House Price Crash Forum

Wages are starting to crash, how long before houses are affected

HOLA441
49 minutes ago, shlomo said:

all of us have high blood pressure, one has just had a triple bypass, one is obese and has diabetes type 1, I have diabetes t2 and the other al has t2

Precisely, you'd fit right in then. 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
38 minutes ago, Orb said:

Precisely, you'd fit right in then. 

lol

HOLA443
1 hour ago, Stewy said:

I bet only one in a thousand of 55+ y/o know who do a clever Vlookup+concatenate combination, or Averageifs.. ✓ 

Is this what you’re using to predict interest rates and yields ? 

HOLA444
1 hour ago, clarkey said:

But the government wants us all to work til 70 so even at 55 there is still 15 years odd left

It sounds like there are going to be a lot more people signing on then in the near future.

HOLA445
On 26/03/2024 at 16:53, Maghull Mike said:

That's a very good pointer, i recall when 2008 came along & the crash arrived the Hookers on "Audit Work.com" cut their fees by 50% almost over night....

🤣😂🤣

HOLA446
9 hours ago, A.steve said:

Typing one letter per second sounds hyperbolic...  almost hypersonic.  An average letter is about 500 words long - so that would require keys to be pressed at about 3kHz.

If a candidate were useless at Excel, in line with mainstream IT opinion, I'd see that as correlating positively with IT competence.  The last thing any business needs is someone who, faced with (almost any) tasks, turns to Excel while presuming this will result in a quality outcome.  If you disagree with me, perhaps you can post an Excel scatter plot showing the correlation between the use of Excel and incompetent disasters that resulted in substantial loss.   For bonus marks, you could embed it into a PowerPoint presentation to ensure optimum credibility - alongside a scatter plot demonstrating the correlation between PowerPoint presentations and business failures.

With Excel there is excellent visibility and replicability - impossible with some bassment-dwelling spaghetti-code writer who "only drinks full fat Coke bro". 

HOLA447
11 hours ago, Stewy said:

They can only type one letter per second and are likely useless at Excel. ✓

it’s patronising attitudes like this which  irks me . Very narrow minded and regressive .

I’m 55 . I can touch type . Have engineering degree / Masters . Run 4 times per week . advanced pivot features are child’s play , same as Macros / Vlookup  . Can dig through 1000’s of lines of C/C+ to debug if requested . Got human / life skills to lead 250+ degree/masters/pHD’s scattered around the the globe .  Can also read a map which most in their 20-40’s wouldn’t have a clue how to do . 
I’m nowhere near unique there’s loads in my age range -  some older where I work and many other places. 

the idea that over 50’s are some geriatric , low performing ,behind the curve , is nonesense .

I’d also cite that we didn’t grow up with our brains being hard-wired to talk in short sentences and skim read from a screen. Quite the opposite , we’re brought up to learn how to think, analyse , concentrate and keep attentive without the need for some electrical distraction . 

HOLA448
9 minutes ago, Johnno1167 said:

it’s patronising attitudes like this which  irks me . Very narrow minded and regressive .

<snip>

I’d also cite that we didn’t grow up with our brains being hard-wired to talk in short sentences and skim read from a screen. Quite the opposite , we’re brought up to learn how to think, analyse , concentrate and keep attentive without the need for some electrical distraction . 

Amen brother. Some very weird attitudes on here from what appear to be younger cohorts who think they know everything.

HOLA449
52 minutes ago, dpg50000 said:

Amen brother. Some very weird attitudes on here from what appear to be younger cohorts who think they know everything.

When you think you know everything, it’s a sure sign that you don’t. ✔️

HOLA4410
3 hours ago, Johnno1167 said:

I’m 55 . I can touch type . Have engineering degree / Masters . Run 4 times per week . advanced pivot features are child’s play , same as Macros / Vlookup  . Can dig through 1000’s of lines of C/C+ to debug if requested . Got human / life skills to lead 250+ degree/masters/pHD’s scattered around the the globe .  Can also read a map which most in their 20-40’s wouldn’t have a clue how to do . 
I’m nowhere near unique there’s loads in my age range -  some older where I work and many other places. 

the idea that over 50’s are some geriatric , low performing ,behind the curve , is nonesense .

Top post. Thank you.

HOLA4411
5 hours ago, Stewy said:

With Excel there is excellent visibility and replicability - impossible with some bassment-dwelling spaghetti-code writer who "only drinks full fat Coke bro". 

I recognise that, once you have been taught about the existence of spreadsheet software, every problem starts to look like a spreadsheet to you.  Unless the task at hand is utterly trivial (where pencil and paper could well be a better fit) the visibility and replicability will be of disasters blamed on IT.  Perhaps there are circumstances where this is a benefit (e.g. risk management in regulated industries - where the real objective is plausible deniability) - but, on the whole, the probability of Excel being an appropriate tool, for the task at hand, is very small.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
12 minutes ago, Frankie Teardrop said:

You can learn 95% of Excel's features in a week or two of self learning if you're not a feckwit. It's not rocket surgery.

There's learning features, and then learning how/when to use them.

PowerBI was all the rage 2 years ago and all manner of inappropriate nonsense was bundles into that...

HOLA4414
14 minutes ago, Stewy said:

There's learning features, and then learning how/when to use them.

PowerBI was all the rage 2 years ago and all manner of inappropriate nonsense was bundles into that...

CodeWarrior is all I need.