House Price Crash Forum

Lifestyle Business....

HOLA441
2 hours ago, Pop321 said:

It’s like buying a job....why would anyone ‘buy a job’ when most of us want a job to get paid to buy other stuff.

We viewed a B&B about 25 years ago when work was starting to get harder albeit with better pay. 

I was naive, ill informed, unresearched and looking for a change. And I was a whizz on computers😉

We viewed, thought about it for 2 minutes and I then knuckled down at work because it seemed a whole lot easier. I had paid holidays, weekends off and was better paid. 

Running a B&B is fine if it is what you love. I question why anyone would love it but we are all different. 

As for those in the mid 50’s wanting the idyllic lifestyle....hmmm, perhaps they haven’t had a hard enough job in the past to know what hard work is really like. 

Exactly,

Factor in the risk of competition and failure and that the job provided by that evil boss is no so bad.

I see nothing wrong with buying a job per se but the issue is paying  near a million £ to buy a crap job.

Its like the dozens of houses around here 1 million + with a air BNB/flatlet inside in them.  Nice little earner if the house is normal as i think 7000£ if you rent a room allowance (or something like that)

However 1 million £ house+, with good looking wife and the kids running about......do you really want strangers coming in there risk/reward ratio.

Imagine you could actually afford a million £ house and had a 200K + a year job would you really bother to take that risk?

I was always told that under 1 million £ (probably 1.5 now) a swimming pool can devalue a house.

I would imagine a home brew business has the opposite effect and what is a bonus becomes a drawback (or not worth paying extra for) the higher priced you go.

Edited by Fromage Frais

HOLA442
4 minutes ago, Fromage Frais said:

However 1 million £ house+, with good looking wife and the kids running about......do you really want strangers coming in there.

Totally agree with your post apart from this bit - in my experience the buyers are often stressed out dual income couples - beauty takes looking after male or female

More typically a couple who met at uni and are more like brother and sister now - the good looking wife is more readily found as the working part time partner of someone with their own business or in the £5 million+ house where she doesn't really need to work

HOLA443
1 hour ago, GregBowman said:

In that respect the same as the vast majority of people who run a business. 3.5 million sole traders (59% of total)

Of the rest:

1-9 employees 1,155,385  
10-49 employees 211,295  
50-249 employees 35,585  
250 or more employees 7,685  

Therefore if you add in the 1-9 employees and assume many have far less than employees than 9 ( also add in many have the wife and or kids on the books)

Nearly 95% have created a job not a business 

Completely agree because that is all they want....a job, they create their own work, are their own boss, own their own time, got a life......very flexible, most people don't have the guts to do it, others have no other choice or have carefully weighed up the pros and cons......minimum slave worker or freedom and potential to bloom and prosper.....;)

HOLA444
2 hours ago, GregBowman said:

In that respect the same as the vast majority of people who run a business. 3.5 million sole traders (59% of total)

Of the rest:

1-9 employees 1,155,385  
10-49 employees 211,295  
50-249 employees 35,585  
250 or more employees 7,685  

Therefore if you add in the 1-9 employees and assume many have far less than employees than 9 ( also add in many have the wife and or kids on the books)

Nearly 95% have created a job not a business 

Agree. Won’t over elaborate a point you have already made with lots of examples but I see some people are working away for peanuts running their ‘business’ whereas others find themselves in the top 1% financially enjoying running a neat efficient business. 

HOLA445
20 hours ago, Fromage Frais said:

Exactly,

Factor in the risk of competition and failure and that the job provided by that evil boss is no so bad.

I see nothing wrong with buying a job per se but the issue is paying  near a million £ to buy a crap job.

Its like the dozens of houses around here 1 million + with a air BNB/flatlet inside in them.  Nice little earner if the house is normal as i think 7000£ if you rent a room allowance (or something like that)

However 1 million £ house+, with good looking wife and the kids running about......do you really want strangers coming in there risk/reward ratio.

Imagine you could actually afford a million £ house and had a 200K + a year job would you really bother to take that risk?

I was always told that under 1 million £ (probably 1.5 now) a swimming pool can devalue a house.

I would imagine a home brew business has the opposite effect and what is a bonus becomes a drawback (or not worth paying extra for) the higher priced you go.

It’s an accurate distinction you make and I agree. £1m for a crap job is very different from a taxi driver who buys a plate for £10k and then earns £40k a year. 

I would not do either....but one definitely makes sense for some people whereas the £1m investment just seems wrong. 😉

Edited by Pop321
Would NOT do either 🤦🏻‍♂️

HOLA446
5 hours ago, winkie said:

Completely agree because that is all they want....a job, they create their own work, are their own boss, own their own time, got a life......very flexible, most people don't have the guts to do it, others have no other choice or have carefully weighed up the pros and cons......minimum slave worker or freedom and potential to bloom and prosper.....;)

Trouble is they don't get a life neither fish nor fowl - I think your picture is a tad on the rosy specced side

HOLA447
12 hours ago, GregBowman said:

Trouble is they don't get a life neither fish nor fowl - I think your picture is a tad on the rosy specced side

Agreed not easy......nobody said it would be easy....... don't try will never find out. Fear of failure and loss?;)