House Price Crash Forum

It's happening people...

EnglishinWales

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

This kind of thing is scary. Drug resistance is general is on the rise. Infectious diseases like TB have been imported back into the UK. What's more I know that there have TB cases close to home (for me) in Reading. As my Gran died of it, when my Mum was a child, I'm particularly concerned.

HOLA444
HOLA445

I work in the operating theatre of a Sussex hospital. 5 years ago. if you needed to give Vancomycin to patient with MRSA you had to take prescription to pharmacy for a special order and if it wasn't a consultant's signature on the drug chart the pharmacist he say "no".

We now keep a stock in the anaesthetic room....because we now have VRSA. We are now using Teicoplainin and gentamycin as ROUTINE prophylaxis 'cos cefuroxime doesn't work for far too much of the time. I am in the process of getting a lecture together for my colleagues about washing cuts and grazes as soon as they occur.....look up the first case of penicillin administration, to a police constable in Oxford I think. Go figure as the saying goes.....

HOLA446
HOLA447
On 23/01/2017 at 2:48 PM, EnglishinWales said:

Why doesn't anyone care about this. This is big.

There was a thread a year or two back predicting this.  Tragedy of the commons.  Given out like smarties to anyone with a sniffle - and fed to animals to satisfy our addiction to cheap meat. I despair of humanity sometimes.  One of my relatives is near constantly on antibiotics to manage recurring infections of an open wound (originally caused by a chiropodist cutting a toe nail too close, which eventually led to toe amputation).  I'm sadly expecting to get the call one day that the antibiotics no longer work. 

HOLA448
22 minutes ago, StainlessSteelCat said:

There was a thread a year or two back predicting this.  Tragedy of the commons.  Given out like smarties to anyone with a sniffle - and fed to animals to satisfy our addiction to cheap meat. I despair of humanity sometimes.  One of my relatives is near constantly on antibiotics to manage recurring infections of an open wound (originally caused by a chiropodist cutting a toe nail too close, which eventually led to toe amputation).  I'm sadly expecting to get the call one day that the antibiotics no longer work. 

Try honey or onions/garlic.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
1 hour ago, EnglishinWales said:

Don't we already have this going on in UK?

The use of antibiotics as growth promoters is banned in the EU, but I can't find any evidence of a ban on imported meat where antibiotics have been used as growth promoters. 

HOLA4411

Many people saw this coming. Pharmaceutical companies weren't interested in developing new antibiotics  that would only get occasional use, so we'll have to let it get quite bad before they pile in. I think they have a few avenues of attack that they suspect will yield good results.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Bleach is pretty effective at killing everything, so great for sterilising, but you obviously can't use it as an anti-biotic.

My suggestion would be to bleach the hell out of everything, frequently and I am sure the problem would be reduced.

HOLA4414
On 30/01/2017 at 10:16 PM, Will! said:

The use of antibiotics as growth promoters is banned in the EU, but I can't find any evidence of a ban on imported meat where antibiotics have been used as growth promoters. 

So are you saying Brexit will accelerate the appearance of drug resistant disease in the UK?

Clearly this will impact the older people who generally have weaker immune systems and were more likely to have voted Brexit.

HOLA4415

The EU does not prohibit the importation of meat where antibiotics have been used as growth promotors into the EU.  While the UK is a member of the EU it cannot prohibit the importation of such meat into the UK.

HOLA4416
39 minutes ago, Will! said:

The EU does not prohibit the importation of meat where antibiotics have been used as growth promotors into the EU.  While the UK is a member of the EU it cannot prohibit the importation of such meat into the UK.

Well perhaps that is rule we need then!!