House Price Crash Forum

Tenants in England not being protected from revenge evictions, study finds

HOLA441
HOLA442

Of course not...anyone that thought that legislation could prevent revenge evictions was being very naïve.  This is about who holds power...and only when tenants have more power will this kind of abuse stop.  Power comes through market dynamics just as it does in the labour market.  Shortage of tenants and plentiful housing available = less revenge evictions. 

HOLA443

I was Section 21'd because I dared to insist on my legal right to move to statutory periodic tenancy. Agent didn't like that (no juicy renewal fee from me and landlord) but was not classed as illegal as revenge eviction only covers open disputes over disrepair, not for general agent tenant milking practices. 

Was given the option to nullify Section 21 if only I would do what agent demanded and pay the renewal fee. I declined. Was the nudge I needed to get out of London anyway

HOLA444
59 minutes ago, Wayward said:

Of course not...anyone that thought that legislation could prevent revenge evictions was being very naïve.  This is about who holds power...and only when tenants have more power will this kind of abuse stop.  Power comes through market dynamics just as it does in the labour market.  Shortage of tenants and plentiful housing available = less revenge evictions. 

Plenty of houses available on rightmove last time I checked 

HOLA445
1 hour ago, sammersmith said:

I was Section 21'd because I dared to insist on my legal right to move to statutory periodic tenancy. Agent didn't like that (no juicy renewal fee from me and landlord) but was not classed as illegal as revenge eviction only covers open disputes over disrepair, not for general agent tenant milking practices. 

Was given the option to nullify Section 21 if only I would do what agent demanded and pay the renewal fee. I declined. Was the nudge I needed to get out of London anyway

That could be down to "we want predictable income for the year and those fees" rather than revenge, so could be construed as purely a business decision. Still crap though, IMO short term tenancies should only exist where you're definitely expecting to only be there short term (e.g. a student), any others should automatically turn permanent after the initial period with no evictions possible other than for enough damage done or enough rent non-payment.

HOLA446

Quite impressive how quickly the private tenants' rights movement is moving now. Deposits protected, letting agent fees for tenants being abolished in a few weeks, S21 already gone in Scotland and Wales and looking endangered in England. After 40 years of neoliberalism people are tired of insecurity and want the government to drive the scammers and bullies out of the property market.

HOLA447
23 hours ago, thewig said:

Plenty of houses available on rightmove last time I checked 

Maybe...but shame not enough.  Are you really saying LL's will revenge evict if likely their 'investment' will stand empty for years after doing so because "plenty of houses available..."

I think you will find they will revenge evict because they know they won't have much difficulty filling it again.

I do wonder where you are because such comments make me doubt that we are observing the same market.