4422
Guest Winners and Losers

Well I have always believed : MONEY <> HAPPINESS

So whats the point of the article? :rolleyes:

I have always believed : SHAKER <> HAPPINESS :rolleyes:

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

i am much richer than i was 10 years ago, but i was happier then. money just makes everything free. if you want this - you get it. if you need that. you buy it. if you want to go somewhere - i just go.

despite all these things and a brand new new mercedes (delivered friday). im pretty miserable.

the car is simply pressed flacid steel and the things you by cant talk to you. well somethimes they do, but i ignore what they say.

HOLA4425
Guest pioneer31

i am much richer than i was 10 years ago, but i was happier then. money just makes everything free. if you want this - you get it. if you need that. you buy it. if you want to go somewhere - i just go.

despite all these things and a brand new new mercedes (delivered friday). im pretty miserable.

the car is simply pressed flacid steel and the things you by cant talk to you. well somethimes they do, but i ignore what they say.

same here

I have much more money than 10 years ago, yet because of house prices, it goes no further.

I think happiness comes from lots of things. Money doesn't make you happy.........but lack of it to the extent that your life becomes an existence, definitely makes you miserable

Edited by pioneer31