HOLA441
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
5 minutes ago, prozac said:

I agree with you but then how would we pay for our imported goods

By exporting our own goods and services (or producing locally). 

Obviously, any sudden change to the economy is likely to produce a short term shock, whether the change is positive or negative, so that’s not a reasonable objection to changes in a damaging status quo.   The sensible long term goal is clear - we need an economy that inhibits rent seeking and promotes wealth generation. Selling off our own productive land is short term thinking of the worst kind. 

It’s not as if the day of reckoning is sometime down the road either. Generations born after about 1980 are poorer right now because we treat land as a speculative financial asset. 

HOLA443
4 minutes ago, BorrowToLeech said:

By exporting our own goods and services (or producing locally). 

Obviously, any sudden change to the economy is likely to produce a short term shock, whether the change is positive or negative, so that’s not a reasonable objection to changes in a damaging status quo.   The sensible long term goal is clear - we need an economy that inhibits rent seeking and promotes wealth generation. Selling off our own productive land is short term thinking of the worst kind. 

It’s not as if the day of reckoning is sometime down the road either. Generations born after about 1980 are poorer right now because we treat land as a speculative financial asset. 

We do not value engineers or scientists 

I do not believe we have what it takes anymore 

HOLA444
27 minutes ago, localhero1983 said:

I might hate it, but marketing these days is an art form, some say the new God

That’s true for someone like, say, Apple who have to persuade you that their phone is better than a largely identical rival. 

Neoliberalism has no rival. There are no voices arguing against landlording or globalisation of the labour market, or any one of the basic principles of our dominant ideology.  The people in power don’t have to be clever, they just don’t allow dissenting voices to be heard.

This, incidentally, is why identity politics is becoming dominant.  If you’re a bank, say, then arguments about, for example, the rights of transsexuals has no negative impact on your bottom line. So people are more free to express an opinion on those issues.

In most cases, ‘left-wing’ identity politics is quite good for business, since it expands the labour force and supports globalisation. Whereas right-wing identity politics suits people who want political power.  

The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum....

Edited by BorrowToLeech

HOLA445
3 minutes ago, prozac said:

We do not value engineers or scientists 

I do not believe we have what it takes anymore 

Sadly this is true, but I don’t think it is irreversible.  It’s not that we don’t have such people, it’s just that we pay them to waste their time working for banks, or management consulting firms.

That could change. 

Also, the status of science (and to a lesser extent engineering) is exaggerated.  Creativity and invention is not confined to those fields. 

HOLA446
HOLA447
1 hour ago, Fromage Frais said:

Thats what caused brexit in the first place.

They could only do the first lot because everyone was doing it and the USA had already crashed and was taking its own actions.

Doing that jiggery pokery when inflation and rates are rising is going to end in violence as people will directly feel it this time with (even worse then now) inflation.

It will be blamed on Brexit, the will of the people and all that.

Apparently people were happy to get poorer if that was the price of regaining our imagined sovereignty

HOLA448
6 hours ago, localhero1983 said:

There are many countries around the world who are selective who they let and buy their property, if you critical in the UK about Johnny Foreigner buying up UK homes you are a lowlife racist, yet these same lefty people who brand people racists are quite happy for a North sentinelese tribe to shoot and arrow into someones neck for daring to set foot on their land, because in their words "they are trying to hold onto a way of life", you really could not make it up.

Actually, the reason for protecting the land of that isolated tribe is that, having not had contact with civilisation, they have no immunity to diseases we couldn't care less about. Contact with civilisation would most likely wipe them all out - it's how native Americans were almost wiped out.

Feel free to begin here

Relevant quote:

"A specific example was Cortes' invasion of Mexico. Before his arrival, the Mexican population is estimated to have been around 25 to 30 million. Fifty years later, the Mexican population was reduced to 3 million, mainly by infectious disease."

That's why "civilised" people aren't allowed there - they'd unwillingly commit genocide by bringing in germs (not dangerous to us, but deadly to locals who haven't built immunity to them over centuries).

...not that anyone would expect a person who uses "Johnny Foreigner" to know that. You'd have to have spent 10 minutes of your worthless lives reading in order to know that.

This is why people like me - Johnny Foreigners - get jobs, money and houses. It's because we're somewhat educated. Whereas you...well, you think that tribe is protected by "lefties".

Edited by flb

HOLA449
HOLA4410
On 1/1/2019 at 8:52 PM, flb said:

Actually, the reason for protecting the land of that isolated tribe is that, having not had contact with civilisation, they have no immunity to diseases we couldn't care less about. Contact with civilisation would most likely wipe them all out - it's how native Americans were almost wiped out.

Feel free to begin here

Relevant quote:

"A specific example was Cortes' invasion of Mexico. Before his arrival, the Mexican population is estimated to have been around 25 to 30 million. Fifty years later, the Mexican population was reduced to 3 million, mainly by infectious disease."

That's why "civilised" people aren't allowed there - they'd unwillingly commit genocide by bringing in germs (not dangerous to us, but deadly to locals who haven't built immunity to them over centuries).

