Guest Homer

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

I think the problem is clear from looking at the schedule.

BEDROOM: 9’10” x 11’0” BEDROOM:9’10” x 8’0” BEDROOM:12’0” x 9’4”BEDROOM:8’10” x 6’7”

That last one is no more than a glorified cupboard and the others are not much better.

I'm trying to avoid schadenfraude as ive just bought (circumstances dictated it).

HOLA448

As far as I can see, the problem is as follows...

To afford a £240K house, you need to be one of the following:

A: Someone young on a massive salary with little or no deposit.

B: Someone older on a decent salary with a massive deposit (tied up in their existing house).

A is likely to be a yuppy who has no interest in a house like that when the same money will buy them a two-bed loft apartment and a Porsche.

B is likely to be someone in their 40s or 50s who's slowly climbed the ladder at work and in the property world and is likely to have bought a much nicer house for much less ten years ago.

That house is worth £120K IMO.

Edited by Bingley Bloke

HOLA449

Its not just that. The next door neighbour told him a big fat porky about how much he got for the house, and the guy has been basing his expectations on someone else bigging himself up. Another poster looked up houseprices and the only one he could find was 197K. Being able to find out what properties have sold for has had a huge impact on the power of buyers. EAs can no longer lie and get away with it to ramp up expectations.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

He believes one sold for £240k but looking on nethouseprices I can't find anything for that road, I've checked against the postcode and didn't find anything either (PO6 1AJ?).

It may not have sold at all, he just saw a board go up and down and assumed the rest.

08 Apr 2005 106 Old Rectory Road, Portsmouth, Portsmouth PO6 1AJ Semi-Detached £195,000 FH

13 Jul 2004 88 Old Rectory Road, Portsmouth, Portsmouth PO6 1AJ Semi-Detached £249,950 FH

25 Jun 2004 74 Old Rectory Road, Portsmouth, Portsmouth PO6 1AJ Semi-Detached £225,000 FH

27 Feb 2004 108 Old Rectory Road, Portsmouth, Portsmouth PO6 1AJ Semi-Detached £198,000 FH

HOLA4414

08 Apr 2005 106 Old Rectory Road, Portsmouth, Portsmouth PO6 1AJ Semi-Detached £195,000 FH

13 Jul 2004 88 Old Rectory Road, Portsmouth, Portsmouth PO6 1AJ Semi-Detached £249,950 FH

25 Jun 2004 74 Old Rectory Road, Portsmouth, Portsmouth PO6 1AJ Semi-Detached £225,000 FH

27 Feb 2004 108 Old Rectory Road, Portsmouth, Portsmouth PO6 1AJ Semi-Detached £198,000 FH

Thanks and ouch, so he could have pulled it off if he was smart about it!

Obviously in 2002 he was asking way too much then took it off in December 2003 and missed the craziest part of the cycle, only to drop the property back on the market after the dust had settled and things were too late, and again at an unrealistic new price.

It seems he's missed the boat and is essentially chasing the market down, anything south of £200k would be the best he can hope for.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Had a look at that site, man does it need a dose of realism or what? There another thread related to this one where people are saying change your carpets blah blah blah. This site is actually worse than C4 Homes, people spewing rubbish about how buying is better than renting.

I think we all need to pay a visit to inject some balance and common sense!

Edit:

Well I've gone there and done my bit - see if you can spot the post ;):lol:

Edited by mustrum_ridcully

HOLA4417

Classic reading. It's a good insight into the mind of a sheeple in a stale market - "I don't want to just give the house away". LOL. Since when has £200k been a giveaway? Honestly, Portsmouth is a total dump. I visit my friend who goes to University down there every now and again, and every time I can't wait to get out of there. It's so grim!