House Price Crash Forum

Hull -UK City of Culture

HOLA441

HOLA442
HOLA443

Well, tbf and as pointed out on the other thread about Ull, it is culture, just not the type of culture envisaged by the Islington luvvies.  Culture comes in all guises and we are a multi cultural society, so this should be embraced as just a different and equally valuable form. ;)

HOLA444
9 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

Good for Hull a town that gave us Maureen Lipman and err Maureen Lipman.

Apparently Ronnie Pickering too.:mellow:

HOLA445

"The city was selected in 2013 amid some surprise, from a shortlist which included Dundee, Leicester and Swansea Bay."

Sweet Jesus. Why not include Airdrie just to make it fair.

HOLA446
HOLA447
18 minutes ago, stormymonday_2011 said:

Because there were not any drunks on the streets of any other major British cities on New Years Eve....

Of course, this sort of thing never happens in Surrey 

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/dec/25/street-brawl-100-people-breaks-out-in-woking-surrey

Not in Mikhail's part of Surrey. That's the important point here. 

HOLA448

It's the UK City of Culture award and not the European City of Culture award typically awarded to Glasgow in 1990 and Dublin in 1991.

It's a pretty effective way of jumbling up the datum line and meaning of culture and I guess eventually every town and city will have been given the award in the fullness of time.

Is it just a sort of way to be included in a cult or do the locations given the award make any special effort to be "cultured" in order to be chosen?

It seems to be a way of deciding which location will be chosen for holding that year's special "cultural" events rather than any judgment on the level of existing culture.

HOLA449
10 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

Not in Mikhail's part of Surrey. That's the important point here. 

Dorking has its dark side!:o

HOLA4410
5 minutes ago, billybong said:

It's the UK City of Culture award and not the European City of Culture award typically awarded to Glasgow in 1990 and Dublin in 1991.

It's a pretty effective way of jumbling up the datum line and meaning of culture and I guess eventually every town and city will have been given the award in the fullness of time.  

Is it just a sort of way to be included in a cult or do the locations given the award make any special effort to be "cultured" in order to be chosen?

It's given as a kick back to throw some investment at a down-and-out city (hence Dundee, Leicester and Swansea being the other possibilities). 

Considering that Hull is a Liebour city, and that Liebour has had some prominent cabinet members from Hull in that time, it's sad that the infrastructure I should so crap (they've just canned plans to electrify the railway - will stop at Selby - and they've postponed improving the road to the docks for another decade). Hell, even the northern powerhouse along the M62 corridor goes Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds....Newcastle!

Still, another 100 years and it'll be under water so they're probably just playing the long game. Thank heavens for the Siemens investment. 

HOLA4411
4 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

It's given as a kick back to throw some investment at a down-and-out city (hence Dundee, Leicester and Swansea being the other possibilities). 

Considering that Hull is a Liebour city, and that Liebour has had some prominent cabinet members from Hull in that time, it's sad that the infrastructure I should so crap (they've just canned plans to electrify the railway - will stop at Selby - and they've postponed improving the road to the docks for another decade). Hell, even the northern powerhouse along the M62 corridor goes Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds....Newcastle!

Still, another 100 years and it'll be under water so they're probably just playing the long game. Thank heavens for the Siemens investment. 

I like the infrastructure as it is ta.  There are still too many tourists finding their way to the Yorkshire coast despite the poor transport links. It is quite busy enough see picture in the link (new forum software doesn't like me posting piccies 

http://www.whitbygazette.co.uk/news/swing-bridge-closure-for-goth-weekend-aired-1-7506114

HOLA4412
29 minutes ago, One-percent said:

I like the infrastructure as it is ta.  There are still too many tourists finding their way to the Yorkshire coast despite the poor transport links. It is quite busy enough see picture in the link (new forum software doesn't like me posting piccies 

http://www.whitbygazette.co.uk/news/swing-bridge-closure-for-goth-weekend-aired-1-7506114

Whilst I am very much aligned to Riedquat's opinions on over-population, these places still need infrastructure to attract jobs and stop people like you and I migrating to London. Surprised that bridge closure had an impact on you. 

HOLA4413
20 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

Whilst I am very much aligned to Riedquat's opinions on over-population, these places still need infrastructure to attract jobs and stop people like you and I migrating to London. Surprised that bridge closure had an impact on you. 

Not so much the bridge closure, the story is in the photo, all those people.  The town is impassible in the summer and most weekends. 

HOLA4414

Just discovered that the student accommodation I lived in while at Hull University many years ago (Needler Hall,Cottingham..a surprisingly nice village) has been sold off to Aldi for a store. Not sure whether this adds to Hull's culture or not.:blink: 

HOLA4415

Apparently a Magnitude 3.9 Earthquake has struck 100 miles off shore from Scarborough, so probably 110 miles NE of Hull

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2528645/earthquake-scarborough-north-sea-yorkshire-magnitude-3-9-latest-news/

Just waiting for a religious nut UKIP Councillor to blame the quake on debauchery. Well they do have form:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-25793358

HOLA4416
4 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Apparently a Magnitude 3.9 Earthquake has struck 100 miles off shore from Scarborough, so probably 110 miles NE of Hull

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2528645/earthquake-scarborough-north-sea-yorkshire-magnitude-3-9-latest-news/

Just waiting for a religious nut UKIP Councillor to blame the quake on debauchery. Well they do have form:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-25793358

Oh, has fracking started in rydale?

HOLA4417
On 02/01/2017 at 5:41 PM, jay67 said:

Just discovered that the student accommodation I lived in while at Hull University many years ago (Needler Hall,Cottingham..a surprisingly nice village) has been sold off to Aldi for a store. Not sure whether this adds to Hull's culture or not.:blink: 

An Aldi store and a load of social housing too. We very nearly bought a house right opposite the site entrance, made an offer and then saw the plans on the EY planning website. Close shave...

HOLA4418
8 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Apparently a Magnitude 3.9 Earthquake has struck 100 miles off shore from Scarborough.

And  has allegedly caused twenty-million pounds worth of improvements to the area...

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

HOLA4419
15 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

And  has allegedly caused twenty-million pounds worth of improvements to the area...

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

Scabbie is a good day out and I'm reliably informed by double 0 seven that they serve parmos. 

HOLA4420

Archived