...not that anyone would expect a person who uses "Johnny Foreigner" to know that. You'd have to have spent 10 minutes of your worthless lives reading in order to know that.

This is why people like me - Johnny Foreigners - get jobs, money and houses. It's because we're somewhat educated. Whereas you...well, you think that tribe is protected by "lefties".

Nice bit of Google research flb and I always like to keep up with the bleedin obvious. I think you will probably find though that just about every country in the world was and is open to new strains of virus, and that includes the UK.  Somehow I think though that the North Sentinelese had other motivations for not wanting strangers on their territory, I might be wrong but as of yet I do not think broadband has reached their Island just yet and given the fact that they have had as close to zero contact with other people for thousands of years, I doubt very much they will be concerned about our bugs as they probably don't know what a bug is, though like you said they should be.

As is typical for internet warriors who go off on a ranting crusade, they usually miss the point, it is not for us to say if their reasons are just for not wanting migrants into their land, just as your opinions are worthless on the subject of immigration into the UK to some, not for me though of course, and regardless if they have won the noble peace prize and s*** gold bricks. And viruses and not the only thing people need to be worrying about being imported into their country, the NS had some d**k trying to bring them God, and we have probably had more than our fair share already of crappy ideologies, even if those that bring them have an IQ of 148, which is mine by the way?

HOLA4411
5 minutes ago, localhero1983 said:

Nice bit of Google research flb

....we studied this stuff back in the 8th grade...

It's only natural to want to protect a tribe when you know they'd be wiped out by some random strain of whatever virus.

Whoever wanted to "bring them God" would have got them to God in no time. The tribe itself may not have been aware of it, but in killing him they were fighting for their lives.

Edited by flb

HOLA4412
14 minutes ago, localhero1983 said:

just as your opinions are worthless on the subject of immigration into the UK to some

I'm sure they are, seeing how I hold dual citizenship. I fail to see what that has to do with the simple fact that one dumb missionary shouldn't be allowed to massacre an entire tribe..or what "the left" has to do with it. To me, that's just common sense.

Fwiw, my view on immigration is that it needs to be controlled. Unfortunately for the UK, it's not in a position to do that - unless you happen to know a British tribe whose numerous members are eager to pick cabbage or wipe butts in hospitals. I have yet to meet one.

My objection to "Johnny Foreigner" has more to do with the fact that it's dumb as hell to refer to people like that. It implies that a native somehow has more rights to..whatever. That's incredibly dumb. Citizenship doesn't make you better in any way. If you doubt that, feel free to take a walk through Hackney at night.

Edited by flb

HOLA4413
5 hours ago, flb said:

Fwiw, my view on immigration is that it needs to be controlled. Unfortunately for the UK, it's not in a position to do that - unless you happen to know a British tribe whose numerous members are eager to pick cabbage or wipe butts in hospitals. I have yet to meet one.

I know a tribe that, though unwilling, would be forced to do those jobs - they exist through vast webs of interconnected benefits cheats - I have personally known many such folk who exploit the system so hard, it makes my tax-paying blood boil. Big daddy government looks after those very well indeed. Their 'eagerness' for such jobs is irrelevant. I'm not particularly 'eager' for my job. But for the majority, work is a means to an end.

Force this tribe off benefits, and a) the UK welfare bill would likely halve, b) we wouldn't 'need' mass immigration, and c) demand for housing would lessen. Win-win-win for the average taxpaying working class Brit. But of course, the first party to withdraw benefits this way would lose the following election. It's easier to import hundreds of thousands of unskilled immigrants per year. That's a win-win-win for the present political and corporate globalists. Cheap labour, votes en masse from welfare recipients and immigrants, and unprecedented demand for housing and thus credit. Trebles all round for the bankers/globalists/politicians/whatever! The future does not look orange, it looks brown. 

HOLA4414
4 hours ago, Orb said:

Force this tribe off benefits, and a) the UK welfare bill would likely halve, b) we wouldn't 'need' mass immigration, and c) demand for housing would lessen. Win-win-win for the average taxpaying working class Brit. But of course, the first party to withdraw benefits this way would lose the following election

...which is why nobody is going to do it.

HOLA4415
7 hours ago, Orb said:

I know a tribe that, though unwilling, would be forced to do those jobs - they exist through vast webs of interconnected benefits cheats - I have personally known many such folk who exploit the system so hard, it makes my tax-paying blood boil. Big daddy government looks after those very well indeed. Their 'eagerness' for such jobs is irrelevant. I'm not particularly 'eager' for my job. But for the majority, work is a means to an end.

Force this tribe off benefits, and a) the UK welfare bill would likely halve, b) we wouldn't 'need' mass immigration, and c) demand for housing would lessen. Win-win-win for the average taxpaying working class Brit. But of course, the first party to withdraw benefits this way would lose the following election. It's easier to import hundreds of thousands of unskilled immigrants per year. That's a win-win-win for the present political and corporate globalists. Cheap labour, votes en masse from welfare recipients and immigrants, and unprecedented demand for housing and thus credit. Trebles all round for the bankers/globalists/politicians/whatever! The future does not look orange, it looks brown. 

+1